IGNORED

5 Iron or 5 Hybrid

Note: This thread is 1284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all

5 iron or 5 hybrid? Which and why?

I have the 5 iron (Ping G) in my bag. Pretty much only used for punching out of trouble.

Ready?

Go.

In my current playing set, I have a 5 iron (and 3 and 4 hybrid irons which Mizuno calls DLR, direct long iron replacement). But I am considering adding the 5 DLR because I also have a set in which the longest iron is a 6, with 3, 4, and 5 DLR and I hit that 5 DLR better than the 5 iron. It has taken me a while to figure that out. Hope that makes sense. -Marv

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I play a 5 iron and 4 iron just because irons are cooler than hybrids.  I’m sure I would do fine if I exchanged them for hybrids.  Maybe slightly better.  It is hard for me to hit it under low branches without a reasonably low lofted iron though.

31 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

(and 3 and 4 hybrid irons which Mizuno calls DLR, direct long iron replacement).

@MrFreeze, MC brings up a key factor.

Are you looking for a traditional hybrid - shaft length between a FW and an iron - or are you looking for an iron-replacement hybrid, which has roughly the same shaft length and loft as the iron it would replace.

Some people like the 5H, others don't (4H is the only one I carry).

You can always find a fitter and do a gap analysis on your longer irons. If, for example, your 5i and 6i both go 160 yds., you might be better off with a 5 hybrid. (Gap analysis originated on wedges).

Thanks @WUTiger . I should have clarified. I have traditional 3 and 4 hybrids. I will sometimes carry one or both. But I have found that the DLRs give me satisfactory distances not much less than the hybrids. And I would need to practice with hybrids much more than I do, to achieve the consistency of my strikes with the DLRs. -Marv

I think Hybrids are a disease.  Yet I too carry a 4h and 5h clubs.  However, as we speak, I’m awaiting my new 5 iron to arrive via UPS and my 5h will go to the golf club grave yard, deep within my garage. When getting out of trouble (dense grass), I hit the irons sooo much better than a wanna be “wood-metal” they like to now call a “hybrid.”   I rarely pull out my 4h either.  

9 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

Hello all

I have the 5 iron (Ping G) in my bag. Pretty much only used for punching out of trouble.

Ready?

Go.

Depends heavily upon the golfer. If you're distances are shorter, use a hybrid. If you can hit your 5i 180-200 yards you should use that.

Hybrids are usually better out of rough or from bad situations, but that's only for me. I hit my irons terrible on the course anyway, so if I need a 220 yard shot my hybrid is happily in my hands. I dread the 190 yard shot with my 5i and likewise the 200 yard shot with my 4i. Hybrids are way more comfortable to hit because of their design, but I'm rarely in position to use one except when I'm in big trouble off the tee.

13 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

But I have found that the DLRs give me satisfactory distances not much less than the hybrids.

Good to know. I've never tried any DLRs.

36 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Good to know. I've never tried any DLRs.

Well, remember at 72 I don't hit ANY club as far as I once did. So others might hit their hybrids much farther. But I know that the JPX Fli-Hi DLRs that can come with a set of JPX-800 HDs definitely fly farther that the irons they would replace. They are supposed to have "hot" faces. The same is true with the MX Fli Hi DLRs that came with my MX-100's. I sometimes replace the 4 and 5 irons in my MX-200s with those; kind of a mixed set. (O Lord! I have wa-a-a-y to many clubs!) Point is: I really do recommend the DLRs; I'm a fan!. Best regards, -Marv 

13 hours ago, TRACON said:

I think Hybrids are a disease.  Yet I too carry a 4h and 5h clubs.  However, as we speak, I’m awaiting my new 5 iron to arrive via UPS and my 5h will go to the golf club grave yard, deep within my garage. When getting out of trouble (dense grass), I hit the irons sooo much better than a wanna be “wood-metal” they like to now call a “hybrid.”   I rarely pull out my 4h either.  

I guess we'll disagree on your first sentence.  I hit hybrids all the time and hit them much better than longer irons, especially out of the rough.  And you should hit a hybrid like your irons, not like a metal-wood.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MarvChamp said:

But I know that the JPX Fli-Hi DLRs that can come with a set of JPX-800 HDs definitely fly farther that the irons they would replace

I tried the original, stand-alone Fli-Hi iron hybrids circa 2011. Felt good on most shots, but I would have needed an expensive shaft upgrade to get what I wanted. So, I ended up not buying them.

