IGNORED

The 2017 Newport Cup at Talamore Resort (Pinehurst, NC)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just now, DaveP043 said:

Its certainly worth looking into playing #2, but be warned the price will knock your socks off, something in the range of $400 if you're not staying at the Pinehurst Resort.  There are a couple of other excellent Donald Ross courses you can play, for a lot less money, including MidPines, Pine Needles, and Southern Pines GC.  Also nearby is the Dormie Club, designed by Crenshaw and Core.  And for pure entertainment, you can play at Tobacco Road on your way back toward the Raleigh airport.

If I get picked, I'd definitely have to stop at Tobacco Road! I'm sure pictures don't quite do it justice.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, phillyk said:

If I get picked, I'd definitely have to stop at Tobacco Road! I'm sure pictures don't quite do it justice.

Some of the best photos and descriptions are here:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/tobacco-road-nc-usa/

And this is rather :offtopic:, so if we want to talk about it more, we should probably start a new thread

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

3 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Its certainly worth looking into playing #2, but be warned the price will knock your socks off, something in the range of $400 if you're not staying at the Pinehurst Resort.  There are a couple of other excellent Donald Ross courses you can play, for a lot less money, including MidPines, Pine Needles, and Southern Pines GC.  Also nearby is the Dormie Club, designed by Crenshaw and Core.  And for pure entertainment, you can play at Tobacco Road on your way back toward the Raleigh airport.

Yeah, I figured it would be expensive, but $400 is more than I expected. Might be worth it for me, though, because I likely won't get back to the Pinehurst area for a long time. I'm thinking after 5 rounds of golf, I probably won't want to play anything but a truly special course if I play again at all.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Some of the best photos and descriptions are here:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/tobacco-road-nc-usa/

And this is rather :offtopic:, so if we want to talk about it more, we should probably start a new thread

Fantastic set of photos.  Do you have any knowledge of websites that might have similar information on Talamore and Mid-South?  (Besides what is available on their website, obviously)

Just now, Golfingdad said:

Fantastic set of photos.  Do you have any knowledge of websites that might have similar information on Talamore and Mid-South?  (Besides what is available on their website, obviously)

No, I don't, I wish I did.  The Talamore website does have flyovers for both courses, that might be helpful.  

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, phillyk said:

Worth playing once. Then not much more. :)

21 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Captain's Gifts

1. Dark chocolate
  2. Dark Women
  3. ???

Anything Canadian.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Anything Canadian.

And for the other captain, was it Cherry Diet Coke?

Dave

FWIW, I am glad NC will not be played at Tobacco Road. It is as @DaveP043 pointed out worth playing for entertainment only (EDIT: and as @iacas pointed out too). I have played it twice. Beautifully maintained course but bit on gimmcky side. Stranz had a habit of shoving dunes in fairways that are actually not in play. Greens are silly too. It is NOT the 10th toughest course you can play in the US by any stretch of imagination.  

Mid-South and Talamore (drove past it) on the other hand are quality courses. Glad the party is going there instead.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

And for the other captain, was it Cherry Diet Coke?

Hell no! Diet???

Plus I drink less now. Invisalign. Hmmm I might actually be done by then though.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Anything Canadian.

I've got a Canadian tuxedo in my closet... Hmm...

-- Daniel

3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

FWIW, I am glad NC will not be played at Tobacco Road. It is as @DaveP043 pointed out worth playing for entertainment only (EDIT: and as @iacas pointed out too). I have played it twice. Beautifully maintained course but bit on gimmcky side. Stranz had a habit of shoving dunes in fairways that are actually not in play. Greens are silly too. It is NOT the 10th toughest course you can play in the US by any stretch of imagination.  

Mid-South and Talamore (drove past it) on the other hand are quality courses. Glad the party is going there instead.

I'm with @GolfLug @iacas @DaveP043that Tobacco Road is worth a play once.  It is too gimmicky for my tastes.  The other two are top notch courses.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Unfortunately I'll have to withdraw my name from the candidate pool.  My little guy's birthday is that weekend.  I guess I read the OP wrong the first time around, so apologies for missing that.  Nevertheless I look forward to following along with all you guys.  Should be an awesome time as always!!

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

• Administrator
2 hours ago, OrangeHog said:

Unfortunately I'll have to withdraw my name from the candidate pool.  My little guy's birthday is that weekend.  I guess I read the OP wrong the first time around, so apologies for missing that.  Nevertheless I look forward to following along with all you guys.  Should be an awesome time as always!!

Sorry to hear that. I've removed the award.

Thanks for the update.

P.S. Kids have a birthday every year, but the Newport Cup is only every two years. Just sayin'.

• Upvote 1

Wife gave me the thumbs up for this tonight. :banana::banana::banana:

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

10 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Captain's Gifts

1. Dark chocolate
  2. Dark Women
  3. ???

Dark irons...

d6ec6729-50ba-498f-a393-faa6c6627a27.jpg

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

3 hours ago, iacas said:

P.S. Kids have a birthday every year, but the Newport Cup is only every two years. Just sayin'.

Plus those kids have gotten to have a birthday for a number of years in a row. Time to be fair and give the Newport Cup its turn!

Just now, mvmac said:

Dark irons...

I dunno if I have a large enough bribe budget for those, or if they'd even make it to you if I purchased them anyways.

Note: This thread is 2393 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!