Jump to content
IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic


iacas

Recommended Posts

After 3 years of almost never playing the driver and not even having a 3 wood (thought a long time that my 3 hybrid is my 3 wood 😃)  I decided that buying a different driver and 3 wood with stiff shafts would be the answer. So the last 5 rounds I purposely hit my driver on every hole that was longer than my possible drive. 
 

And man it is fun. For the first time in my life I’m near the green with my first shot on some shorter par 4s, I can actually try to get on a par 5 in two (still hasn’t happened but it’s bound to) and I have cut the corner over the trees several times now. 
 

Par 4 holes that used to be 4 iron 4 iron for me are now (when it works) driver - 7 iron or shorter. And that works wonders. And par 4s that were 4 iron - 7 iron are now driver - wedge. It’s much easier hitting greens with wedges than mid irons...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...

I really respect, and appreciate folks who think out the box. They are leaders. Not followers. 

I was at the d-range this morning. (Avi Resort/Mojave GC/Laughlin, NV). I met a guy about my age, who trollied his bag of clubs when ever possible. Much like I do. 

Our distances, and ball flights were even quite similar also. 

He had a Clicgear trolley, but there was an (after market?) 4th wheel attached to it. It was a surveyor's wheel, used for measuring distances. 

He had a quick connect/disconnect mounted on the main post of his Clicgear, which he made from scratch. The extra measuring wheel he said he picked up at yard sale for a few dollars. 

Yes it measured distances in feet, but with a few quick brain calculations, he could convert those feet into yards quite easily. Plus he said it was quicker than grabbing, and punching buttons on his gps unit. He just reads the number, computes it, and pushes "reset" as needed. 

The irony of this is I tried this years ago, but lost interest, and didnt carry on with it. I think someone came out and marketed a meter that would just click on an existing trolley wheel. 

After looking at his handy work, it dawn on both of us that the extra wheel was almost the same diameter as the existing trolley wheels. A few thoughts were shared. A quick, minor drill, and weld job would allow the measuring wheel to be mounted on the existing axle/hub.

As we left the d-range we agreed to play 18 holes Monday. I will check on his handy work again at that time.

Btw, If in the Laughlin area, I highly recommed this golf course. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As the New England golf season comes to a close I couldn’t be happier with the way I played.  My scores, swing and overall game were better than ever.  What really pleased me was the fact that I KNEW what was working and it really all went back to ADDRESS position.  Get that correct and no other compensations were needed.  Bad address positions led to compensations that were just band aids.  
 

I have to give credit to iacas and a few others here who pointed out my lack of knee flex with my irons when I posted my swing.  Again, an address position corrected.

On the equipment side, I made a driver change from my M2 to a G400max based on accuracy over distance.  I didn’t care if I gave up 5-10 yards because the Ping was so accurate I would laugh when I hit it.  I ended up gaining distance because I could swing harder and it would still go straight.  The M2 was great but the Ping is from another planet.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

 What really pleased me was the fact that I KNEW what was working and it really all went back to ADDRESS position.  Get that correct and no other compensations were needed.  Bad address positions led to compensations that were just band aids.  

YES...Working on that myself...Ball striking and flight now good...HCP will fall. Very uplifting. Best, -Marv

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@Patch, interesting story but unless I am too dense to follow, this contraption only works for measuring past yardage (distance traveled by the ball from the previous location), not future yardage as in what is left to the hole, right?  And even then, it only works if you can go to the ball from the shot position in a straight-ish line: good luck if you have to drive over water for example! :beer:

Anyway, it's fun to see that level of passion, when one can just pick up a free app for their phone and have a decent GPS for free nowadays.  Good stuff!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

And even then, it only works if you can go to the ball from the shot position in a straight-ish line: good luck if you have to drive over water for example! :beer:

 

One must practice everything in golf.  Including walking on water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 6:59 PM, RetiredOldMan said:

La Crosse, Kansas. (Sand Greens) Local Course.
#7th hole. Par 4. Drove the green and 1 putted for an Eagle. 
Senior tees made the hole 280 yards. Put was maybe 5’.

 

Retired Old Man

Congrats! I was interested in your post about Hays, Kansas. Many years ago my buddy moved from NE Ohio to the Denver area. He came home for the holidays to visit, buy a car his Mom had for sale, and haul more of his stuff out there. He asked if I wanted to accompany him to spell him at the wheel now and then. The week would be on him, and all I would have to buy is one way airfare home. I asked at work and got permission, so let's go! 

We spent the first night at his friend's place in St. Louis while a blizzard was rolling through the Great Plains. We continued our travels the next morning listening to the CB he had installed, tuned to the trucker's channel to monitor road conditions. We kept lucking out as they would open sections of the Interstate just in front of us. Then we hear a trucker say, "I don't know boys. We not get past Hays."

