IGNORED

Favorite Grass (On A Golf Course!)

Note: This thread is 2091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you have a particular type of fairway/tees grass that you enjoy playing?  Or a favorite grass for putting surfaces?  Have you played off of grass that you absolutely hated?

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not long ago I'd have said that I really prefer bent-grass greens, which means playing mostly in more northerly regions.  Old-style Bermuda greens were always slower and bumpier, at least the very few that I got to play.  I'm starting to think that the new hybrid Bermuda grasses are every bit as good, after playing a bunch of courses in and around Pinehurst that have made the change.  I love the random mix of grasses that form fairways in most of Scotland and Ireland, they work great to make firm fast surfaces on the sandy linksland.  But favorite?  Whichever grass is present on the golf course I'm playing today.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator

I'm not a huge fan of the old Bermuda styles, but I also don't think I've spent enough time on kikuyu or I might like that less.

I think generally speaking people like the grass they grew up playing. For me on the greens that's a bent/poa combo. Everywhere else it's a lot of rye/bluegrass/poa.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 3 weeks later...

Zoysia fairways! I love them. It's like the ball is teed up for every shot :-P

As for greens, I wouldn't know. I think bent grass is above my pay-grade...it seems super quick for my putting ability. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Really fast bentgrass greens are my favorite. I am indifferent when it comes to fairways but I do know I am not a fan of long fescue rough.

I have seen some really good hybrid bermuda greens recently. I assume they don't need as much water or cool air as bentgrass.

Zoysia is incredible. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I don't have a favorite grass, but I do know that Bermuda is not golf user friendly. 

That said, I do like all grasses, and how they smell after a fresh cutting. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 minutes ago, Patch said:

I don't have a favorite grass, but I do know that Bermuda is not golf user friendly. 

That said, I do like all grasses, and how they smell after a fresh cutting. 

No Bermuda is not. It's great for baseball fields.

My favorite is Zoysia (that I've played on). Namely because in the fairway you almost always get a perfect lie. 

Around here at Newman we have whatever crabgrass is native to Ithaca.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

7 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Zoysia fairways! I love them. It's like the ball is teed up for every shot :-P

4 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

Zoysia is incredible. 

3 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

My favorite is Zoysia (that I've played on). Namely because in the fairway you almost always get a perfect lie. 

Is Zoysia expensive to maintain? Obviously, I'm biased, but it don't see why more courses don't use this in the fairways...it's amazing

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I live up north, NE Ohio, where everything is bent grass fairways and greens over soft dirt.  Roughs are usually overseeded rye/bluegrass mixes that are very dense.  That's because it freaking RAINS all the time making it grow like mad and too wet to mow.

That said, I LOVE playing down south with bermuda fairways on top of a sand base.  Bermuda, (or some of the newer turfs down south) greens hold shots and don't tear potholes in the greens like our soft bent grass / dirt base greens do up north.

Yeah, I definitely prefer the down south courses with the hybrid, drought resistant grasses.

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

All these years growing up and playing golf on all these beautiful FL courses and I had no idea I was playing on inferior grass.

Seriously though, I don't recall what type of grass I played on in S. Cal a few  years ago, but I do recall I liked it a lot.  And the softer ground beneath the turf.. really a change from around here.

For greens, the ultra-dwarf strand of Bermuda might be the purest rolling greens I ever putted on.

http://triadgolf.com/index.php/2016/02/17/bermuda-revolution-southern-pines-resorts-join-numerous-other-southeast-golf-courses-converting-to-bermudagrass-greens/

Well maintained Bent grass is also pretty good

As for fairways and rough, I prefer Bent or Poa.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 3 months later...

Well, the professional agronomists, like at Penn State in particular, have made untold changes in grass types. Many years ago, a couple of friends of mine went to Florida to play. The starter happened to be from Ohio! He asked them if they'd ever played in Fla. before. They said no, and he advised them to play the ball a bit further back in their stances due to the Bermuda grass. After the round, they said back in the stance, hell! How about behind your stance! They couldn't get the ball up out of that grass to save their lives!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Note: This thread is 2091 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!