N8theGr8_1988

You're Down to 4 Clubs in Your Bag...What Are They???

54 posts in this topic Last Reply

So, being new to the game (hooked after a trip to the range and my very first round, which I posted a hard earned 95,) I've realized that although I have a full bag of 14 clubs, I really only generally rely on 4 (three not counting my putter) for consistency at this stage. I know full well that as my game improves, the need to pull others for those specialty shots will come more often. Just for conversation's sake, if you were down to 4 sticks in your bag, what would they be and why? Feel free to add exact model if you like...

My 4 Club Bag: Precise XT420 Set (2nd Hand and cheap, but I'm consistent with them)

• 460cc, 12*, 48" driver (excellent distance)

• XT420 Cavity Back 7 Iron (controlled, straight, medium range shots)

• XT420 Cavity Back PW (anything near 100yds from the hole, very accurate, high pitching)

• XT420 Counterweight Putter (alignment aid, more comfortable to my grip and stance than my Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2.)

*disclaimer* Despite the laughs at this meager collection, I play really consistent shots with them. My Achilles heel is the driver. I can hit for distance, but about 60% of the time, I will draw one off the fairway into heavy rough or out of play completely. When they do fly straight it's a beautiful sight out to 250+. Hoping to fix the flaw that's most likely in my swing mechanics.

Edited by N8theGr8_1988

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

It is indeed a great game. Enjoy it. Sometimes when walking the public course on Lanai I will limit my clubs, made it down to only 7 iron several times but yes I would agree when spoiled with 4 I would use 3 wood, 7I, PW and putter. 

Being there in Montgomery you got a few good choices there at Capital Hill. We enjoyed the Senator and while the Judge was a bit challenging it was still good fun.

Aloha,

iSank

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me I would carry my 5 iron, 7 iron, pitching wedge and putter.  I hit my 7 iron and pitching wedge better than any other club in my bag. The 5 iron is the longest club that I consistently hit well.  The distance I would lose not hitting a longer club off the tee I feel I would well make up for by being in the fairway. If I would just take that philosophy to the course I would probably score much better. I have a tough time with the mental part of the game and not playing to my abilities.  If it’s a par 5 I want to smoke a driver and end up playing a ball out of the rough rather than hitting a shorter club and using all 3 shots to get on the green. My game is a work in progress and hopefully one day I will get it all figured out.

Probably my 3W, my 7W, my 8I, and my AW. 

I would putt with my 7W. The 3W would give me the longer distances needed. My 7W, and 8I would work well for longer approach shots. My AW would work well for pitching, chipping, and green side bunkers. 

26 minutes ago, iSank said:

It is indeed a great game. Enjoy it. Sometimes when walking the public course on Lanai I will limit my clubs, made it down to only 7 iron several times but yes I would agree when spoiled with 4 I would use 3 wood, 7I, PW and putter. 

Being there in Montgomery you got a few good choices there at Capital Hill. We enjoyed the Senator and while the Judge was a bit challenging it was still good fun.

Aloha,

iSank

Yeah there are a lot of good courses in and around Montgomery. Depending on how much you want to spend on a round, the better courses offer a real challenge even to seasoned golfers and are breathtaking to look at. I'm not quite ready for those yet, but I'm making it a point to "get ready."

23 minutes ago, J M Brown said:

For me I would carry my 5 iron, 7 iron, pitching wedge and putter.  I hit my 7 iron and pitching wedge better than any other club in my bag. The 5 iron is the longest club that I consistently hit well.  The distance I would lose not hitting a longer club off the tee I feel I would well make up for by being in the fairway. If I would just take that philosophy to the course I would probably score much better. I have a tough time with the mental part of the game and not playing to my abilities.  If it’s a par 5 I want to smoke a driver and end up playing a ball out of the rough rather than hitting a shorter club and using all 3 shots to get on the green. My game is a work in progress and hopefully one day I will get it all figured out.

That's a new perspective for me, and I may give that a go. I would love to be better at hitting my metal woods. Tbh, I thought I might struggle with my middle and short irons, but they might be my most consistent choices. PW is a short range must for me right now, as I can be extremely accurate with it from 90-110 yds depending on the stroke I use.

I would carry 5W - 7i - PW & putter.  The distance that I would lose between my Driver and 5W is made up with control.  

Thinking this thru I think it would be a lot of fun to play a 2 ball round and with ball #1 use the entire set and with ball #2 only use these four clubs.

As soon as my fractured heel heals I am going to play 9 doing this

At least once a season I will go out and play a full round with 7i on down, surprising how much this really helps my game

Driver, 3hy, 6hy and gapwedge. 

Driver off the tee, 3hy long shots from rough and fairway. 6y for putting, long rolling chips and shots to the green from 155y-110y. Gapwedge for short chips, bunkershots and shots to the green 100y-70y. 

Driver, 5 hybrid, PW, and putter. 

if i only had 4 clubs.... i'd choose Driver, 4iron,  7 iron, 56* wedge..   i am pretty sure most of the courses in my area someone could get away with only using these 4 clubs

I'm thinking 3 wood, 5 or 6 iron (not sure which, and the course might influence that decision), 9 iron and 56 wedge. I would putt with either the 3 wood choked way down for long putts or a bladed wedge for shorter ones, say less than 15 feet.

Edited by sjduffers

3W, 5i(use as putter as well), 7i, 56

Tough call between 7i and 8i.

I shot 7 over my average using just a 7i a couple times...

Never really missed any fairways, nor found trouble...

3 wood, 7 iron, PW and putter for me.

I'm currently hitting my 3 wood off a tee longer than my driver plus it can double up for long par 4 and 5's.  7 iron pretty and PW gives me a wide range of distances and putter for when I get on the green.

Maybe off topic, but what happen to my other 10 clubs?

1 hour ago, Patch said:

Maybe off topic, but what happen to my other 10 clubs?

Nothing happened, I'm just always intrigued by those who can do more with less...That and a lot of people tend to have a core group of clubs that they can rely on, and this is a "just for fun/what if" type of thread.

6 minutes ago, N8theGr8_1988 said:

Nothing happened, I'm just always intrigued by those who can do more with less...That and a lot of people tend to have a core group of clubs that they can rely on, and this is a "just for fun/what if" type of thread.

I was just joking around about the other 10 clubs. I play in a few local 3 Club Tournaments every so often, so 4 Clubs wouldn't be that much different. Probably easier in fact. 

3H-6i-9i-putter

I’d take 3 wood, 6 Iron, SW, P. 

3 wood to get me off the tee, and for second shots on par 5s when needed. 6 iron is a solid mid iron I could choke up or knock the ball down to aid with distance control. SW for all short game shots, and putter for 3 putting my way to a high score 🙂