IGNORED

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In the this year's open championship's exemptions appears:

Exemption 3: First 10 and anyone tied for 10th place at The 2017 Open Championship

Rafael Cabrera-Bello (3, 4, 5), Spain
Branden Grace (3, 4, 5, 15), South Africa
Brooks Koepka (3, 4, 8, 12, 15)
Matt Kuchar (3, 4, 12, 15)
Marc Leishman (3, 4, 12, 15), Australia
Haotong Li (3, 4, 5), China
Alex Noren (3, 4, 5, 6), Sweden
Matthew Southgate (3), England

My question is, what do the numbers following players names mean ?

Cameron Smith.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, Yegnal said:

In the this year's open championship's exemptions appears:

Exemption 3: First 10 and anyone tied for 10th place at The 2017 Open Championship

Rafael Cabrera-Bello (3, 4, 5), Spain
Branden Grace (3, 4, 5, 15), South Africa
Brooks Koepka (3, 4, 8, 12, 15)
Matt Kuchar (3, 4, 12, 15)
Marc Leishman (3, 4, 12, 15), Australia
Haotong Li (3, 4, 5), China
Alex Noren (3, 4, 5, 6), Sweden
Matthew Southgate (3), England

My question is, what do the numbers following players names mean ?

They're the exemption categories. 

https://www.theopen.com/Players/Exemptions

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Cameron Smith.

...is Australian. I know Americans typically view the world as USA and everybody else, but come on now 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

...is Australian. I know Americans typically view the world as USA and everybody else, but come on now 😜

Damn it...good call...I meant Matthew Fitzpatrick. Those guys out there that look 13 kinda blend together ...lol

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, MGNJ88 said:

player could be a serious contender at The Open this week ?

I’m starting to like Alex Noren’s chances.....

Alex Noren is 36. I dont really consider that to be "young" compared to other players on tour.

If you consider Noren to be a young European at 36, then surely Justin Rose should be considered as well since hes just one year older at 37.

For Rose this year, 2 wins, 7 top 10s, 3rd in the OWGR, 4th in the FedEx Cup, etc etc.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Not too many, John Rahm is probably the most serious young contender other than Fleetwood. Can't see Rahm doing it though, I don't think he has the temperament for Carnoustie. 

Long shots would probably be Eddie Pepperell and Thorbjorn Olessen, the latter being in excellent form. Also agree with Matt Fitzpatrick. 

Edited by Moxley
typo

I think Rose has to be under serious consideration, wouldn't be surprised to see Rahm there too.  If McIlroy can get it right, he's still one of the best in the world.  Francesco Molinari has been on fire lately too, so it'll be interesting to see how his game translates this weekend.

ETA:  Maybe I missed on the young part...

Edited by lungbuster

Mickelson doing the 'ole flop shot 

Unfortunately, photo galleries don't embed properly you'll have to open this one.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 7/16/2018 at 8:58 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Pairings and tee times posted
https://www.theopen.com/TeeTimes#!/R1

Huh, did not know Duval was in the field. 

Looking through these, don't see anything any of the threesomes have in common, looks very randomly drawn.

Steve

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Huh, did not know Duval was in the field

You shared a tweet of him on the practice range.

On 7/16/2018 at 2:06 PM, nevets88 said:

I'd recognize this swing anywhere, the body shape has been all over the place, but the swing has quite the unique fingerprint. Dufner lost weight, put it back on. Didn't Carl Petterson (spelling) too?

Oh it was Instagram. And apparently you thought he was Dufner.

• Informative 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

58 minutes ago, billchao said:

You shared a tweet of him on the practice range.

Oh it was Instagram. And apparently you thought he was Dufner.

I knew it was him, I just thought maybe he's playing in the pro-am or something to do with announcing and just commenting on players who lost a lot of weight and put it back on, writing as you stream of conscious think doesn't make for clearly thought out sentences. 🐒⌨️

Steve

5 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I knew it was him, I just thought maybe he's playing in the pro-am or something to do with announcing

Yea, he's playing under the first exemption: past champion under 60. I imagine that playing in a major is one of those things you just do because you can, even if you're not going to compete. Then again, Tom Watson did finish 2nd at Turnberry at 59, so you never know what can happen out there.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Duval and Woods in the same tournament. WHAT BLACK MAGIC IS THIS?

I wonder how accurate this tech predicting where the ball will roll out will be.

Steve

Note: This thread is 2096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!