IGNORED

Finally found my groove, thanks to several YouTubers

Note: This thread is 2183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

Where was this? Link?

Page 10 is the disappearing act of Paul Wilson.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think I found my groove hundred of times in the last 3 years. Wasn´t the case, just figure out new swing movements or feelings that makes my overall swing more consistent. 
Keep working on your discoveries and find more to keep improving your swing. 

I hope you're all happy. My groove didn't follow me back to the range the next time.:cry: Oddly enough, I was hitting stuff with a greater variety of "bad" than ever before. Fat, thin, topped, shanked, hooked and sliced. Out of 100 balls, I probably only had 10 good contacts.

Yeah, I tempted the golf goods something fierce, didn't I. 

Maybe I need to watch all those videos again before going to the range each time.

33 minutes ago, Rykymus said:

I hope you're all happy. My groove didn't follow me back to the range the next time.:cry: Oddly enough, I was hitting stuff with a greater variety of "bad" than ever before. Fat, thin, topped, shanked, hooked and sliced. Out of 100 balls, I probably only had 10 good contacts.

Maybe I need to watch all those videos again before going to the range each time.

There are some things, you just don't say out loud...

;-) 

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

50 minutes ago, Rykymus said:

The Golf Gods giveth and the Golf Gods taketh!     We've all felt your pain.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Rykymus said:

No, not that at all.

What you should do is find a good to great instructor and work with him or her on what they tell you to do.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, Rykymus said:

Lol with "I hope you're all happy." Not happy just been there done that and seen it a hundred times on here. The forum has seen a ton of "ah ha" moments on here and there's no I'll wish just that of us have learned not to say anything about it until it consistent for a while. Keep trying though, you'll get better, it's just golf.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Page 10 is the disappearing act of Paul Wilson.

That's a fascinating thread - well beyond PW's short participation. It's all about "feel" vs "real". 

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

12 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Lol with "I hope you're all happy." Not happy just been there done that and seen it a hundred times on here. The forum has seen a ton of "ah ha" moments on here and there's no I'll wish just that of us have learned not to say anything about it until it consistent for a while. Keep trying though, you'll get better, it's just golf.

"there is no ill will" damn phone

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:12 PM, iacas said:

Without video, you'll have a hard time knowing whether what you're feeling you're doing is even remotely close to what you're actually doing.

I'm kinda old school when it comes to golf lessons, technology etc. But what I found to be helpful (at least in my case) is when I start to hit some bad shots, I have someone grab my phone and take some video of me hitting the ball. I have kept some video of good swings so I can compare it what is going on right now. I have found that I can usually spot something wrong and correct it. Ironically enough, it's usually something minor that creeps in (posture, ball position, or moving my head). When I was in the golf business (18 years ago) we didn't use much video but I wish I would have jumped on that train sooner.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

18 hours ago, Rykymus said:

Not at all. 
Look at this way - if golf was easy and repeatable maybe we'd all get bored with it.

Have you tried going from range to course? That is the harder transition in my experience.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Rykymus, Congrats on finding the swing in the first place through a means without costing you a fortune. I have been doing the same (You Tubing) and can only recommend one thing thing that will save you a ton of time. Take notes! As you search for you swing technique you are going to go through a lot of revisions. From your grip to your stance to you back swing through your take away. I have 3 sets of notes that i have been working on for a few years. Some are on the pres-wing routine. Some are on the swing itself and some are on the recovery.  All have their merits. The most important are the recovery ah ha moments that I discovered on the range that brought me back to striking it clean. Could be a stance change, grip change etc. You want to take notes on all of them. Use them as reference so when things go sideways you have reference to what worked. Or you can spend hours going back over the same You Tube videos again and again. I'm a 6 handicap and keeping in that range can mean the difference of hitting it well rather than just OK. All the work you do on the range can be fruitless if you can take it with you on the course.

All the best. March

I'ma call you Stella.... I am also YouTube taught....two things that really stand out to me are:

1) use low bounce/ slightly curved sole clubs on tight lies

2) allow your club's toe to raise a little depending on the flex, lie, and how hard you swing

Peace

Back at it yesterday. Decided to change my grip and stop interlacing my right pinkie and left index fingers, as it seems my left index finger is always sore, and it hurts a bit at the strike. I was surprised that it didn't seem to feel weird, and didn't really change anything that much. In fact, I think I may be releasing better. But I still have a pull I need to work out.

Got creative and found a spot in our tiny backyard where I could put up my net. I like hitting into the net (with foam balls) as I'm not trying to kill it, and therefore I'm slowing down and just swinging. 

Update: Had my wife video my swing with her iPhone and found that while my body was still and my rotation was good, I was bending the hell out of my left arm on my back swing. Started concentrating on keeping it straight, and my ball striking became a lot more consistent. (Maybe that is what I was doing right that magical day.) Keeping my arm straight also kept me from bringing my club too far back. Ball is going further and straighter, without so much pull.

Of course, it will probably all fall apart again tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, Rykymus said:

Update: Had my wife video my swing with her iPhone and found that while my body was still and my rotation was good, I was bending the hell out of my left arm on my back swing. Started concentrating on keeping it straight, and my ball striking became a lot more consistent. (Maybe that is what I was doing right that magical day.) Keeping my arm straight also kept me from bringing my club too far back. Ball is going further and straighter, without so much pull.

Of course, it will probably all fall apart again tomorrow.

Well now you need to start a swing thread and post that bad boy. 

1 hour ago, Rykymus said:

Maybe that is what I was doing right that magical day.) K

With only several days passing you most likely weren’t doing anything that blatantly different. Video will teach you just how similar your swings look regardless of the outcome. What you often ‘feel’ as a drastic change, deliberate as it may seem will hardly show on video without a lot of work. Remember you’re learning and it’s ok to feel awkward, very awkward when making changes to get the mechanics you’re aiming for. Don’t hesitate to really change that picture. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!