IGNORED

Are You a Brand Snob?

PaddyMac
Note: This thread is 1708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Brand Snobbery  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a brand snob? Do you favor the Titleists/Callaways/TaylorMades/etc. over the Snells/RAMs/Wishons/etc.?

• Yes
    • No
    • Ehhhhhh…

Just now, iacas said:

You should have voted yes. Callaway and Mizuno are big brands.

I know. Hence the smiley face.

I still think "Ehhhh" because I used to have a mix of way more things in my bag, including Cleveland wedges, a Cobra hybrid, a Bridgestone ball (instead of a Callaway Chrome Soft now), a Scotty Cameron putter (it was a gift, but I didn't like it as much as my Odyssey)...

• Like 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Just now, sjduffers said:

I know. Hence the smiley face.

I still think "Ehhhh" because I used to have a mix of way more things in my bag, including Cleveland wedges, a Cobra hybrid, a Bridgestone ball (instead of a Callaway Chrome Soft now), a Scotty Cameron putter (it was a gift, but I didn't like it as much as my Odyssey)...

Those are all big brands.

The question isn't are you a ONE-brand snob.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Those are all big brands.

The question isn't are you a ONE-brand snob.

Then, I must be a brand snob... maybe. Or, those big brands are just more available and easy to get one's paws on to try.  Anyway, my bad for mis-reading the question.

But I still like the sound (in my head) of "Ehhhh".  Maybe because I am distantly related to Canadians, eh? ;-) :beer:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I voted eeeh.

I will say I was goofing around in a sporting goods place a couple years ago and hit this Armour driver and I was nailing it.  I was like eh 60 bucks on sale?

First time at the range pounded it dead straight into the fence.  Second swing leaked a bit right but within a few yards of the first.  The club just matched my swing at that time.  Third swing it made a funny noise and ball came up short.  Fourth swing weird noise and I looked down and the face to top of club connection was cracked all along the top.

I am sure I don’t swing a driver over even 105 or so very often so...I returned it and bought clothes instead.

My last set was Mitsushiba, and my current set is TaylorMade, but price played a big part. So, I guess I'm not a brand snob, even if my TM's are better than whatever you're playing. ;-)

I don't mind the mix myself, granted it isn't top of the line clubs, but still good enough. 

Drivers: Ping G10 & TaylorMade Burner

Irons: 3 to PW Mizuno MP52's

Wedge: Cleveland CG12 60 Degree

Putter: Wilson Ultra Blk

Simple and easy. 

• 6 months later...

Yes, I'm a brand snob.

I don't think I would ever buy clubs from a non major brand. If I had to choose between two major brands and one of them performed slightly worse than the other, but looked better, I am going with looks. Because of the confidence it would give me. I'm okay with mixing brands in my bag. But I like to keep my Driver/woods the same brand. My irons (and possibly wedges) the same brand. Putter is a 2016 Scotty Newport that I don't see changing anytime soon.

As far as my bag, it needs to be pretty much monotone in color with minimal logos. Also, it cannot be from a club manufacturer. It would bother me too much to have a Titleist bag when I have some Nike clubs in it. I use an all black Ogio Grom bag from ~2011. I've recently been eyeing the Jones utility stand bag.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

I don't think so, I have a TM driver, Odyssey putter, use Kirkland Signature balls and Titleist everything else.  It just seemed to work out that way, what I liked, what worked for me and the deals I could get

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

Nope, I'll buy whatever works best in my price range. I have everything from Ping to Wilson to Nike. I've had Snell, Monster, and OnCore golf balls. Makes no difference to me who manufactures the equipment as long as it does what I need it to do.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

On 11/1/2017 at 11:34 AM, lastings said:

yes and no.   I just bought a new set of irons over the summer.   Went with Mizuno.   Srixons were definitely in the running, as were Titleists.  
I just wanted what felt right.   That said, If I bought a new wood today, I just can't see myself getting an Adams, or even a Mizuno or Srixon wood.  Even if it felt the best when testing them.   No idea why, just don't think I'd be happy with it.  

I get notifications from this thread because I posted in it.  Every time it’s a thread that draws my attention. 

The more I think about it, the bigger of a brand snob I am.  Not just in what I buy, but what I play as well.  For example, I have a miura 56 degree.  I hit it about 115. If I have a 120 shot, I’ll play that club over my Cleveland 53 degree.  No idea why, it’s subconscious. 

That said, I play snell balls now. Mostly. Which seems like a non-brand snob thing to do. But, I know I wouldn’t if it weren’t for the validation I get from this site.  So, not brand snob and also, brand snob. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

No brand loyalty here: 

Callaway Driver and Mini Driver

Callaway 3 Wood

Adams 4 Wood

Nickent Hybrids

Cleveland Irons

Cleveland Sand Wedge

C3i Lob Wedge

Oddessy Putter

Wilson Golf Balls

Ping Cart Bag/ Sun Mountain Carry Bag

I play what works for my game no matter who makes it. I fitted each individual club to my needs and thus they all play their role.  

