Jump to content
iacas

2018 Masters Tournament Discussion Topic

The 2018 Masters  

141 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Masters?

    • Tiger
      27
    • Jordan, Dustin, or Rory
      28
    • Someone else in the OWGR Top 15
      62
    • Someone not listed above
      24
  2. 2. Where does Tiger finish?

    • First
      24
    • Top 5
      21
    • Top 10
      50
    • Top 20
      27
    • Makes cut, nowhere near contention
      16
    • MC
      3


1,608 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-confidential-what-pros-really-say-about-tigers-chances-at-the-masters

What fascinated me about that article is the breadth and scope of the opinions, the sheer variety. Others correctly point out, for example, that even after a layoff in 2010, he came out and finished T4. Then two quotes later someone is saying he has no chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

I went with the field and top 10. I think he will play well. I like his chances better than any one individual but I think he’ll come close but someone else will get hot and win. Should be fun though. And I’m excited for my first time I’ll get the opportunity to attend on sat.  I hope he’s in contention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think it’s fair to think Tiger, Phil, Spieth, and Rose could all be in the mix come Sunday (and Freddie up until the back nine on Saturday) and my guess would be one of those four wins it. 

Assuming he can avoid the flagstick on 15 this time, I don’t see any reason Tiger can’t win it. :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for this. This is a great time to begin this topic! Everyone is looking forward to the Masters this year, and it looks like we'll finally have a place to discuss the state of Tiger's game now on this site. Who knows, maybe even his place in history? Really looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I picked OWGR and top ten for Tiger. I’m of course pulling for Tiger...would be so awesome to see him win. As usual it will be great to watch but with Phil having a win, Bubba getting back on his game, Rory’s inevitable hacking and/or 4 putts and some young ones eager to shine it’ll be especially entertaining this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I said Tiger was going to win. Why? It's setting up that way. This is not off a long lay off. @iacas has said in a couple other spots on the site, that Tiger is way the hell ahead of schedule... It wouldn't surprise me, if he wins this week at Bay Hill for No. 80.

However, this is how I hope it goes down. Below is your leaderboard at the start of the final round:

1. Dustin Johnson         -9

T2. Jordan Spieth

      Jon Rahm

      Rory McIlroy

      Jason Day              -8

T6.  Justin Thomas

       Hideki Matsuyama    -7

T8. Tiger Woods           

       Patrick Reed            -6

 

Someone in the top 7 takes the lead early on Sunday, Tiger just kind of keeps pace, We're taking like JT and Day hole eagles on top of each other at 8 and Day leads at -11 makes the turn at -10 still tied with DJ.. DJ messes up somewhere. Tiger kind of quietly shoots 35 or so on the front... make the turn 3 behind. He starts his charge on Amen corner making birdies at 11 and 12. He birdies 13 but Day makes a 2 at 12 to stay 1 in front of Tiger... Tiger makes 3 at 15 and the patrons lose their shit... He pulls of some miracle chip or putt at 16 an Lundquist loses it in the booth again... Nantz and Faldo are tearing up in the tower at 18 (Kind of like Summerall and Venturi with the Nicklaus charge in 1986). Tiger makes routine pars at 17 and 18, posts 275... and waits.

Meanwhile, Jason Day makes 6 at 15 and Justin Thomas birdies 13 and 15 to get to 12. Dustin Johnson is still making pars... then he eagles 13 to get back within 2. Spieth has had a lousy afternoon with the putter... Can't hole anything, but is still only 4 behind. Justin Thomas pars 16 and 17, Day 3-putts 17 to fall out of contention, Meanwhile DJ eagles 15 as well to tie Tiger at 13 under. JT barely misses a putt at 18 to tie Tiger's clubhouse lead. So it's down to DJ who pars 16 and 17... unlike Norman in '86, DJ hits driver, hits it perfect has 9-iron in with a chance to win. Knocks his 9-iron from 160 over the green, with a nearly impossible up and in, he does well to get it within 10 feet. He burns the edge and the 2019 President's Cup captain wins his 15th major championship... and the internet is broken for 6 hours and I cry like a little girl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Great story. You should have added that Couples makes the cut and when he finishes on Sunday Nantz proceeds to tell us all about how much Freddie loves the place and the announcers mention any shot on 12 that rolls off into the water they bring up Fred's luck in 92.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MuniGrit said:

Great story. You should have added that Couples makes the cut and when he finishes on Sunday Nantz proceeds to tell us all about how much Freddie loves the place and the announcers mention any shot on 12 that rolls off into the water they bring up Fred's luck in 92.

I think Freddie got a little lucky in the fact that the ground was still a little wet from the rains on Saturday. Not much more of an explanation than that,

I actually just finished watching the 1986 Masters. I think the main difference between how I think it'll go and how it actually will go, will depend on how Tiger starts the 82nd Masters on April 5th. If he's hitting the ball well and a can't get much to drop, but is just "hanging around" as Tiger calls it... He can still win. I've said this before and I'll say it again. If Tiger is striking the ball well, giving himself legitimate birdie opportunities, making those 5-10 foot putts for par to save momentum. He can win. Tiger's A game is still nearly unbeatable... the kids can probably keep close with some version of good play. That being said, if Tiger is hitting a bunch of greens, not 3-putting and averages say 5 birdies a round (maybe throw an eagle or two in the mix), he'll win. It might be closer, but that's Tiger's A game. 14 greens a round, 29 putts, 5 birdies, Four 68s... 5th green jacket... That simple...

