IGNORED

2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - Paris, France

lastings
Note:Β This thread is 1987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, lastings said:

I wish I knew a bit more about the course..Β  Β If it's a bombers course with forgiving fairways, I think anything could happen.Β  Β But, If it's a tight ball-strikers course, I'm not sure it's possible to leave Stenson off.Β  Β  Β Unfortunately, I've never seen this course in play and really know nothing about it.Β Β 

Justin Thomas said it's a narrow course and he hit seven drivers over 72 holes when he played the French Open.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 8/15/2018 at 5:22 PM, DeadMan said:

Thank you for proving my point. Actual golfing ability is what matters.

And Rickie has a ton of it. He plays the toughest events, beats a ton of golfers, but rarely wins. The Sagarin ratings, which are based on how many players you beat in each tournament has him 7th: http://rankings.golfweek.com/rankings/default.asp?T=world. His win % against the top 10 in the world is better than Tiger's. He's really freaking good at golf.

Lol. All that and has 4 wins and no majors. And as the 2018 stats showed..he’d be off the team. Fan boy all you want. He’s a hit or miss for the RC.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

@DeadMan, after reading my last text again I apologize for the poor tone it had. So sorry for that. I’m a big Ricky fan (pull for him if Tiger is out). I’m just not real big on having players who aren’t recent winners and think players who are β€˜currently hot’ give a better chance. Stats could certainly prove me wrong. Anyway, just saying..

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Jack is best said:

Tiger is rarely in contention.....and you still kiss his ass?

Your avatar suits you.

One doesn't move from 656th to 26thΒ in the OWGR in barely seven monthsΒ by "rarely being in contention."

Facts don't align with your weak attempts at trolling.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, Jack is best said:

He was leading this year's Open on Sunday and was 2nd in this year's PGA Championship. That's rarely?

17 minutes ago, Jack is best said:

Damn, being a troll is embarrassing enough, but a dumb troll? Come on, throw something intelligent out there. If you're gonna be bear be a grizzly.Β 

14 hours ago, Jack is best said:

Jack is not in contention at all for decades.... and you still kiss his ass?Β 

• Like 2

I think Poulter has done enough and should be in either way, but I don't think Byorn should go for the other big names - Garcia, Stenson, Casey , unless they make a really good case for themselves. Pepperell is looking really good and i'd rather a young player in form over an experienced player out of form.Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, Moxley said:

I think Poulter has done enough and should be in either way, but I don't think Byorn should go for the other big names - Garcia, Stenson, Casey , unless they make a really good case for themselves. Pepperell is looking really good and i'd rather a young player in form over an experienced player out of form.Β 

Β 

Garcia is out of form and Stenson has some injuries, so that will cause some consideration.. I think Stenson and Casey, Poulter are locks. Garcia is giving some concerns with his form.. Cabrera Bello could be a pick.. Pepperell has to play himself to the team, and he could do it by winning the Czech Masters. Olesen is still hanging to the last place, but might drop out, I think he also needs to be top8 to make it

EDIT: Just looked at Casey's recent form and it's actually pretty bad.. So maybe just Stenson and Poulter locks.. Will be interesting

Β 

Edited by FinTurma
New info

https://nolayingup.com/2018/08/22/ryder-cup-points-system-overrates-winning/

What do you think @VinskΒ ? I'm largely with the Author here - I don't think you discount the value of a player being able to win (especially in big events), but I'd rather the priority be on better overall golfers.Β 

Β 

19 minutes ago, FinTurma said:

Β Pepperell has to play himself to the team, and he could do it by winning the Czech Masters. Olesen is still hanging to the last place, but might drop out, I think he also needs to be top8 to make it.

Β 

I can see your point with Pepperell, although if he plays well and narrowly misses the top 8, it will still mean he's in good form and ought to go. Olesen should be an absolute cert wheher he makes the top 8 or not - he's won as recently as June, and has had a number of top 10's since, ncluding in a WCG - he's playing better than any of the other namesΒ mentioned there, except maybe Poulter.Β 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Moxley said:

Β 

https://nolayingup.com/2018/08/22/ryder-cup-points-system-overrates-winning/

What do you think @VinskΒ ? I'm largely with the Author here -

Β 

Really enjoyed that. I agree with the author too. I’d like to see the same comparison for other players on the bubble and on the team. I’d also like to get @iacasΒ @brocksΒ and @turtlebackΒ to commment on the article.

I was literally coming in here to post that same article that @MoxleyΒ posted. This is a great summation of why I'm happy to have Fowler on the team, because he is very consistent at beating a ton of other players. To do well at the Ryder Cup, you don't need to be the best golfer in the world for a weekend. You just need to be able to beat one or two other people essentially.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway:Β ParadymΒ :callaway:Β Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway:Β Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel:Β SMSΒ Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

Β :aimpoint:

well, Phil is currently making his case for a pick based on more than just "but.....you gotta pick me,.....I'm a legacy"

let's see how it goes

• Like 1

Bill -Β 

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

well, Phil is currently making his case for a pick based on more than just "but.....you gotta pick me,.....I'm a legacy"

let's see how it goes

Β 

Like the pitch perfect referenceΒ πŸ‘

3 minutes ago, Moxley said:

Β 

Like the pitch perfect referenceΒ πŸ‘

I'm more of an Animal House guy, but to each his own

"My brother Fred was a Delta. That makes me a legacy. They gotta take me-- it's like their law! Don't worry-- I'll put in a good word for you!".

Edited by rehmwa

Bill -Β 

On 8/23/2018 at 4:58 AM, Vinsk said:

Really enjoyed that. I agree with the author too. I’d like to see the same comparison for other players on the bubble and on the team. I’d also like to get @iacasΒ @brocksΒ and @turtlebackΒ to commment on the article.

Honestly, I consider the Ryder and President's Cups to be off-season exhibitions, so I don't follow them that closely.Β  But it seems logical to me that you would rather have a somewhat volatile player rather than a Steady Eddie, because you want a guy who makes a lot of birdies and eagles to win holes, and if he makes a double or triple bogey along the way, it's no big deal.Β Β  Same as making a par, if your opponent makes birdie.

Of course, you might have to sit him during the foursomes, if nobody else is used to hitting it from where he drives it.Β  That's probably why Tiger has such a dismal foursomes record, and it's a mystery to me why the RC captains keep putting him in foursomes.Β  It was especially egregious in 2010 when because of a weather delay, Corey Pavin had to put Tiger in either foursomes or fourball on Sunday, and he inexplicably chose foursomes, which predictably resulted in a lopsided loss.Β 

That made it a perfect 100% for Pavin doing practically everything wrong a captain could do --- the plane he chartered was too small to hold the team, the rainsuits he ordered didn't keep the rain out, and he used a pick to take Rickie Fowler, who is a good player now, but at the time was winless for his PGA career, and was a liability on the team.Β  Pavin singlehandedly convinced me that it really does matter who the captain is.

Note:Β This thread is 1987 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!