My buddy just went off! NO! NO! NO! NOT STUCK IN HAYS, KANSAS AGAIN!!! Apparently that had happened to him before, and was not a pleasant experience. Probably had to spend the night in a truck stop! But I figure that if Hays has golf, how bad could it be?

I'll say this. I never saw such vast expanses of absolutely nothing as in that drive across Kansas! You could drive for a half hour and not see a single building or tree! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Congrats! I was interested in your post about Hays, Kansas. Many years ago my buddy moved from NE Ohio to the Denver area. He came home for the holidays to visit, buy a car his Mom had for sale, and haul more of his stuff out there. He asked if I wanted to accompany him to spell him at the wheel now and then. The week would be on him, and all I would have to buy is one way airfare home. I asked at work and got permission, so let's go! 

We spent the first night at his friend's place in St. Louis while a blizzard was rolling through the Great Plains. We continued our travels the next morning listening to the CB he had installed, tuned to the trucker's channel to monitor road conditions. We kept lucking out as they would open sections of the Interstate just in front of us. Then we hear a trucker say, "I don't know boys. We not get past Hays."

My buddy just went off! NO! NO! NO! NOT STUCK IN HAYS, KANSAS AGAIN!!! Apparently that had happened to him before, and was not a pleasant experience. Probably had to spend the night in a truck stop! But I figure that if Hays has golf, how bad could it be?

I'll say this. I never saw such vast expanses of absolutely nothing as in that drive across Kansas! You could drive for a half hour and not see a single building or tree! 

Good story Buckeye.  Such are the things a good, well-lived life are made of.  I think I stayed in a motel once in Hays... on the way to Colorado.  All my earthly belongings in the trunk of my car... including clubs.  Did not play there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...

Played on Monday, first sunny day after a weekend of rain. Perfect weather, 65-70 degrees. I recently cleaned up a mold problem at my house that might have been affecting me for the last two years. This was the first pain free round in a long time, and I actually felt stronger physically. Mold is bad for you.

Also, this was my first time ever playing Cart Path Only. It was funny searching for our balls in the fairway, sometimes hidden under a leaf, or camouflaged with mud or goose poop. Lucky for me, most of my tee shots landed near the cart path. I hit many solid shots that made me happy, but struggled with putting on inconsistent greens as they started to dry. We got paired with 2 life long friends from the east coast (we're 2 life long friends from the west coast) that made for a very fun day overall. Even ate a hot dog at the turn!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 7:26 PM, Patch said:

Today's round of golf was pretty special for me. For the first time in quite a while my wife, definately my better half, joined me for 18 holes. Just her, and her SC putter. 

A few months ago, she underwent brain sergury to remove a benign tumor. Her rehab was quite remarkable, and she has had no ill effects from the sergury, as of yet. 

One of the first things we did, at her request, after her sergury was, what I thought was an ill advised road trip. However she, and her surgeon convinced me it would be ok. 

Of course I took my golf clubs, and she took her cameras. 

They say doctors make the worst patients, and I kind of understand that now. Her being an orthopedic sergeon (retired) herself, she made sure the folks involved in the pre/post sergury were at the top of their game. They all pretty much knew each other anyways. 

As I understand it, the young doctor who removed the 20 something staples recieved quite an ear full. An ear full of education

So this morning, just out of the blue, she tells me let's go golfing. That she would putt against my full game. 

What this competition amounts too is she drops a ball on the green, at a spot farthest from the cup, and putts from there. Her par is what the hole is. Basically it's my entire bag of clubs, against her, and one of my extra flat sticks SCameron should be proud.

She won today's round  by 3 strokes, which means I am on the hook for a dinner, and a show, of her choice, later on this week. I even broke 80. 

Obviously, even though a loser, I am a happy person. After almost 50 years of marriage I still have the woman of my dreams around who likes to golf. Perhaps next time out (a grudge rematch) she will add a few chips, and pitches to our competition.

I'm pretty sure she will still win....😍

God bless you and your wife!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/29/2019 at 4:26 PM, Patch said:

Today's round of golf was pretty special for me. For the first time in quite a while my wife, definately my better half, joined me for 18 holes. Just her, and her SC putter. 

A few months ago, she underwent brain sergury to remove a benign tumor. Her rehab was quite remarkable, and she has had no ill effects from the sergury, as of yet. 

One of the first things we did, at her request, after her sergury was, what I thought was an ill advised road trip. However she, and her surgeon convinced me it would be ok. 

Of course I took my golf clubs, and she took her cameras. 

They say doctors make the worst patients, and I kind of understand that now. Her being an orthopedic sergeon (retired) herself, she made sure the folks involved in the pre/post sergury were at the top of their game. They all pretty much knew each other anyways. 

As I understand it, the young doctor who removed the 20 something staples recieved quite an ear full. An ear full of education

So this morning, just out of the blue, she tells me let's go golfing. That she would putt against my full game. 

