IGNORED

Longer more upright putter for tall golfer (I'm 6'5")

Note: This thread is 2140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, let me clarify the topic here.

I'm not looking for a counterbalanced putter. (though that's almost the length, I'm looking at.) I'm 6'5", 31 years old and have a fairly athletic build. I have average length arms for a person my height. (My wingspan is exactly the same as my height). My wrist-to-floor measurement is 36.25". I've played putters all the way down to 32.5" and as long as my 36" Ping Zing 2.

I probably feel the most comfortable over the ball with my Ping Zing 2 length wise, but it still seems a smidge short (I have to bend over less than with say a 34" or 35" putter.) 

I'd like the be more comfortable over the ball, so I'm not in need of a heating pad after a 36-hole day. I was thinking in the 37" to 38" range not counterbalanced, and more upright (73° or so).

What are the thoughts out there? Remember I'm looking for comfort over the ball, which I believe will be more beneficial to me, when I'm trying to hole that 4 footer for a 71 on the eighteenth hole.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, upndown21 said:

I play the Odyssey O works tank 7 and I am 6'6". Never felt so comfortable with a putter.

What length is your Tank 7? I guess I could get any putter I wanted longer than a standard length, from the manufacturer. 

I'm looking for input to see if I'm on track. Someone will probably say, "You're supposed to putt with a 35" putter if you're tall." But someone else might say, "Shane, if you want to be more comfortable, by all means go with a longer putter." 

I looking to see what some of you would think the pros and cons of a longer standard style putter would be... Aside from being a good back scratcher.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

You might find joy with a cut-down belly putter.  The heads are fairly heavy and they play upright.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

14 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

What length is your Tank 7? I guess I could get any putter I wanted longer than a standard length, from the manufacturer. 

I'm looking for input to see if I'm on track. Someone will probably say, "You're supposed to putt with a 35" putter if you're tall." But someone else might say, "Shane, if you want to be more comfortable, by all means go with a longer putter." 

I looking to see what some of you would think the pros and cons of a longer standard style putter would be... Aside from being a good back scratcher.

I think it is 38". Whatever the longest they make. However I grip down about 4-5".

I'm 6'3" with normal length arms for my height and I use a 35 inch putter. Anything shorter than that I feel like I have to bend over too far.

For me the longer counterbalance ones feel too hard for me to control when I putted with them in the store, so I ended up choking down on it which brought it down to around 35 inches anyway so I just went with the 35" and have no complaints.

I haven't tried something slightly longer like 36" mainly because its not typically carried in stores. The only time I feel it in my back is when I am practicing at home and stand in the same position for minutes at a time putting, which isnt a good way to practice anyway.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

@klineka,

No offense, but I've putted with a 35" putter since at least 1999. (I turned 31 yesterday). It was fine even as a tween and teenager. In my 20s, it got a little more painful on those 36 hole days especially on the last 5 or 6 holes. 

I was thinking of going longer and/or more upright... To help alleviate some discomfort. If I could find a Cure RX2 with a 36" or 37" shaft I could set it upright myself.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

1 minute ago, onthehunt526 said:

@klineka,

No offense, but I've putted with a 35" putter since at least 1999. (I turned 31 yesterday). It was fine even as a tween and teenager. In my 20s, it got a little more painful on those 36 hole days especially on the last 5 or 6 holes. 

I was thinking of going longer and/or more upright... To help alleviate some discomfort. If I could find a Cure RX2 with a 36" or 37" shaft I could set it upright myself.

No offense taken! I was giving insight into what length putter I use and why.

Putting is so individualized. Im a bit younger than you so I very well might find myself in the same situation in the next 5-7 years.

Keep us updated if you can find the Cure RX2 with a longer shaft like you want.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 minute ago, klineka said:

No offense taken! I was giving insight into what length putter I use and why.

Putting is so individualized. Im a bit younger than you so I very well might find myself in the same situation in the next 5-7 years.

Keep us updated if you can find the Cure RX2 with a longer shaft like you want.

I actually have an RX2 but it has a 34" shaft, I've cranked the lie all the way up to 80° still isn't right. My 36" Ping Zing 2, I think has a 72 or 73 degree lie angle so it's pretty close. I know Tour Edge does up to 2 inches adjustment or +/- 2° lie. @WUTiger I know putting is individualized, but what are your thoughts?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

• 1 month later...

I'm 6'4" and my irons have an inch of extra length and are 2 degrees upright. My putters, however, are all 35.5 or 36 inches and are bent one degree flat. Not sure why that works, but as a previous poster wrote, putting is a personal thing. 

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Rocketballz (non-adjustable), 10.5 degrees, stock graphite shaft R flex
Hybrids: Kasco, 17 and 25 degrees, stock graphite shafts
Irons: Golfsmith Tour Cavity Forged, 4-PW, graphite shafts R, 2 degrees upright
Wedges: TaylorMade Black Oxide, 52, 56, and 60 degrees, graphite shafts
Putter: Rife Barbados w/SuperStroke grip 
Ball: Bridgestone RXS

• 2 months later...

Why not lengthen the shaft? I just did this on my Versa. Went from 35" to 36" because I always seem to be holding at the very top of the grip. I cut a 3" piece from a donor shaft, with a step that barely fit inside the existing shaft. 2" went in, leaving 1" out. I did have to wrap some aluminum tape to the piece to make fit snugly. Reinstalled the grip. I think I'm most proud of getting the SuperStroke 2.0 XL grip off without wrecking it.   

The pros of a longer putter is more comfort because of less bowing and may feel more natural if you like to rotate more.

The cons of a longer putter is that it has a stronger arc that is harder to aim and may become too heavy for fine distance control.

It is possible but not easy to get used to a stronger arc and custom fit the head or shaft so that the total weight and swingweight do not get too heavy.

Edited by GOATee

You are taller than standard height, so why shouldn't you get a putter longer than standard length?

If you get a putter too short for your height, you will need to hunch down too much to clear your arms under you.

It will not be easy to get a 37 to 38 inch non-counterbalanced putter off the rack, so I recommend going for a custom putter such as Edel.

Note: This thread is 2140 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!