Do not give the big cat the 54 hole lead, you will lose... most of the time... The reason Y.E. Yang beat Tiger... isn't really anything Tiger did (Tiger hit some bad shots, but I wouldn't consider it a collapse). Tiger putted like shit on the weekend... He made 3 birdies in the final 36 holes, that literally cost him his 5th Wanamaker... I seriously thought Tiger was going to get it done that Sunday, and he would have definitely been on his way to breaking Jack's records.

Now with all of the injuries he has endured in the last 10 years (Torn ACL, 4 back surgeries, the thing with his neck, etc.). His window is small to win another major. However, I think if he gets one soon, look out, he'll take advantage of the window... and maybe not break JAck's record of 18 professional majors, but damn it, he'll get close...

It would be a huge step if he won his 15th major at Augusta in 3 weeks, I am pulling hard for him to win.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

I think Freddie got a little lucky in the fact that the ground was still a little wet from the rains on Saturday. Not much more of an explanation than that,

I actually just finished watching the 1986 Masters. I think the main difference between how I think it'll go and how it actually will go, will depend on how Tiger starts the 82nd Masters on April 5th. If he's hitting the ball well and a can't get much to drop, but is just "hanging around" as Tiger calls it... He can still win. I've said this before and I'll say it again. If Tiger is striking the ball well, giving himself legitimate birdie opportunities, making those 5-10 foot putts for par to save momentum. He can win. Tiger's A game is still nearly unbeatable... the kids can probably keep close with some version of good play. That being said, if Tiger is hitting a bunch of greens, not 3-putting and averages say 5 birdies a round (maybe throw an eagle or two in the mix), he'll win. It might be closer, but that's Tiger's A game. 14 greens a round, 29 putts, 5 birdies, Four 68s... 5th green jacket... That simple...

Do not give the big cat the 54 hole lead, you will lose... most of the time... The reason Y.E. Yang beat Tiger... isn't really anything Tiger did (Tiger hit some bad shots, but I wouldn't consider it a collapse). Tiger putted like shit on the weekend... He made 3 birdies in the final 36 holes, that literally cost him his 5th Wanamaker... I seriously thought Tiger was going to get it done that Sunday, and he would have definitely been on his way to breaking Jack's records.

Now with all of the injuries he has endured in the last 10 years (Torn ACL, 4 back surgeries, the thing with his neck, etc.). His window is small to win another major. However, I think if he gets one soon, look out, he'll take advantage of the window... and maybe not break JAck's record of 18 professional majors, but damn it, he'll get close...

It would be a huge step if he won his 15th major at Augusta in 3 weeks, I am pulling hard for him to win.

 

I am pulling for him to win also! It would be way beyond a "huge step" if he were to win the Masters this year. It would be comparable to Hogan winning the first of his majors coming back from that horrific car/bus accident. Not only would Tiger have overcome all the injuries you mention, but don't forget his legal battles, along with drug and sex addiction. It would be an inspirational story if he was able to come back from a place where his marriage fell apart in public view after he was found passed out in his driveway with the windows of his vehicle smashed. The parade of extra marital affairs revealed. This followed by a arrest for DUI last year accompanied by a humiliating mug shot seen the world over. Add his addiction to painkillers as yet another hurdle he is attempting to clear, and it becomes an even bigger story if he can walk off with a victory at Augusta. It would be so nice to see! Who knows what might be in store for this next chapter in his career? If he can stay healthy, and continue to receive the counseling any recovering addict needs, he can accomplish anything he wants. In golf, and more importantly, in life.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

I am pulling for him to win also! It would be way beyond a "huge step" if he were to win the Masters this year. It would be comparable to Hogan winning the first of his majors coming back from that horrific car/bus accident. Not only would Tiger have overcome all the injuries you mention, but don't forget his legal battles, along with drug and sex addiction. It would be an inspirational story if he was able to come back from a place where his marriage fell apart in public view after he was found passed out in his driveway with the windows of his vehicle smashed. The parade of extra marital affairs revealed. This followed by a arrest for DUI last year accompanied by a humiliating mug shot seen the world over. Add his addiction to painkillers as yet another hurdle he is attempting to clear, and it becomes an even bigger story if he can walk off with a victory at Augusta. It would be so nice to see! Who knows what might be in store for this next chapter in his career? If he can stay healthy, and continue to receive the counseling any recovering addict needs, he can accomplish anything he wants. In golf, and more importantly, in life.. 

This post will definitely get edited or deleted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Why? Aren't I allowed to root for the GOAT to win?

It is taboo to discuss anything negative about Tiger around here. The local circus gets their panties in a bunch over it for some reason. As you said it would be a huge story. You have to feel pretty good if you bet on him when he was 100-1 recently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

This post will definitely get edited or deleted.

Wrong again.

You, @MuniGrit, have made multiple off-topic posts, have made obnoxious, trolling posts, and have failed to understand how the majority see those posts despite four or five staff members as well as regular members telling you.

@GrandStranded's post was fine. It was on topic. It was factual, and not incendiary or off topic simply for the purpose of being provocative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, MuniGrit said:

It is taboo to discuss anything negative about Tiger around here. The local circus gets their panties in a bunch over it for some reason. As you said it would be a huge story. You have to feel pretty good if you bet on him when he was 100-1 recently.

Where exactly did I say anything negative about Tiger? I'm rooting hard for him! It would make me so happy to see him win The Masters! I realize there are lot of people out there who are Tiger bashers, but there is no reason for them to delete or edit any posts where his fans want to profess their admiration of him and his accomplishments!!

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Wrong again.

Thanks! I knew nobody would ever do that! Now lets get back on topic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm going for a Tommy Fleetwood or Justin Rose win this year.  Fleetwood has been steady for a while, Rose has been hot this year so far.  Of course I want to see Woods do well too, but I'd like to see one of the other guys win it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...