What this competition amounts too is she drops a ball on the green, at a spot farthest from the cup, and putts from there. Her par is what the hole is. Basically it's my entire bag of clubs, against her, and one of my extra flat sticks SCameron should be proud.

She won today's round  by 3 strokes, which means I am on the hook for a dinner, and a show, of her choice, later on this week. I even broke 80. 

Obviously, even though a loser, I am a happy person. After almost 50 years of marriage I still have the woman of my dreams around who likes to golf. Perhaps next time out (a grudge rematch) she will add a few chips, and pitches to our competition.

I'm pretty sure she will still win....😍

Cool story.  I did not read it when it first came out in print.  Remember, tomorrow's Valentine's Day...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • 2 weeks later...

Been playing quite a bit of golf lately. Weather has been good, and is getting better.

Been sharing some quality time with my Granddaughter on Sundays, playing 9 holes. Sunday afternoon is about the only time her schedule allows for golf. She's a busy young lady. School work, cheerleading, and she just signed up for the track team. 

Her golf game is coming along nicely. She has scored in the low 40s for 9 holes a few times. Yes, there are a few hiccups in there.  We golfed with her highschool coach a couple weeks ago. He remarked she will have no problem qualifying for tournaments when their season begins again. She has accomplished alot over the past several months. Her swing coach is doing a great job with her tee, and fairway games.  

A while back we went on our first golf, road trip together. Made the trip to Death Valley and played the Furnace Creek GC. She, and I golfed, while her sister, and G-Ma did the photography thing. 

My own game has been as consistent as it has ever been. Playing 2-3 times a week, while practicing on my non playing days, is keeping my game in shape. Best round lately was a 77. 7 shots past my age was a high 5 moment. 

Lately I have been practing with my wedges, and distance control. Been devoting alot of time to my LW. I play a little game where I hit all my wedges the same distance. That distance being my full swing LW distance. I hit each club one at a time. 

March will mean more weekly play, and practice. A few club tournaments are on tap. One being an 18 hole, short game shin dig. I like my chances in this one

April will be a month of little, or no golf for me. First time in a few years I will not be doing something with a golf club on a daily basis. I am scheduled for eye sergury to removed cataracs. Actually two separate serguries. Hoping the better, clearer eye sight will help me see those breaks a little better. Maybe make an extra putt, or two every so often. 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looking for others thoughts here. Three of us having a little skins game this morning, some quitters wont play below 35. Anyway, heading down the fairway the first guy points to ball and says to the second  that's your ball. The 2nd plays his shot but when the first guy gets to the other ball he realizes he was wrong, it was not his ball. I get your responsible for what you hit and i think i might have done the same thing. What would happen in a real event? I don't see how the first guy could be penalized. I stuck my shot and won the hole outright so no controversy there.

This did not seem worth its own thread, so put it here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo after clicking this link. For Mevo+, click this link or the image above.
  • Posts

    • Finished Spider-Man and Miles Morales. What fun games. The web slinging through the city lives up to the hype as well as knowing what it's like to have the powers of Spider-Man and the fights never got old. The story for S-M and MM were both very good and they got a lot of details of Manhattan right, although the map was off. Almost finished with God of War and did not expect it to be so good. Having your son along the whole way enhances the story so much. Next up will be Death Stranding and then Bloodborne probably. Going through the Playstation exclusives.
    • Does this answer it for you? FlightScope Speed & Acceleration Profiles - Launch Monitor, Golf Ball Tracking | Golf Simulators | FlightScope.com Find out why FlightScope golf launch monitors' speed & acceleration profiles are huge for club fitting. Check our sample data sets to see it for yourself. Or this? Oh, I gotcha now. The stand has some nice features, but mainly… I can note what notch creates a tilt of 12°, or 17° as preferred by Awesome Golf, or 16° or whatever… and then put the back leg in those notches without needing the tool. I can also do this more easily on uneven floors — in either direction — to adjust for the tilt or roll of the floor itself. If my floor slopes down and to the left, 12° with the tool won't be 12° and level with the Mevo+, so I can use the screw legs to adjust the Mevo+ to be 12°/0°.
    • Lineups are due today (okay, tomorrow morning) because this week's event they are playing Wed-Saturday, so you can focus on football this Sunday.
    • Wordle 221 3/6 🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜ ⬜🟨🟨⬜⬜ 🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 educated/ lucky guess
    • I initially thought this was a movie, given the lead cast, I guess it's basically a long movie broken up into 6 acts or how many ever episodes. Seems like the content creators are gong through all the scammy companies - Theranos, uhhhh, I forget, there are few of them I'm sure. Wework is still operating though. I know people who work there, but man, I hate that company.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. BraxtonGolf
      BraxtonGolf
      (26 years old)
    2. Dan2501
      Dan2501
      (32 years old)
    3. Finch
      Finch
      (35 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...