IGNORED

LPGA Player DQed for Playing Damaged Club

iacas
Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rules-violation-causes-lpga-veteran-lee-anne-pace-to-be-disqualified-mid-round

She damaged the club outside of normal usage (slammed in a bit of anger), and played shots with it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's a pretty expensive fit of anger.  

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

From the article: "Rule 4-3b came up, which clearly states that a club damaged during a stipulated round other than in the normal course of play cannot be subsequently used or replaced.

For some people this does represent the normal course of play 😊

Edited by Carl3
typo

1 hour ago, iacas said:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/rules-violation-causes-lpga-veteran-lee-anne-pace-to-be-disqualified-mid-round

She damaged the club outside of normal usage (slammed in a bit of anger), and played shots with it.

Interesting that she called over a rules official to discuss. I wonder if she knew the rule at that time? Clearly she knew it when she walked off. (I would not have known.) But her playing the damaged club was intentional though it doesn't matter; her angry outburst was.  -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

It's important to note that for this rule to be in effect, the damage must cause the club to be nonconforming.  If the damage was such that the club still conformed to the rules then using it would still be allowed.  

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

58 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

It's important to note that for this rule to be in effect, the damage must cause the club to be nonconforming.  If the damage was such that the club still conformed to the rules then using it would still be allowed.  

What sort of damage can I do to a club during a round that allows me to still use it?  

12+ years of playing, still haven't thrown a club, so I'm not too worried about it for me, I'm just wondering. 

-----

Also a reminder, as long as this is a rules discussion:  if you do break it in the course of play (such as breaking the shaft when hitting a shot up against a tree, as Tiger did at the Masters one year), you can replace it if you can do so without undue delay (such as if Nike's tour van had still been there at the time, they could have sent one out to him... not sure how one of us could do this).  If you break it not in the course of play, you don't get to replace it.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Shindig said:

not sure how one of us could do this

By getting a replacement from your locker at the turn, or calling the pro shop and having them bring a club out to you.

And the replacement just has to be a legal club, not a similar club. So you break your pitching wedge… you can add a new driver. :-)

Hopefully we aren't out there busting our clubs too often, though…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

What sort of damage can I do to a club during a round that allows me to still use it? 

I slammed a pitching wedge against the ground during the round once and it hit a rock which put a ding into the sole of the club. Damaged and still conforming.

Good on her for doing the right thing after a childish rules violation ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

I'm wondering what damage she did to make it non confirming tho....

She probably bent the shaft.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

23 hours ago, Shindig said:

12+ years of playing, still haven't thrown a club, so I'm not too worried about it for me, I'm just wondering. 

-----

You could put a bad ding in the face, or where the sole and the face meet, something bad enough to possibly cause a poor shot if you hit the ball right on that spot, yet it could still be conforming and usable.    

Rick

7 hours ago, Fourputt said:

bad ding in the face

this wouldn't make the grooves non-conforming?  I'm guessing any deformation would make the club non-conforming.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

23 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

this wouldn't make the grooves non-conforming?  I'm guessing any deformation would make the club non-conforming.  

That should come under the 4-1 for normal wear.  It's not unusual to strike a rock or such during normal play, so as long as the damage does not directly cause the club to be nonconforming, play with it should be allowed.  Damage or wear on the grooves from normal play does not in itself make a club nonconforming.  Attempting to "repair" them with a groove tool which could make them nonconforming might not be allowed.

Edited by Fourputt

Rick

Not really familiar with her, but love that fact that she did not add any drama to the situation. People taking personal responsibility in the 'its not my fault' era are to be respected.

Note: This thread is 2125 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!