IGNORED

2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National - Paris, France

lastings
Note: This thread is 2008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The No Laying Up podcast guys did an entertaining oral history of the RC this week from 1999-2016. I would suggest fans of the RC listen to it. 

It reminded listeners how dark of a period the US went through in the event for the better part of the past 20 years. I think there is plenty of blame to go around- for most of their primes, Tiger and Phil were never the leaders they needed to be for the US team and at times openly undermined the event with divisive/demoralizing behavior or words....especially in that really dark 2002-2006 stretch. US golf also went through an awkward phase from 2000-2008 where there was a serious dirth of young American talent for the team. At the end of the 2006 season, there was only 1 American tour player in his 20s to have a PGA tour victory- Ben Curtis....let that sink in for a minute.

Fortunately for us, those dark years are now (hopefully) long behind us. Tiger and Phil are fully engaged in the event and US golf is stacked with young talent. Not to mention that small story that Tiger is playing damn good golf right now. This is setting up to be one hell of a RC. 

Edited by skydog

Tiger playing the RC is huge good news for the event. And I don’t believe Euro’s think its good to help us (Euro’s) win. It is good to have the best possible team and Tiger 100% belongs there.

Matt Wallace in the RC? Not a good idea, guy is far to streaky with 50% missed cuts over his last 14 events. And 50% missed cuts on his last 6 majors. I think the best picks for the Euro’s are Poulter, Cabrero Bello, Casey and Stenson.

Edited by MacDutch

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, MacDutch said:

.I think the best picks for the Euro’s are Poulter, Cabrero Bello, Casey and Stenson.

The Ryder Cup isn't the Ryder Cup without Sergio, imho

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Ok, teams are now fixed, these would my wildcards :

USA: 

Dechambaeu, Woods, Mickleson, Finau

Europe

Poulter, Cabrera Bello, Stenson, Wallace 

I'd argue that after Tiger has spent a Ryder Cup helping as a vice captain of a (very) successful team will help him be a much better team player. He's not the Tiger of the early 2000's anymore who was pretty cool and distant from everyone else on the course regardless of the event.

10 hours ago, Moxley said:

Ok, teams are now fixed, these would my wildcards :

USA: 

Dechambaeu, Woods, Mickleson, Finau

I'd agree.  Bryson, Phil and Tony have validated quite a bit lately.  And Tiger is Tiger, or I'd argue he hasn't nailed it down nearly as much as those guys have lately.  But he's playing as good as any of the others, and he'll add a spark.

Bill - 

Geoff Shac had an interesting point on Golf Channel. He said it would be a bit of a slap on European Tour's face if they don't pick Matt Wallace. I can see the point, Wallace has won 3 times on the European Tour.

So it looks like Casey, Stenson, Poulter, Wallace or RCB

As crazy as it sounds Garcia might not be in the RC. But I think he should've made the effor to play in Czech and Denmark (unless Bjorn has already told him that he's a pick..) Somehow I think that Serge won't be picked and he won't be happy.

This might turn in to a big US win.. Can't wait to see who get's picked on Europe team! US looks really clear on picks. Go Europe!

1 hour ago, FinTurma said:

Geoff Shac had an interesting point on Golf Channel. He said it would be a bit of a slap on European Tour's face if they don't pick Matt Wallace. I can see the point, Wallace has won 3 times on the European Tour.

So it looks like Casey, Stenson, Poulter, Wallace or RCB

As crazy as it sounds Garcia might not be in the RC. But I think he should've made the effor to play in Czech and Denmark (unless Bjorn has already told him that he's a pick..) Somehow I think that Serge won't be picked and he won't be happy.

This might turn in to a big US win.. Can't wait to see who get's picked on Europe team! US looks really clear on picks. Go Europe!

I agree, I don't necessarily think that team Europe needs to be tied to the European tour, but if you're going to do that , then you should be consistent in your approach. If a player who has won 3 times on the European tour and is in form , is overlooked for somebody like Garcia who couldn't make the top 125 on the PGA, that's damning. 

Garcia shouldn't be there, he hasn't played well all year - the only thing I've seen him do this year, other than missing the cut, is putting 5 balls into water at Augusta. 

The European Tour is the organization that runs the Ryder Cup in Europe and organizes everything. The Ryder Cup is also the reason the European Tour doesn't lose a ton of money. The Ryder Cup is its cash cow. There's a pretty big incentive to pick players that play well on the European Tour.

Anyways, the US picks tonight will be Tiger, Phil, and Bryson. Hard to argue with any of those, especially with Phil playing a bit better recently. Last pick should probably be Finau.

Poulter is a lock for Europe. I would imagine Stenson gets in, too. Then it's down to Casey, RCB, Sergio, and Wallace I guess. It's hard not to pick Wallace. RCB seems to be playing well right now. Casey literally joined the European Tour to play in the Ryder Cup and won this year. It's tough to leave him out. I don't see how you can possibly pick Sergio, but you never know.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

31 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Wallace I guess. It's hard not to pick Wallace

in the same week Wallace won in Europe, RCB was over here getting 7th in the tournament that literally has all the worlds best players in it, not to mention the T10 he had at the PGA championship.  

It's cool to play favorites with the European tour players when it's close.   But, I really don't think it's close here.  

Not to mention that Matt Wallace is behind not only RCB, but also Matt Fitzpatrick, Eddie Pepperell, and Russel Knox in European points.  And behind all of them and jorge Campillo in Race to Dubai points.   The wins are nice, but he just doesn't have the overall resume to support an argument. 

• Like 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

13 hours ago, rehmwa said:

And Tiger is Tiger, or I'd argue he hasn't nailed it down nearly as much as those guys have lately.  But he's playing as good as any of the others, and he'll add a spark.

Tiger Woods and Phil are currently separated by fewer than 12 points out of about 4,200 total. I'd say they're on pretty level footing recently too, with Tiger's near PGA win (compared to Phil being cut) and Phil's 2 top 20's in the last two tournaments (compared to a T40 and T24).

Think @lastings gives all the good reasons why Wallace should not be picked. That and 7 missed cuts out of his last 14 events. Let alone 3 missed cuts on his last 6 majors. Wallace is streaky and his wins are in a weak field compared to where the other possible picks are playing. Also no RC-experience. Its a big no if I were Björn.

U.S. wise, I think Tiger and Bryson are no brainers. A month ago I thought Schauffele was a lock and Kuchar was also likely to be on it, but now, I think the complete opposite. Their play since the British Open has been anything but stellar and likely lost their spot. I think Finau and Phil get the last two spots. Phil's 63 yesterday may have been the golden ticket. 

Dark horse? Snedeker.

Kuchar and ZJ are assistant captains. I think that means the last spot is down to Finau and Xander.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I’d rather Phil be an asst. captain than a player. The 63 was great..but it’s Phil...next thing you know he’s taking a snowman. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Still would like to see Zach playing.  He can putt and hits his wedges better than most.  Jordan has been awful this year but makes the team on points... he needs to show up, period

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I’d rather Phil be an asst. captain than a player. The 63 was great..but it’s Phil...next thing you know he’s taking a snowman. 

A snowman in the Ryder Cup is just one hole lost, though.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

A snowman in the Ryder Cup is just one hole lost, though.

This is true. I meant more of a generalized notion of playing well then  quite poorly. He’s definitely got the experience. Our team is pretty stout I’d just like to give another young gun a chance.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2008 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!