iacas

How To Properly Repair Ball Marks

155 posts / 70104 viewsLast Reply

2 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Just saw P. Reed popping grass up on #3. You should give him a lesson.

Unfortunately pros don’t care about what is best for the course. Only what is best for their putt immediately.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

Unfortunately pros don’t care about what is best for the course. Only what is best for their putt immediately.

They should be fined for hurting the course.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Aren't courses generally closed long enough after a PGA Tour event to heal anyway? Improperly repaired ball marks aren't the only damage done to them. There are also lots of divots in concentrated areas, worn out tracks of fairway from crossing areas for spectators, etc.?

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

Aren't courses generally closed long enough after a PGA Tour event to heal anyway? Improperly repaired ball marks aren't the only damage done to them. There are also lots of divots in concentrated areas, worn out tracks of fairway from crossing areas for spectators, etc.?

Many open the next day. They’ve already been closed for awhile before the event.

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Many open the next day. They’ve already been closed for awhile before the event.

Didn't know that. I know they close down beforehand, but I assumed they would need some time afterwards, as well. At the very least to tear down grandstands, hospitality tents, etc.

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oftentimes tournament courses will open Monday to the public to play, with the same Sunday pin placements, so you can essentially play the course the pros played.

hmm so it´s entirely pointless putting back grass divots on fairways? Other then it will work for a while before the grass dies? Sometimes with my lob wedge I dig deep as hell feels like I am getting the entire root system. Just about everybody puts them back. It kind of feel bad not to repair your mess.

9 hours ago, knott said:

hmm so it´s entirely pointless putting back grass divots on fairways? Other then it will work for a while before the grass dies? Sometimes with my lob wedge I dig deep as hell feels like I am getting the entire root system. Just about everybody puts them back. It kind of feel bad not to repair your mess.

Divots and pitch marks are two different things. I expect to have some oddities even in the fairway, but improper pitch mark repair is detrimental to how the course plays/if its worth playing.

Replacing a divot isnt a process (place grass where it came from), but repairing a pitch mark is (keep the green as smooth rolling and healthy as possible using the method at the beginning). 

I actually played with someone today that knew how to do it properly. Most people don't.