IGNORED

Which Improves My Game More?

Note: This thread is 2143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Which To Improve My Game?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. I shoot over 100. Which device/system improves my game the most?

• Portable Launch Monitor (Mevo)
    • Stat/Shot Tracking System (GG/Accros)

I shoot over 100. Want to buy one of two. Which is likely to be better for my game?

Portable Launch Monitor like Mevo?

or Stat/Shot tracking system like Game Golf/Accros?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

They're not really in the same class. You can get a GAME GOLF for $85 or so, and a Mevo will run you $500.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, sofingaw said:

Which is likely to be better for my game?

Maybe consider lessons?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Absolutely! Practice and lessons are vital for improvement. But that’s not what I’m looking for here. I would have posted that in ‘Instruction and Playing Tips’

But thanks for the advice.

4 hours ago, iacas said:

They're not really in the same class. You can get a GAME GOLF for $85 or so, and a Mevo will run you $500.

Good point. I mean, I definitely want both. But I’m looking to prioritize which to get first, I guess. 

Personally, I'd spring for the Game Golf first because it's the cheapest.    It has a very large collection of information about your game and will give you insight into the areas needed for improvement.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Each device will only be as good as the person that is interepreting the data and implementing changes into their Game due to what they learn from the device. 

With that said...if money is a deciding factor then GG gets my vote. 

42 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Personally, I'd spring for the Game Golf first because it's the cheapest.    It has a very large collection of information about your game and will give you insight into the areas needed for improvement.  

I think Game Golf has the potential to tell you more about your overall game than the Mevo does.  That in turn will help you (and your instructor) to prioritize what parts of your game need the most work right now.  To me, a launch monitor of any kind is more about fine-tuning.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

definitely game golf/arccos.     If you're consistently shooting over 100, making good contact is is more of a priority than trajectory and ball speed.   The Mevo would probably do very little to improve your game in the short term.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

I also shoot over 100 and found that Game Golf was helpful in understanding how far I hit my clubs which leads to better on-course decisions which leads to better scores.  And not only does it tell me how far I *could* hit my clubs, it also shows me averages which gives me a realistic picture of my game. 

Worth mentioning: the app is free and not that hard to use manually i.e., without the tags. You just need to keep your phone handy/in your pocket. So you could try out the app and see if the stats are meaningful to you.

Edited by krupa
  • Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

As far as improvement, I have to agree with everyone who said the game tracking software is more versatile. Just as @krupa posted, the app on the phone is free and as long as the course isn't packed, it becomes pretty easy to use.

Once I started tracking my game, there weren't too many surprises in general. I was pretty sure my putting was my biggest weakness, and it was. What I thought my distances were ended up being very close to what GG averaged. GameGolf backed up most of what I thought about my game, but there were a couple of stats that did surprise me.

I thought more penalties were incurred with the driver, but it turned out my fairway woods caused more proportionately. So I made a point of working a bit more on those.

I thought my short game was ok, but statistically it wasn't when compared to others at my level.

That said, I'd get launch monitor in a heartbeat if I could. My off season is very long and I think it would a good investment.

Jon

as an high handicap player, I can tell you that the best tools to improve are a tripod and a phone that does slow motion videos (and the sand trap member swing section ☺️)

I have Arccos and it gives you a feedback on the true distances of the clubs, but I don't think that is so important if you shoot >100 (at least not as getting a clean contact consistently); however it's a way to record your progresses and to identify the areas of your game where you can save more strokes

I am a high handi-capper (26.2 and dropping) who was asking the same types of questions you are. I just started golf seriously in February this year. I bought a six-pack of lessons from a highly regarded instructor in my area, and do not regret the decision one bit. I was shooting between 125 and 140 in February and I shot a 95 last week. I typically shoot between 47-50 in my 9-hole league now and I have been getting better each week. I am hoping to break 90 by the end of the season.

I still lust after the launch monitor and Game Golf, but I am 100% positive I would still be shooting in the 120s if I had purchased either of those things instead of the lessons. Each will provide data on your game, but a good instructor will help you understand why a shot ended as it did, and how to correct it.

Edited by Sean_D

Mevo is considerable more expensive, so it's not really a fair comparison, but between the two I'd get a GG if you shoot over 100. I think you can learn more useful stuff from that than the Mevo at your level. You'd also get a lot of lessons for $500. The Mevo can't tell you what you should do or what you are doing wrong. I think a Mevo (or similar) works better if you got some working knowledge on the swing and what to look for. Should also be combined with a camera and filming your swing.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 2143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!