IGNORED

Golf Goggles/Glasses

iceman777
Note: This thread is 2273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I find as I am getting older , I need to wear glasses while playing . Can't find a pair of glasses/goggles that have frames that extend down enough, so when I look at the ball,I.m not looking below the frame . Any suggestions on where to shop? Thanks

• Administrator
1 hour ago, iceman777 said:

I find as I am getting older , I need to wear glasses while playing . Can't find a pair of glasses/goggles that have frames that extend down enough, so when I look at the ball,I.m not looking below the frame . Any suggestions on where to shop? Thanks

Here's my suggestion: tilt your head down so you're looking at the ball out of the center of your eyes and through the center of your glasses, not below the frames.

Seriously, if you're looking near the bottom of your frames, you're doing it wrong.

Glasses wearer here…

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Here's my suggestion: tilt your head down so you're looking at the ball out of the center of your eyes and through the center of your glasses, not below the frames.

Seriously, if you're looking near the bottom of your frames, you're doing it wrong.

Glasses wearer here…

Thats one of the main things i took away from the S&T book, As a fellow glasses wearer theres nothing worse than trying to hit a blurry white blob on the ground .

I was always told that not keeping the chin up stopped a full shoulder turn and i suppose if you are trying to keep the flex in the trail knee and restricting the hip turn like a lot of instructions claims you have to do then it may prevent it. Thing is, you dont have to drop the chin that much to be able to see the ball.

I get people saying i should get laser eye surgery but there are 3 resons i cant

1. My eyesight apparently "isnt bad enough" despite being blind as a bat!

2. Still pretty pricey and not gauranteed to last

3. Lasers!! last thing i want is a wannabe Bond villain shooting lasers into my eyes :-D. I hate anything touchng my eyes so this would be the worst!

• Like 2

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

21 hours ago, iacas said:

First this ^^^^

Then, if you still need glasses, Oakley makes prescription lenses, the director of golf and one of the pros at my course use them while playing golf. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• iacas changed the title to Golf Goggles/Glasses
1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

Then, if you still need glasses, Oakley makes prescription lenses, the director of golf and one of the pros at my course use them while playing golf. 

I have two pair of these. They are high quality and much less expensive than I would have thought. I would highly recommend them if it's within your budget @iceman777.

Unfortunately for me, the bifocal transitions are in a slightly lower position than they are on my regular glasses and that's a difficult adjustment for my eyes to make. But I do use them in the car and on the water.

Jon

8 hours ago, RussUK said:

Lasers!! last thing i want is a wannabe Bond villain shooting lasers into my eyes :-D. I hate anything touchng my eyes so this would be the worst!

Awesome line Russ!  :beer:

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

8 hours ago, RussUK said:

Thats one of the main things i took away from the S&T book, As a fellow glasses wearer theres nothing worse than trying to hit a blurry white blob on the ground .

I was always told that not keeping the chin up stopped a full shoulder turn and i suppose if you are trying to keep the flex in the trail knee and restricting the hip turn like a lot of instructions claims you have to do then it may prevent it. Thing is, you dont have to drop the chin that much to be able to see the ball.

I get people saying i should get laser eye surgery but there are 3 resons i cant

1. My eyesight apparently "isnt bad enough" despite being blind as a bat!

2. Still pretty pricey and not gauranteed to last

3. Lasers!! last thing i want is a wannabe Bond villain shooting lasers into my eyes :-D. I hate anything touchng my eyes so this would be the worst!

in 1998 I had cateract surgery. No laser, but actual lens replacement. Same day surgery, about 45 mins or so. Now my vision is 20/15 distance, but fixed focus. I still need corrective lenses for close up/computer. I find the cheap drug store diopter variety work pretty well, except both eyes are not identical. For golfing, just normal sun glasses suffice.  One other problem and probably one that is not easily fixed, is my hyper vision where I see double at certain angles. Gives me good excuse though, "I aimed at the wrong ball".

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I have a few pairs of Oakleys with prescription lenses - a pair of regular glasses and a pair of sunglasses. Never had any issue with them, though I do wish the G30 Prism lenses were a bit darker. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I have bifocals for off-course use. On the course I have a pair of glasses ( with distance prescription only) with the transition lens which give me the sunglass lens in the sun. Only challenge is when I'm posting a score on the scorecard - sometimes have trouble seeing I recorded a "3" when I meant to put down an "8" :whistle:

• Upvote 2

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

I have no problem wearing my bifocals on the course.  I'd read of people having issues with them, but it hasn't been a problem.  I also have a pair of prescription polarized sunglasses, just distance corrected, that I wear more for fishing than for golf.  I've never been able to get comfortable with sunglasses on the golf course.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator

What do you think, @iceman777?

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks all for the responses . My current glasses are on the small frame size . I will definitely check out  sports glasses with larger frames , probably sunglasses . Oakley seems to fit the bill , though kind of expensive .

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, iceman777 said:

Thanks all for the responses . My current glasses are on the small frame size . I will definitely check out  sports glasses with larger frames , probably sunglasses . Oakley seems to fit the bill , though kind of expensive .

Did you read the first response?

I don't think you need new glasses.

2 hours ago, iceman777 said:

My bifocals are small frames, and I can see the ball just fine at address looking over the top of the close vision part of the lens

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator
21 minutes ago, iceman777 said:

Ill try a new setup , but I think Ill still try  a new pair as well

You don't have a Member Swing topic. Maybe consider starting one.

I wear bifocals with transition material so they darken in the sun, and the near/far invisible line is set low so i mostly see out of the far prescription, including the golf ball at address.

My problem is that my bifocals (continuous multifocals really) have a very narrow field of vision, so almost any sideway move of the head blurs the ball. In a way, it's nice to know i moved my head a bit, but it hurts the shot when i do, in more ways than one! I will consider going back to distant correction only in my next pair of glasses (i can almost see fine without glasses at close range anyway) and eliminate that problem, as I don't think i can get rid of all movement in the head...

Edited by sjduffers

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Note: This thread is 2273 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!