IGNORED

Rude Fans at PGA Tour Events

dogburger
Note: This thread is 2122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 4/16/2018 at 11:33 PM, 3jacker said:

It's a tee box.  It's also a tee.

See Rule 20-3, it's used in the text.

Not true.

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 9.31.40 am.png

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching a bit of the Italian Open and several other European Tour events in recent months it sure seems like the fans are much better behaved.  Not so many, annoying outbursts - at least what is televised. It does seem that US fans are getting more raucous as the years roll along.  When I attended round 3 at Chambers Bay, I could not believe the amount of chatter and hooting, seemingly after every shot.  Same at a number of Boeing Classics, though not quite as bad. I compare this to a couple of PGA events I attended a couple decades earlier, which were considerably more sedate.  One fans impressions - YMMV.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

• 3 weeks later...

New York fans win.  In addition to being rude, they also win the most obnoxious award. Listening to the many village idiots at Shinnecock was annoying. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

I think the "Baba booey" and "Get in the hole! " calls are original and funny. Never heard anyone say either before. ;-) 

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Well, you can add "dilly-dilly" and "we love you (add players name)" to the growing list of idiotic shouts this generation of fans brings to golf. Worse is that they are so eager to be heard on social media that they start on the downswing.

I think Fox bears some responsibility for their decisions regarding microphones and the audio mix. Crowd shouts have been a tiresome part of the US Open viewing experience.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ladders11 said:

I think Fox bears some responsibility for their decisions regarding microphones and the audio mix. Crowd shouts have been a tiresome part of the US Open viewing experience.

Yeah, no argument about what is being carried over the broadcasts, but that's not what I'm really getting at here.  And this type of behavior is not unique to the U.S. Open, though it and a few others do seem to be worse than most. A new level of self absorb narcissism has, unfortunately, entered professional golf.

13 hours ago, ladders11 said:

I couldn't agree more here. I don't know who thought "Let's get the New York fan feel in the broadcast," but they should be canned. Obnoxious behavior that NY fans hang their hats on has zero entertainment level with the rest of the country other than maybe with the other boneheads that yell Baba and mashed at other PGA events.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The fans fit the modern game well.BOMB and GOUGE ::snoozefest::

The shout I am gonna do is gonna be a coordinated effort in unison WHOOMP there it is!

You guys are a bunch of snivelers.  Golf lost its soul a long time ago.  

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

Cool story bro.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

48 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

The fans fit the modern game well.BOMB and GOUGE ::snoozefest::

The shout I am gonna do is gonna be a coordinated effort in unison WHOOMP there it is!

Thanks for stopping ol codger... Kinda throws out that old wiser with age saying though...

4 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Thanks for stopping ol codger... Kinda throws out that old wiser with age saying though...

Get off my lawn!!!!!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

42 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Get off my lawn!!!!!

Paint my fence!

Shinnecock was a disgrace as far as the gallery is concerned.  The amount of shouting, calling out "Paulina" (leave the wives out of it you pervs), and then the Booing of players.  Shameful.

Bill - 

With regard to the fans at Shinnecock, given the past at Bethpage, it's pretty much the same, no? Remember "Grip Boy" and Garcia? Not to excuse the behavior, but it's always been bad, whether it has gotten worse, hard to tell. Is it because more microphones or have the insults gotten worse and more frequent?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

With regard to the fans at Shinnecock, given the past at Bethpage, it's pretty much the same, no? Remember "Grip Boy" and Garcia? Not to excuse the behavior, but it's always been bad, whether it has gotten worse, hard to tell. Is it because more microphones or have the insults gotten worse and more frequent?

This doesn't make it palatable. If the New York fan can't be better behaved, maybe the ropes should be moved further back and the price of alcohol increased. It's just stupid and embarrassing... 

13 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

This doesn't make it palatable. If the New York fan can't be better behaved, maybe the ropes should be moved further back and the price of alcohol increased. It's just stupid and embarrassing... 

To New Jersey! :-P

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

16 hours ago, nevets88 said:

It has definitely gotten worse.  I have attended about 30+ PGA and LPGA events dating back to the early 70's and the level of chatter during player swings and boisterous idiotic yelling has escalated quite a bit.  I'll use Boeing's Champion Tour stop (Boeing Classic) as an example.  I attended all but one of these from 2005-2015 and marshalled at about half of those.  Each successive year, more emphasis had to be directed at trying to handle crowd disturbances and more folks were being shown the front gate.  They had to re-locate the grandstand at the hole #14 because of the yelling with each tee shot.  It became more of a yelling contest (hope I can hear myself on replay) than watching the friggin event.   The one European Tour event I attended in Hamburg about 5 years ago was a stark contrast and nice to see.  I hate seeing what's happening to U.S. golf venues from a spectators perspective. 

Note: This thread is 2122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!