IGNORED

Who swings as fast on the course as on the driving range?

Lihu
Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What effort (feel or real) do you put on the course versus when practicing?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What's your number?

• 100% (because I never swing all out even on the range)
    • 95%
    • 90%
    • 85%
    • 80%
    • 75%
    • 70%
    • 65%
    • Less than 60%?

The topic about not making a full swing inside 150 yards got some people thinking about "flighting" shots as well as some posts about not swinging at full potential to improve accuracy. I know that if I'm inside 150 yards, I rarely hit with a full all out swing, and if so, there's usually a tree involved.

So, at the driving range I've talked to various people, and many of them state that they only swing with 80% the effort they put at the range on the course for the full distance of their clubs. This seems reasonable., but what if that's only a "feel" for them, and in reality they swing more than that or less?

Poll time. What's your number?

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

100%, but I'd specify that it's because I try to practice how I play. I don't try to swing harder or softer on the range or course for standard shots. For in between yardages on the course I might swing harder or softer with a club than on the range, or a bit harder on a drive if it needs to carry, but otherwise I'd say I swing at similar efforts.

I'll specify that, like @Pretzel, I want to practice like I play, but if I'm warming up I'll typically make overly fast swings without hitting a ball just to loosen up more. But when I hit a ball, it's the same shots I'd be doing on the course. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I am thinking 75% for me. Maybe a little less. I have too much metal, and screws holding stuff  together to swing much faster.  I have to really be careful, especially with my left wrist. It's the same on the range. 

I know when I do give it something extra, the ball does not go that much further, and/or is further off line than normal. I attribute this to my swing being unbalanced at impact. 

It's my opinion that if more golfers would slow down their swing, they would save more strokes. The idea of a mere mortal, without the swing strength the pros have, trying to swing like the pros,  doesn't make much sense when trying to save strokes. However, I also get how fun hitting a long, great shot every so often is for some. To each his own in that department. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

100%, but I'd specify that it's because I try to practice how I play. I don't try to swing harder or softer on the range or course for standard shots. For in between yardages on the course I might swing harder or softer with a club than on the range, or a bit harder on a drive if it needs to carry, but otherwise I'd say I swing at similar efforts.

This

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I went with 100% because I rarely visit a driving range.. maybe a few time in the winter months I'll go. I hate hitting off of the plastic mats it doesn't feel right plus, it's a PITA to get the green plastic that's burned into club soles off. My swing is fast, except for chip shots and obviously putting but, trying to swing slower just screws things up for me.

I practice on the golf course. Besides, it's actually what I'm going to playing on.. up hill / down hill lies, ball above or below the feet and all the other "quirky" lies a ball may be in. This past week I "parked" the wedges and  was practicing chipping with a 9 or 8 iron, the week before that I swapped the ZL Encore w/ Motore F3 regular for the F-6 w/ Ozik Black Tie stiff... other times I'll tinker with stances, grips and other stuff like that.

In my Bag Boy XLT-15 bag:
Cobra 10.5* Speed Pro S driver
Cobra 15* Speed Pro 3W
Cobra 20* Baffler Pro
Cobra UFI 4-PW,GW,SW,LW Graphite Cobra Melbourne II putter Ball = Pinnacle: FX Long Gold Cart = ClicGear 2.0 in yellow

I talked to one of my range buddies who taught for many years at Rancho Park, and he said "All out. That 'controlled swing' is complete BS. You should be putting everything you have into the swing. Once you try to control, you lose speed and direction."

I'll change my vote to 100% once I play a few rounds like this.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 10/21/2017 at 7:11 PM, dennyjones said:

I guess I have never given it a thought.    I try to swing the same whether I'm practicing or playing. 

Same here.

Like others, I try to make the range swings as close as possible to the course swings. 

The only exception to this is if I am working on a brand new priority piece I might slow it down for a couple swings and then slowly increase speed as I feel more comfortable with the new motion.

That being said, my "full swing" at both the range and the course is maybe 90% of how fast I can actually swing the club.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 minute ago, klineka said:

Like others, I try to make the range swings as close as possible to the course swings. 

The only exception to this is if I am working on a brand new priority piece I might slow it down for a couple swings and then slowly increase speed as I feel more comfortable with the new motion.

That being said, my "full swing" at both the range and the course is maybe 90% of how fast I can actually swing the club.

When you say "90% of how fast I can actually swing the club" do you mean with a ball and make reasonable contact or just swing in the air?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

5 minutes ago, Lihu said:

When you say "90% of how fast I can actually swing the club" do you mean with a ball and make reasonable contact or just swing in the air?

I mean with the ball and make reasonable contact. On each club, I have about 5-10 more yards available if I really get after it/make a hard swing. Example. my 165-170 club on a flat lie, no wind, middle of the fairway is a 7 iron all day. Just a smooth normal 7 iron. That being said, I can get a 7 iron out to 180 maybe 185 if I swung right up to as hard as I can without losing balance.

Same with a PW. Smooth normal PW is 135, but I can really get after it and get one 145 if necessary.

Edited by klineka

Just now, klineka said:

I mean with the ball and make reasonable contact. On each club, I have about 5-10 more yards available if I really get after it/make a hard swing. Example. my 165-170 club on a flat lie, no wind, middle of the fairway is a 7 iron all day. Just a smooth normal 7 iron. That being said, I can get a 7 iron out to 180 maybe 185 if I swung right up to as hard as I can without losing balance.

Makes sense, then maybe 90% is better after all?

I can also swing about 10% faster without getting too sore the next day, but might want to take a day off if I do. If I swing 15% to 20% faster, I can barely walk the next day because my glutes, hips and lower back muscles get really sore. I'd have to put in icy hot and stretch all day to loosen them up for the following day. Basically, I control the speed by how fast I want to transition my hips and rotate them. Mostly by controlling my rotational speed through impact, and my muscles are probably not used to the added stress.

I can't get my 7i out much further than I already do. 10% more swing doesn't get 10% more distance. Far from it. When I swing faster the ball just goes a lot higher proportional to the speed that I hit it. I can change the distance by delofting it, but on a normal shot the 7i would just continue on a higher trajectory and probably just spin more.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I chose 100% because the driving range swing is 100% of the same speed swing I have on the course. That 100% that I have on both the driving range and the course is not 100% of how fast I can swing overall.

3 minutes ago, klineka said:

I chose 100% because the driving range swing is 100% of the same speed swing I have on the course. That 100% that I have on both the driving range and the course is not 100% of how fast I can swing overall.

This is pretty much what I assumed from your previous post.

That kind of brings up another point. I'm also wondering about if people generally do some "over speed" training? Do many people swing faster on some strikes just to "strengthen" the muscles in the swing?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I swing the same both places because I try to practice and play the same. I can't say I never swing full out because on a rare occasion I have to hit something hard and I will go at it 100%, mind you this would be with a club no shorter than a 7 iron. It's all about distance. I can hit a wedge and a 9 iron the same distance, just with a slightly different swing. I might need to do that 

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

That kind of brings up another point. I'm also wondering about if people generally do some "over speed" training? Do many people swing faster on some strikes just to "strengthen" the muscles in the swing?

I can't see how this would help me, and it might cause problems, but I am no expert.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

2 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I swing the same both places because I try to practice and play the same. I can't say I never swing full out because on a rare occasion I have to hit something hard and I will go at it 100%, mind you this would be with a club no shorter than a 7 iron. It's all about distance. I can hit a wedge and a 9 iron the same distance, just with a slightly different swing. I might need to do that 

I can't see how this would help me, and it might cause problems, but I am no expert.

In terms of injury or form?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!