IGNORED

6'6" Fitted to +1.5" and 1° Flat (?!)

mdl
Note: This thread is 2097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My brother's been playing with used stock clubs forever and looks like he's playing with children's clubs.  So he's used to hunching over like crazy and swinging super flat. He finally went to get fit and got the specs in the title for an all Callaway rogue bag. I know different swings and all, but I'm 6'3" and got fit to between +1 and +1.5" (went with 1.5") and 2° upright. I can't help but feel he'd do better with clubs at least a bit upright and unlearning the child's clubs hunch swing. Am I crazy?

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

35 minutes ago, mdl said:

My brother's been playing with used stock clubs forever and looks like he's playing with children's clubs.  So he's used to hunching over like crazy and swinging super flat. He finally went to get fit and got the specs in the title for an all Callaway rogue bag. I know different swings and all, but I'm 6'3" and got fit to between +1 and +1.5" (went with 1.5") and 2° upright. I can't help but feel he'd do better with clubs at least a bit upright and unlearning the child's clubs hunch swing. Am I crazy?

Fitting is a strange bird. I’m 6’3 And was fitted to Ping i200 +1/4 and flat .75. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

There's no industry standard for lie angle. Most manufacturers have different lie angles in different sets.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Fitting is a strange bird. I’m 6’3 And was fitted to Ping i200 +1/4 and flat .75. 

I’m 6’2 1/2”. I just got fitted for Ping G400 irons . Fitted for standard length and lie. Fitter even looked at next shorter (1/2 or 1/4? I didn’t ask). 

Thought I’d need longer. So yeah, depends.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

6'4" here. I'm +.75 and 2 up.

I think it's got something to do with arm length as well. Do the sharpie test and see what that indicates.

Colin P.

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Agree with this.  It’s strange.

My clubs fitted for me (6-3) in 2012 are a couple degrees upright and an inch or two long.

I got to go through a Callaway fitting a couple of years later .... and they told me I was standard lie and length, so ... who knows??

57 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Agree with this.  It’s strange.

My clubs fitted for me (6-3) in 2012 are a couple degrees upright and an inch or two long.

I got to go through a Callaway fitting a couple of years later .... and they told me I was standard lie and length, so ... who knows??

I can understand getting varying results among different clubs since there can be differences in what’s ‘standard’ across different makes. But I believe (pure speculation) that if I went for fittings for the exact same club make/series from 5 different places I’d get varying results. This is what makes me question this whole fitting process for those of us who aren’t pros or scratch.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

45 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I can understand getting varying results among different clubs since there can be differences in what’s ‘standard’ across different makes. But I believe (pure speculation) that if I went for fittings for the exact same club make/series from 5 different places I’d get varying results. This is what makes me question this whole fitting process for those of us who aren’t pros or scratch.

Right? What's the inter rater reliability here...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

12 hours ago, Vinsk said:

It wouldn't surprise me if you went to 5 different fitters and got 5 different results.  Club fitting isn't an exact science...it's part science and part art.  The reason is because there are so many variables.  This is where an experienced fitter can help.  Just because a player is tall doesn't mean his lie angle should be upright.  It just depends on how much of a toe-down affect he creates and his position at impact.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

16 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I would agree here as well. I pretty much fit myself with feel and a lie board. It makes sense if you are above average height, you should have longer clubs. I also agree with @mdl that ideally he should get away from hunchy posture. Maybe you should get a second opinion. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

One important thing to remember in a situation like this guys, and someone who is more of an expert on the swing than I am like @iacas can chime in as well...when a person who is 6'6" (for example) and has been playing with stock clubs for an extended period of time, they develop certain compensations in their address position and swing to make the clubs work.  The OP mentioned his brother has to hunch over quite a bit and has a flat swing in order to make contact.

When a player is then properly fit for new clubs, it's not uncommon (mainly at first) to continue to set-up to the ball hunched over and swing flat, or whatever other compensations they developed.  This can cause some shockingly bad shots initially, which makes people question if the new specs are correct.  With the help of an instructor, or sometimes a player's own natural athletic ability, they will learn to address the ball in a more upright athletic stance and not have to swing so flat.  Clubs that are 1.5" longer and a little flatter is a big change, and people sometimes assume they will hit them great right away, but this sometimes doesn't happen.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2097 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!