IGNORED

Within 50 yds ....

Note: This thread is 2176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Whenever I am within 50 yds from the hole .... I basicly use one single magic club if there are no hazards between me and the flag.

Whenever possible I play a low risk, high percentage up and down shot ..... it is my little secret for a low score on most holes.

Bump and run towards the flag.

My favo bump and run club is my 8 iron ..... what is yours ?

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Because my 60 degree is my go to club around the greens, if I need to hit the bump and run I usually hit a PW, but a 9 iron can be used also. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

About 8 years ago I took a short game lesson where it was recommended to use my 56* SW played back in the stance for a "one hop and stop" shot from anywhere inside of 30 yards or so. I am now considering a bump and run alternative. My grandfather had used a 7i for such a shot. It will take some practice.

I am partial to the 7i for a bump n run.  Comfy anywhere inside 80 yards with it when I have a clear path.  If its not a clear shot, pull the 51 and open the face accordingly.

I like when Johnny Miller is announcing and he almost always recommends that on shots close to the green for the new, young guys but they never do it.

Could just be an old school shot.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Not that my results would recommend doing it, but my stock shot is to try to pitch a SW to a spot 7 feet or so in front of the stick. I barely get any backspin on it, so that's about the roll out I anticipate.

2 hours ago, Carl3 said:

About 8 years ago I took a short game lesson where it was recommended to use my 56* SW played back in the stance for a "one hop and stop" shot from anywhere inside of 30 yards or so.

I dont agree with that advice

I use my 60 degree 95% of the time when I am 50 yds out. Just a feeling of a nice smooth half swing with a baby divot.

For bump and runs around the green and shorter chips, I use my 50 degree wedge. I feel more comfortable and can control the distance better compared to my PW. my PW and other high lofted irons almost feel too "hot" and I have a hard time controlling the distance.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Default is my PW, but circumstances can dictate anything from a hybrid, to 6 or 7-iron, to all the way through SW.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I dont/cant bump and run.

Reason being, my home course does not have the turf or condition to have any consistency for a bump and run, therefore I have never practiced.
However I practice chipping and pitching (don't know the difference) in the back yard about 20-30 years from boundaries of my yard.
I use a 54 in the yard, 56 on the course. 

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I'm also a pretty good at bump and run. I like to use 7, 8, and 9. Of course it all depends on the lie. If I have a good lie I prefer to chip/pitch. A little half swing with a pitching wedge will go 50-60 yards and stop, if I can pull it off. As I've grown in the game and all my clubs go further, the shorter shots become much more difficult. 

2 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

I like when Johnny Miller is announcing and he almost always recommends that on shots close to the green for the new, young guys but they never do it.

Could just be an old school shot.

And the new guys are MUCH better around the greens too.  There's a reason why no one does a bump n run as their stock short game shot.  Today's player isn't going to take their chances on...chance... of a odd bounce off a slope unless the shot dictates it.  Today players are in tune with their wedges from carry distance, trajectory, spin, etc.  I'd much rather flight a wedge in onto the green and let the ball roll just slightly from there, pending the lie and distance, you might even carry it onto the green with very little if any roll out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

And the new guys are MUCH better around the greens too.  There's a reason why no one does a bump n run as their stock short game shot.  Today's player isn't going to take their chances on...chance... of a odd bounce off a slope unless the shot dictates it.  Today players are in tune with their wedges from carry distance, trajectory, spin, etc.  I'd much rather flight a wedge in onto the green and let the ball roll just slightly from there, pending the lie and distance, you might even carry it onto the green with very little if any roll out.

It appears as they don't use it at all was more what Johnny was saying.

It should be an option in the bag.  The more options you have, the better.

I really like to 51 most short shots but after surveying the shot, landing, rollout, etc. it's the best option sometimes and I am glad I have it in my bag.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Today's players ...... sounds a bit to me that you mean today's tour players ..... not us.

Today's tour players are so seldom in that range from the hole ;-)

I am not a today's (tour) player and a bump and run from let's say 20-30 yds can be hard to judge with a high soft landing pitch shot compared to a low running and rolling bumb and run.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

1 minute ago, Vinny Cap said:

Agreed, but it isn't the go-to shot around the green.  Too much chance involved.  If you know your carry yardages and have some aptitude with a wedge, you'll be much closer to the hole to go with a more standard pitch shot.

2 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

It appears as they don't use it at all was more what Johnny was saying.

I really like to 51 most short shots but after surveying the shot, landing, rollout, etc. it's the best option sometimes and I am glad I have it in my bag.

Sometimes too many options can mess you up too.

On the courses I play, if you can hit a wedge and have it stop reliably, that's the best bet. Everything else is making up for not being able to hit a wedge properly.

12 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Where I play this is exactly the case. You really want the ball to plunk down as close as you can get it.

• Like 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Just now, Gerald said:

Today's players ...... sounds a bit to me that you mean today's tour players ..... not us.

I am not a today's (tour) player and a bump and run from let's say 20-30 yds can be hard to judge with a high soft landing pitch shot compared to a low running and rolling bumb and run.

Tour player or not.  Same principle.  How do you get better?  The longest players hit up with a driver, but since they're tour players you shouldn't?  Logic is broken here.

Amount of time in that range is irrelevant.

Bump and run has too much chance involved.  Pitch the ball on the green and control the ball better.

2 minutes ago, Gerald said:

You must be playing some wide open, flat greens lol.

2 minutes ago, Gerald said:

20-30 yards is a chip shot and that makes sense to bump and run.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 minute ago, Lihu said:

Sometimes too many options can mess you up too.

On the courses I play, if you can hit a wedge and have it stop reliably, that's the best bet. Everything else is making up for not being able to hit a wedge properly.

Where I play this is exactly the case. You really want the ball to plunk down as close as you can get it.

Agreed.  These guys must be playing some wide open, flat greens to be hitting these bump shots all day from 50 yards. LOL.  At my course, good luck with that.

Note: This thread is 2176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!