IGNORED

Thoughts on Tony Romo’s debut in MX ...

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

77 in a PGA Tour event is crap.

Not sure I would file Tony Romo under hack, PGA Tour ready maybe not, but hack is a bit harsh. Plus if he is a hack what does that make you? :whistle:

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It is crap given the venue.  He is a relative hack, skill-wise, to his so-called peer group.

I'm  a hack compared to Rory,  yes.  I have no issue with that.

13 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

It is crap given the venue.  He is a relative hack, skill-wise, to his so-called peer group.

I don't think he's a hack compared to the Tour pros. He's not as good, of course, but he's not Jerry Rice, who clearly showed he didn't belong on the Web.com event.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

32 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

Hacks playing on Tour drive me away. I can't stand to watch the AT&T because I don't want to watch a bunch of hacks with vanity handicaps (whether it's a 5 or a +0.2) duff it around. I can't watch it.

But I understand a lot of folks love it, and for every guy like me that won't tune in, there's probably thousands who do.  If it's good for golf, I'm for it.  I'll just go do something productive until the guys who are really good are on.

Giants fan are you? I definitely say he is not pga pro caliber but it is a decent showing for a first time tournament. I don't know why people get so vicious about these things. Romo is a solid player and has the opportunity, whether it is money/status to find out where his game is when it put to the test against very good players. Nothing wrong with that. Romo isn't just in a tournament, he is being watched by the whole sporting community which adds to the pressure of his performance. He probably can handle it though.

Edited by Valleygolfer

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

19 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

Oh, okay so are handing out labels by comparing people to other people. Got it. Still have a bit of a problem calling anyone with a +.3 handicap a hack, but to each their own I guess.

Edited by NM Golf

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

Good on him (I did have to google him TBH). You'll never know if you are good enough if you dont give it a try. Usain Bolt is doing a similar thing with a trial at Borussia Dortmund. Like has been said, its good for sport in general for athletes to crossover. Its been done in the past with success in other sports

John Surtees - Motorcylcing to F1 (champ in both)

Sir Chris Hoy - Cycling to GT Racing (Champ in both)

Probably many more (too tired to go googling im afraid :-()

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

6 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Oh, okay so are handing out labels by comparing people to other people. Got it. Still have a bit of a problem calling anyone with a +.3 handicap a hack, but to each their own I guess.

Not handing out labels.  I'm comparing a guy playing in a PGA Tour event as a pro to the other pros against whom he's competing. 

And I am skeptical of the +0.3 number, yes.

And I didn't call him a hack, I did lump him in with them though!

Edited by 3jacker

2 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

Not handing out labels.  I'm comparing a guy playing in a PGA Tour event as a pro to the other pros against whom he's competing. 

Actually he's competing as an amateur, and yes you are handing out labels.

Edited by NM Golf

7 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

He's come within a few strokes of qualifying for the US Open several times. A vanity-capper he is not.  

Edited by jbishop15

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

42 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

I wouldnt consider PGA golfers to be in the same peer group as Tony Romo. 

Peer group in the sense that they are/were professional atheletes, then sure.

But Romo is a scratch golfer competing as an amateur against guys that are +3 to +6 handicaps.

He shot exactly the course rating, which is what a scratch golfer is supposed to do. How is that "crap given the course"? Sure by PGA tour standards that might be crap, but he's not claiming to have a +5 hcp and then shooting a 77.

Compared to his actual peer group (other scratch golfers) he is doing perfectly fine and is by no means a hack.

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

He could be a scratch golfer, in fact he probably is. There is a BIG DIFFERENCE between a scratch amateur and a Tour pro. 

The Course rating at Corales Golf Club is 76.9 and the slope is 140. So even as a scratch player he would be expected to shoot somewhere in the neighborhood of 77, which is exactly what he did. Throw in the pressure of being in a PGA Tour event, the media, etc, he did a decent job. I don't think people fully realize exactly how good these guys are on the PGA Tour and the absolute chasm that exists between their game and ours.

Thanks for including the CR and slope. Did not realize it.

Still, his record in amateur events is not that great.

Honestly, the Western Open scores is what gives me the most pause. Maybe I was too harsh in calling him a vanity capper.

Either way, I don't have a problem with him competing in a Web.com event. I'm just skeptical that he's really a scratch golfer. He's still really freaking good, though.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

His peer group is retired quarterbacks, so he's a standout for sure!

I did not call him a hack. I was referring to the ams in the AT&T.  It was an attempt to compare the way I felt about watching him shoot 77 in a PGA Tour event to watching the various actors, entertainers, etc. 

The "hack" comment was attributed to me by someone who didn't like my thoughts on Romo's debut in the tournament.

I'll just leave these here.

5 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

I did not call him a hack. 

52 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

He is a relative hack, skill-wise, to his so-called peer group.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

1 hour ago, 3jacker said:

Hacks playing on Tour drive me away.

7 minutes ago, 3jacker said:

I did not call him a hack. I was referring to the ams in the AT&T.  It was an attempt to compare the way I felt about watching him shoot 77 in a PGA Tour event to watching the various actors, entertainers, etc. 

The "hack" comment was attributed to me by someone who didn't like my thoughts on Romo's debut in the tournament.

Obviously I've edited these quotes at either end, but it certainly seemed that you were labeling Romo as a hack, along with the amateurs who play at Pebble Beach.  My opinion, Romo did well to shoot a number right at the course rating, that's a good round by a scratch player.  I have to admit, we're a pretty picky group here about not just content, but about phrasing of opinions.  Even engineers like me, for whom the written word of any kind is like a second language.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Rory has lost twice now to a guy with a similar handicap as Romo BTW.

Trollin' is the life

OK. fair enough.  I did not initially call him a hack.  Then someone said I did, and I went ahead and implied that he was a hack with those statements above.

This thread is about our thoughts on him playing in the event. I gave mine. 

77 in a tour event is good for an amateur, for sure.  I still don't have any desire to see someone play at that level.  I can do that myself!

I understand others are interested to see a guy give it a go, especially a guy that has seen great success in another sport.  I never had an issue with that opinion.  I don't understand the issue with mine. I have harsh ones sometimes.

You do know that tour pro's handicaps are -5 to -6? You claim to be a 2. I think you'd be lucky to break 85 under this pressure on this course from these tees.

Note: This thread is 2219 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!