IGNORED

Shoes for Plantar fasciitis

Note: This thread is 2106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last June I came down with a great case of Plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I struggled to finish out the golf season, but had to sacrifice walking most my rounds.
With 2 month till I start golfing again I am in need of a new pair of golf shoes. Unfortatly, this condition is not going 100% away. One wrong step and I am back to battling the pain. Therefore I have to be super conscience of my feet!

I am looking for a decent pair, not overly expensive, not dirt cheap. I need a pair that I can walk a course.
They either need to be geared toward those suffering from Plantar fasciitis, or I will need to utilize a Plantar fasciitis insole.

If the latter is the case, can anyone recommend a good Plantar fasciitis insole?

I have already bought 5 different pairs and only 1 is decent. Full insole, good support, but $40 a pair!

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Were you medically diagnosed with PF? If not, you might have bone spurs on your heel. The symptoms are almost the same. Bone spurs have a shorter life span with proper therapy.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have insoles by Powersoul that work well. A specialty running store is a good place to go to get advice and look at a bunch of different insoles.

I'd be wary of insoles or inserts that don't cost that much. $40 is the standard price for these.

Also, the insoles aren't going to give you complete relief. They will definitely help, but I'd recommend stretching in addition to wearing the insoles. Stretch out your calves for sure. I'd also recommend putting a tennis ball under your foot and moving the tennis ball around.

Edited by DeadMan
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, chilepepper said:

Have you consulted a podiatrist? 

Yes

1 hour ago, Patch said:

Were you medically diagnosed with PF? If not, you might have bone spurs on your heel. The symptoms are almost the same. Bone spurs have a shorter life span with proper therapy.

Yes,
Dr, told me to ice, stretch, etc. Wear insoles..

However, it just takes 1 wrong step hopping out of bed and I can tweak it.

In my Grom:

Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

As previously mentioned a specialty running store would be worth checking out. My wife goes to Road Runner Sports and gets custom insoles for her hiking and workout shoes. They cost about 90 bucks a pair. She swears by them . You walk on a treadmill and stand on some other device iirc and a computer driven thingamabob makes you customs

I had this problem 3-4 years ago.

was told by my dr  ( a runner) to not use soft soled shoes, and stretch out the tendon by putting your toes on a wall, heel on floor and stretch, it worked, but then the same season The New York Times came out with a short article on how to stop the pain...I have used this method and recommended it to 3 in laws. It worked for them or at least they told me it did . It is at 

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/activity/treat-plantar-fasciitis?utm_source=sharetools&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website

hope this works for you

tommy t

On 2/1/2018 at 3:33 PM, tommy t said:

I had this problem 3-4 years ago.

was told by my dr  ( a runner) to not use soft soled shoes, and stretch out the tendon by putting your toes on a wall, heel on floor and stretch, it worked, but then the same season The New York Times came out with a short article on how to stop the pain...I have used this method and recommended it to 3 in laws. It worked for them or at least they told me it did . It is at 

https://www.nytimes.com/guides/well/activity/treat-plantar-fasciitis?utm_source=sharetools&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=website

hope this works for you

tommy t

Thanks, I am going to add this to my pre-post run routine and my daily routine.

I was instructed and advised to do the calve wall stretch.

https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/plantar-fasciitis-stretches#stretching

In my Grom:

Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I used to have an issue with my left foot, but I am more careful when buying shoes now, and have generally eliminated the problem. For me, Footjoy shoes are perfect. Just the right amount of support, and in the right places. I used to wear FJ Contour shoes exclusively, but I have found that their other high-end shoes are good as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

I've had PF off and on for about 10 years. When I was first diagnosed I had a podiatrist order a custom-fitted set of insoles that cost around $360 and are projected to last about 10 years. I use them in my walking shoes and after 8 years they're still in good shape. 

You can also buy Dr. Scholl's inserts which cost about $50 at Walmart and last about three years. I use them in my golf shoes and dress shoes. 

My podiatrist also recommended three other things -- ibuprofen, stretching the arch before and after golf or long walks, and ice afterward. I keep 16-oz bottles of frozen water in the freezer and use them after golf or long walks. I just roll them back and forth under the arch for about 30 minutes. 

Edited by RandyBobbitt
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

9 minutes ago, RandyBobbitt said:

I've had PF off and on for about 10 years. When I was first diagnosed I had a podiatrist order a custom-fitted set of insoles that cost around $360 and are projected to last about 10 years. I use them in my walking shoes and after 8 years they're still in good shape 

This. My insoles cured my PF, and now I don't even have to wear them that often. They cost $400 out of pocket, but hey, it worked.

Colin P.

I sell a awesome set of insoles in my office. Unfortunately they are medical grade and not sold to the public. Message me  if you are interested in them and I can give you more information. I work with PF all the time. Great thing is they are rather affordable. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I broke a bone in my right foot three years ago and it took a year or so to actually heal but still had some pain occassionally.  Last summer my right heel started bothering me to the point that the pain was awful if I walked much at all.  I went back to my doctor thinking it was related to the original broken bone. He xrayed it and didn't see a problem and diagnosed it as plantars fasciitis.  He gave me a traction boot to wear while sleeping. I was amazed that after a few nights that 90% of the pain was gone. I wore it for maybe a month or so then quit using it. I haven't had any more problems and have no idea why it hasn't returned since I haven't been using the traction boot for months. The boot was a miracle cure for me. 

I had this happen a few times when I was younger. When this would happen I would stand on my stairs with the balls of my feet on the stair and my heel hanging off and SLOWLY put most of my body weight on the heel of the foot that it hurt. After a few minutes the pain would subside. Each time it happens it took a few months for it to fully go away.

Edited by freshmanUTA

On 5/4/2018 at 1:41 PM, RandyBobbitt said:

I keep 16-oz bottles of frozen water in the freezer and use them after golf or long walks. I just roll them back and forth under the arch for about 30 minutes. 

Without a doubt, the frozen water bottles is one of the best pieces of advice I ever received for PF.  Relief is almost instant.  The other was to use a firm elastic wrap/support/brace for the arch of the foot.  When I found that band, I never went back to inserts.  Within a week or so of wearing, my PF was gone.  I’ve only had one or two brief recurrences.  But within a day or so of wearing the band again, it’s gone.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had PF in both feet. Best thing for me after getting shots in both heels to calm things down were custom orthotics and rarely going barefoot. Every time I go barefoot too much it flares up. 

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Note: This thread is 2106 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!