Definitely, yeah. 

Not particularly loyal to any one brand, I have a Cobra driver, Nike 3w, Srixon 2h, Nike 3-pw, Vokey wedges, Cleveland putter, and snell or vice balls. 

I associate most off brands like Ram or Tour Edge for example with cheaper quality, though I’m sure that is not always correct. 

In the last year I’ve seen a lot more people gaming Snells and Vices (myself included) and feel that their reputations are now such that they’re not really ‘off-brand’ anymore. Maybe even a little trendy, for good reason. 

Alright I am changing my answer from ehhhhhhhhh to yes..... Hello I am Shakogolfer and I am a brand snob.

Now that I have been fitted for Edel wedges and a putter I would not want to use any other brand.

As for my driver I have an old Adams Speedline I am looking to upgrade soon.  I would love either a Ping, Titleist, Callaway, or a Srixon driver.  I don't think I could get myself to buy a TM driver.

I use a set of AP2 irons since my club pro got me a killer deal, but I have always been a Titleist fan and if I were shopping for a new set they would probably be Ping, Mizuno, Titleist, or Miura.  I would probably pass on TM and Callaway.

The only thing I don't think I am a snob about is my golf ball.  I just play what I get a deal on.... Srixon, Bridgestone, Callaway, yes even TaylorMade.  I don't use Titleist much because of cost really that is my only caveat.  Give me a Kirkland ball for all I care.  I just want a soft feel around the greens.

I think it's hard for me to say at this point. 

1. I was fitted with a Ping Driver back in the day with a horrible swing and I've kept with it as it's still hitting the ball well even with my mishits.  Because of that performance, my first look at a 3 wood was Ping and turns out I love that club and hit it incredibly well. 
  2. Irons were a no-name knockoff brand (GigaGolf) until about a month ago, though I've switched to a brand of irons I've always respected and loved when I could get a chance to hit them (Mizuno). 
  3. For wedges, I had a Cleveland 52* that I lost before getting a Ping Glide 52 (influenced by my driver, wanting to keep that the same brand as well as the reviews here) and loving it.  Because of the 52's performance, I stuck with Ping to get my 56*, and will when I get the go ahead to upgrade my 60* as well.
  4. My first putter was a Wal-Mart Dunlop Anser style putter.  I then upgraded to a real Anser after a couple of years and the even more recently got fitted and got an Edel.
  5. Titleist bag (just liked where everything was positioned on it and looks sharp)
  6. Vice Golf balls, but have hit ChromeSofts, ProV1/x, and Taylormade balls.  Still like my Vice!

So I feel like I'm becoming snobby after good experiences with certain companies and equipment.  Slowly finding what I like in feel and performance and then trying to only use that.  I will give original preference if/when I swap out my 3 iron for a 5 wood during club testing but if I hit something better, I'm going to go with performance over everything.  If it's marginal, I'll stick with a company I currently have just to have some continuity in my bag....

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Nope..mixed bag:

Callaway Big Bertha 460 Driver

Tommy Armour Diamond Scot Driver

TaylorMade Firesole Driver

TaylorMade Rescue Hybrids 2,3,4

Bazooka Titanium Irons 5,7,9

Tommy Armour Diamond Scot Sand Wedge

Warrior 60 Lob Wedge

Zebra Putter

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, ghalfaire said:

Not me.  I have a Ping driver, Cobra 3 Wood, Adams 3 & 4 hybrid, Mizuno 5I-560 wedge irons, Taylor Made putter, and Sun Mountain bag.  How's that for eclectic equipment? 

Not me either.  Callaway Razr driver, PE2 irons, Ping putter (won in tournament about 25 years ago), Warbird 3 wood, Golden Bear SW (was my Dad's), and Sun Mountain bag and cart.  All except the PE2's purchased used. I also use a big mix of balls, but favor Titleist and Bridgestone.  The same goes for my fly rods and fishing equipment; and I am a scratch fly fisherman. :-D

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Yes, I am a 100% Titleist brand snob. Balls, bag, wedges, irons, hybrid, fw and driver. All have the same classic Titleist logo.

I am a traditionalist. They treat me well with the best customer service in the business IMO, their clubs fit me well, and I like the strong, high-end brand they have created over the past 85 or 86 years. They have proven themselves as one of, if not THE top brand in golf going back to the 1930s. Name me another golf brand who has been doing it at that level for even 1/2 that time. They have earned my respect. Been playing exclusively Titleist since the early 2000s and have no reason or desire to change. Even though there may be other top manufacturers out there who can offer a little something more, here or there, overall, I feel the whole Titleist brand (the sum of the parts) outweighs all others.

Updated bag 6-5-18 .JPG

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1708 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!