Glad to hear Fli-Hi went to DLR - this makes it easier to integrate into Mizuno set.

On 10/28/2017 at 7:17 PM, MrFreeze said:

Ready?

Go.

Depends on what you're looking for. A 5-iron and a 5-hybrid aren't necessarily interchangeable. I know players that have a 5-iron and instead of using a 4-iron they use a 5-hybrid. A 5-hybrid will typically go higher and farther than a 5-iron. Focus less on the hybrid "number" and more on the loft and how far you carry it.

For example, TaylorMade M1 hybrids compared to 770 long irons, different loft and length and obviously the head design/construction is much different.

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 10.37.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-29 at 10.37.37 PM.png

I love my hybrids and used to carry a 5h but had to drop it as i carry 3, 4 and 6h and couldnt fit the 5h in. Just choke down on the 4 if i need to but may look at a decent 5h (although really wanting a 4w)

7 hours ago, WUTiger said:

I tried the original, stand-alone Fli-Hi iron hybrids circa 2011. Felt good on most shots, but I would have needed an expensive shaft upgrade to get what I wanted. So, I ended up not buying them.

Glad to hear Fli-Hi went to DLR - this makes it easier to integrate into Mizuno set.

Yeah. My JPX set had 4 and 5 irons. I got the JPX Fli-Hi 3 and 4 from a friend who said he didn't like the shaft. I ddn't either, at first. Now I'm OK with it. I haven't pulled out the papers but the 4 Fli-Hi seems shorter than the 4 iron, when compared side to side. Anyway I've noted that I seldom use the 4 iron any more, and the Fli-Hi 3 gets a real workout. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back to hitting again soon. Regards, -Marv

I carry a 5 iron and 4 hybrid (adjustable lie/loft).  Use both of them often during a round depending upon the golf shape needed.  I don't hit either one of them a ton, probably 160ish for the iron, and 170ish for the hybrid.  As you mention, often use the 5 as a punch out.  I don't get the sort of height I want to on the iron, but feel that I have a little more control on the left/right aspect than with my hybrid.  I'll often use the 5 on the tee for par 3's because the tee gives me that confidence that I can get it in the air with something other than a screaming bullet that will run through the green.  If there's no trouble in front of my target and I think the ball can run too the green, I'll use it there too.  If I want to get the ball up and the missing left/right is less of a concern than what's in front of me, then I'll use the hybrid.

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

Depends on what you're looking for. A 5-iron and a 5-hybrid aren't necessarily interchangeable. I know players that have a 5-iron and instead of using a 4-iron they use a 5-hybrid. A 5-hybrid will typically go higher and farther than a 5-iron. Focus less on the hybrid "number" and more on the loft and how far you carry it.

For example, TaylorMade M1 hybrids compared to 770 long irons, different loft and length and obviously the head design/construction is much different.

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 10.37.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-10-29 at 10.37.37 PM.png

Thanks. My 4h is about the same distance as my trad loft 3i. 

I thought hybrids were about 1 club longer than an iron if both were the same loft?

Edited by Midpack

• iacas changed the title to 5 Iron or 5 Hybrid

When I bought my set I got 3 iron on up and played just irons for a while.  I tend to hook hybrids.  I think I have figured out how not to hook them.  Right now I have 2 through 5 hybrid (Callaway Apex) and 6-PW Callaway Apex CF16 irons.  My bag looks like I am going to put on a puppet show but I don't care, the hybrids are easier to hit.  I count on my 5 for 180-195 yards.  I can hit the iron about the same.  I just feel over time I get a better result with hybrids.  With the Apex hybrid I get what feels like a heavy blow.  I can get better results out of the rough.   The 5 hybrid is hard to hit low but I can hit my 6 iron 180 if I have to.

I don't understand the comments about needing an iron to hit out from under trees.  I can certainly punch out with a hybrid and I can hit a low punch with my 4 or three hybrid for sure.

When I started I had 3 & 4 hybrids but I couldn't hit them to save my life.  I have gotten better over the years so I should try them again but I really like my long irons and can hit them good.

Must have a 3,4 & 5 iron...  money clubs!!!   I have a couple of iron sets that have 2 irons I take out every now and then.  I have even looked for a 1 iron as I have never see one or hit one and really want to try it.

If you can hit the long irons, keep them.  If you can't, look into the hybrids.

Note: This thread is 1284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!