IGNORED

Lexi Thompson Steps Away from the Game to Recharge

iacas

That probably wasn't an easy decision to make, or easy message to post.  Regardless of how I feel about some of the things she's done re: golf, I completely understand and respect this...whatever it really involves (NOMB).  Golf is hard, but life can be astronomically harder.  Hopefully she's able to find what she's looking for, and comes out better for it.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think, if she really needs to work on herself, a month is way too short. Maybe 6 months, probably a year or a lot more.

So its just a short break or a really long one.

Kind of a weird post ("work on myself" is just an odd phrase for something she knew a lot of people would read).

A little odd, but ten years ago nobody would have even noticed.

- John

33 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

"work on myself" is just an odd phrase for something she knew a lot of people would read

At least she didn't say she was "re-inventing" herself.

I'm not a fan or a hater of Thompson, but I hope whatever she's going through is trivial and not at all serious. I know it comes with the territory, but can you imagine holding a press conference or feeling like you have to inform the public just because you had to take some time off work the deal with some personal issues. What a strange way to live.

Jon

Some of the comments bother me quite a bit as I work in an area that deals with people with depression. Lexi's leave may be physical.  But it is a little much to speculate  a drug involvement.  Sorry, she is taking time and that may be what she needs to recent herself.  She obviously does not want to share details or why.  

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

I understand she might be suffering from burnout or some type of depression or whatever it is that's the cause of her needing to "recharge her mental batteries", but if this is a voluntary decision, is that the right move just before a major?  She's a professional, and sometimes pros have to compete when they are less than 100%.  Maybe they are under the weather, maybe they have a broken leg, but if you're able to walk, you play the majors, right?  Why couldn't she start working on herself after the Women's Open?

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• Administrator
7 hours ago, DrMJG said:

Some of the comments bother me quite a bit as I work in an area that deals with people with depression. Lexi's leave may be physical.  But it is a little much to speculate  a drug involvement.  Sorry, she is taking time and that may be what she needs to recent herself.  She obviously does not want to share details or why.  

Four weeks is such a weird amount of time don’t you think?

2 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

I understand she might be suffering from burnout or some type of depression or whatever it is that's the cause of her needing to "recharge her mental batteries", but if this is a voluntary decision, is that the right move just before a major?  She's a professional, and sometimes pros have to compete when they are less than 100%.  Maybe they are under the weather, maybe they have a broken leg, but if you're able to walk, you play the majors, right?  Why couldn't she start working on herself after the Women's Open?

Maybe she really really hates fish and chips.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Four weeks is such a weird amount of time don’t you think?

Must be a "program." Maybe it's a cleanse. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Valleygolfer said:

Must be a "program." Maybe it's a cleanse. 

I thought the few drug comments before were facetious.

I take her at her word: she's just exhausted, mentally, and wants a break. Traveling + jet lag + mentally tired = a good time to take a break.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

I thought the few drug comments before were facetious.

I take her at her word: she's just exhausted, mentally, and wants a break. Traveling + jet lag + mentally tired = a good time to take a break.

Cleansing referring to a dietary thing, not drug. Program for anything? 

Edited by Valleygolfer

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Cleansing referring to a dietary thing, not drug. Program for anything? 

Regardless, she said pretty plainly:

The events of the past year and a half (on and off the golf course) have taken a tremendous toll on me both mentally and emotionally. I have not truly felt like myself for quite some time.  I am therefore taking this time to recharge my mental batteries, and to focus on myself away from the game of professional golf.

None of that says anything about diet, fitness, etc. Yes, I'm aware of the mental tie-ins, but she's an active, fit gal that works out and eats right.

She's just mentally burnt out. The ruling stuff, the short missed putts, the health concerns of her mother (IIRC), competing on Tour, not having success like she expects… losing some leads this year in the final round(s), etc.

I take her at her word.

52 minutes ago, iacas said:

None of that says anything about diet, fitness, etc. Yes, I'm aware of the mental tie-ins, but she's an active, fit gal that works out and eats right.

She's just mentally burnt out. The ruling stuff, the short missed putts, the health concerns of her mother (IIRC), competing on Tour, not having success like she expects… losing some leads this year in the final round(s), etc.

I take her at her word.

I think this makes the most sense. And traveling abroad for a major can be exhausting I’m sure so she probably realized it’s time to take the break. Like Erik said she’s physically fit so I doubt it’s anything to do with that. I have noticed (and may be totally off here) but it seems when I look through GC photo slideshows...there’s always photos of groups of girls hanging out doing whatever whereas Lexi’s pics seem to be her alone either in the gym or some ‘outing’ where she’s alone.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I take her at her word.

Right and we are speculating why, ala forumese... I assume that it is what she says it is but weird that she posts it like this, which leads to speculation that she may have been trying to avoid in the first place with the post....

18 hours ago, iacas said:

If he was even remotely serious… you may have a point.

Lol.  Of course I wasn't.  

Good lord. It's amazing how some people internet.

Sorry if my comment came on too strong.  It is based on the work I do. Athletes learn to push on. Even a month away can do wonders.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

7 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

Life is astronomically more important than golf, regardless of the level of the game (pro or amateur), the status of the professional, or the timing of a decision like this. 

It does not deserve to be questioned. It deserves to be supported 100% without question.

“I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone’s golf game. It’s called an eraser.” - Arnold Palmer
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dynatour Titanium Matrix Driver, Top Flite 3W, 4HY, 5HY, 6,7,8,9 irons,PW, Ping Eye2 Gorge Lob Wedge, Top Flite Putter

30 minutes ago, ejm1994 said:

Life is astronomically more important than golf, regardless of the level of the game (pro or amateur), the status of the professional, or the timing of a decision like this. 

It does not deserve to be questioned. It deserves to be supported 100% without question.

This is a forum.  This is exactly what we do here...we debate (mostly) golf-related topics, share views and opinions, and question statements or information that doesn't quite add up. 

• Like 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I saw her Insta post today. I won't speculate the reasons or what exactly she needs to work on anymore than what she has posted, but I will say I wish more people would or were able to afford to stop and take a break or some sort of sabbatical leave to re-assess, redirect, refocus, etc., instead of continuing to hobble through life.  

Vishal S.