IGNORED

2018 Masters Tournament Discussion Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 2211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 2018 Masters  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Masters?

• Tiger
    • Jordan, Dustin, or Rory
    • Someone else in the OWGR Top 15
    • Someone not listed above
  2. 2. Where does Tiger finish?

• First
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20
    • Makes cut, nowhere near contention
    • MC

Greetings ....

Congratulations to Patrick Reed, the 2018 Masters Champion.

Kudo's on great play to Rickie Fowler, Jordan Spieth, Jon Rahm, and Tony Finau (among others in the Top 12). Honorable mentions to Charley Hoffman (ace at 16th) and Rory McIlroy (3rd round play).

One tiny note of criticism -- I'm not a putting expert, but it seemed to me that Jordan Spieth's par putt on the 72nd hole may not have been struck with proper authority and detail. Anyone else think so?

367 days until the next Masters (April 11-14, 2019) -- almost as bad as waiting for the next Christmas.

Edited by Frank-0-Sport

28 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Hard to say with out witnessing what exactly went on. There are certainly situations were parents and family members feel like they are owed something for being a family member. Maybe this isn't the case here. Who knows. All I can judge Reed on is what is factually out there. Right now, this looks to be a he said, they said type of situation.

Yeah, most times truth somewhere in between.    

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

367 days until the next Masters (April 11-14, 2019) -- almost as bad as waiting for the next Christmas.

True,  but it's the big major in 14 weeks :) 

29 minutes ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

Hopefully next year, tracers on all holes. More 4K options.

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

7 minutes ago, Moxley said:

True,  but it's the big major in 14 weeks :) 

Let's hope the Scottish weather obliges. Always fun to see these chaps who play their golf in Florida enjoying a north-east Scotland summer!

2 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

I don't have any respect for someone who treats their family like shit. I'm sure Reed' s Dad afforded him golf and gave him a ton of opportunities as a youth. What parent wouldn't have concerns about someone marrying at 22 quickly? Then toss in how he treated his wife on TV when she was his caddy(don't mix business and blood pay a caddy you cheap skate) and nobody on tour really knows this aloof cocky dude. You also don't get kicked off a team for underage drinking sorry. 

Well THAT explains why several players were waiting at 18 to congratulate him.

2 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Lets talk about the New chairman of Augusta Fred Ridley calling the people "fans" and not "patrons" in the Butler cabin yesterday. Which leads me to ask the question, is he in fact now the "former Chairman" of augusta national?

And also trying to steal Jim Nantz' shine during the interviews. Nantz looked like he was going to punch the dude in the face. :-$

If he survived the hash the Rules committee he chaired made over the Tiger drop a few years ago I think he'll survive this.  Or perhaps it is a signal that ANGC is loosening up a little.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

2 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

What parent wouldn't have concerns about someone marrying at 22 quickly?

A helicopter parent?

A 22 year old man is free to do as he wishes, when it comes to matrimony. I got married at 24 having known my then girlfriend 6 months. The chorus of, "It'll never last," was deafening. 17th Wedding Anniversary in August.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ScouseJohnny said:

A helicopter parent?

A 22 year old man is free to do as he wishes, when it comes to matrimony. I got married at 24 having known my then girlfriend 6 months. The chorus of, "It'll never last," was deafening. 17th Wedding Anniversary in August.

Congratulations on the upcoming anniversary. As you are illustrating, everyone is different. Without knowing what Reed was like at 22 it's impossible to say if his parents were overbearing or genuinely concerned.   

Edited by krupa
Removed a bit that was a bit too personal.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

1 minute ago, krupa said:

Congratulations on the upcoming anniversary. As you are illustrating, everyone is different. Without knowing what Reed was like at 22 it's impossible to say if his parents were overbearing or genuinely concerned.   

Thank you!

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

37 minutes ago, turtleback said:

Well THAT explains why several players were waiting at 18 to congratulate him.

Several? I saw just 2. Bubba Watson who isn't a big fan favorite as reported by the media and Rickie Fowler(who always congrats the winner).

1 hour ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

One tiny note of criticism -- I'm not a putting expert, but it seemed to me that Jordan Spieth's par putt on the 72nd hole may not have been struck with proper authority and detail. Anyone else think so?

Looked to me like he pulled the $^%@ out of it.

But that wasn't to be said given the venue and I guess he was the white hat guy.  They went awful easy on a guy who hit it 80 yards off the tee and then pulled his final putt to ruin an otherwise amazing day.

Don't get me wrong.  I like JS.  I was pulling hard for him (or Ricky).

9 hours ago, NZ Golfer said:

Really enjoyed the last day was shaping up brilliantly with Reed not getting too far away from the brilliantly chasing Fowler Spieth .... how good would have been for 3way -14 tie on the last hole >>> that would have been a mindblowing playoff of steel nerves 

I was hoping for that!  Spieth made the final round very interesting. Because Rory totally fell apart from hole 1.

20 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Those are some good numbers! 

9 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

Looked to me like he pulled the $^%@ out of it.

Don't get me wrong.  I like JS.  I was pulling hard for him (or Ricky).

I think he misread the putt. It was a straight center putt and he thought it was slightly left off center putt. I was hoping he'd shock the tournament and win it all on 18 with a birdie.

Edited by JSGolf

4 hours ago, klineka said:

Are you serious? Since October 2017, in stroke play tournaments, the WORST finish he has is T16. Also has a win and two runner ups.

• #1 in the world golf ranking
  • #7 in FedEx Cup points
  • 5 top 10s out of 8 events
  • 4th in strokes gained tee-to-green
  • 14th in strokes gained around the green 
  • T14 in strokes gained putting
  • Has the lowest actual scoring average on tour at 68.75 (the ONLY player who is averaging under 69)

Please tell me how he is so overrated, the facts simply dont agree with you.

Has he won anything as of late? How he is number 1 still is beyond me. He hits the ball big and that's about it. His putting is average at best. For someone who is raved by the media to only have one major is a failure IMO.

Yeah it would have been incredible had he made that putt and gone into a playoff with Reed. 

Now we're stuck w/Reed.  Kind of the same feeling I had when Cink won the Open over Watson.  As in life, so it goes in golf... there is no justice in golf. Sometimes the bad guys win.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

Has he won anything as of late? How he is number 1 still is beyond me. He hits the ball big and that's about it. His putting is average at best. For someone who is raved by the media to only have one major is a failure IMO.

T14 Strokes Gained: Putting = Dustin Johnson

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02564.html

He won the Tournament of Champions.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

T14 Strokes Gained: Putting = Dustin Johnson

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02564.html

He won the Tournament of Champions.

Ha...sorry but he is one of the worst putters I've seen in my lifetime. I still remember his three put loss at the US Open to Speith. All he need was a two put for a playoff and he couldn't even do that. His brother saying every major they were going to win to no avail.....just funny as hell to me since he has just one major.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, JSGolf said:

Ha...sorry but he is one of the worst putters I've seen in my lifetime.

:sigh:

I already linked to 2018, where he's T14.

2017: 81/190: https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02564.2017.html
2016: 36/185: https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02564.2016.html
2015: 71/184: https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02564.2015.html
2014: 82/177: https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02564.2014.html

14 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

His putting is average at best.

Seems to me, based on the FACTS above, that his putting is still above average at worst.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!