IGNORED

Play in the Championship flight or not?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Play in the Championship flight or not?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Play in the Championship flight or not?

• No. Wait until next year/or when you have a lower cap
    • Go for it.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/2018 at 04:00 AM

I am slated to play in the club championship, for the first time. I really want to be in the championship flight but my current handicap is not low enough to automatically be in it. Our flight starts at under 7. I was 7.2 last year and am now at 9.6, although I am trending to 8.6. I have shot rounds in the mid to seventies this year but not a lot. I have the option of choosing to play in the championship flight. What would you do, part of me says go for it and part of says that there is a handicap for a reason and to wait. I'm looking for "golf" reasoning... Maybe a seasoned low capper's opinion?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In my opinion... If you want to be the best, you must beat the best. Never pass up an opportunity to play "up". I have learned more, and made the greatest improvements in all my athletic and coaching endeavors by competing against people/teams I had no business competing against. You may not win, but competing against superior competition will force you to get better. And if you win.... Then you have truly won something, and not just beat up on a bunch of scrubs.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I am slated to play in the club championship, for the first time. I really want to be in the championship flight but my current handicap is not low enough to automatically be in it. Our flight starts at under 7. I was 7.2 last year and am now at 9.6, although I am trending to 8.6. I have shot rounds in the mid to seventies this year but not a lot. I have the option of choosing to play in the championship flight. What would you do, part of me says go for it and part of says that there is a handicap for a reason and to wait. I'm looking for "golf" reasoning... Maybe a seasoned low capper's opinion?

You are what your hcp is.Championship flight will require consistency and more skill which a 7 8 or 9 isn't gonna have.You will get beat pretty good and prove nothing unless you get a lot better.

2 minutes ago, Aflighter said:

You are what your hcp is.Championship flight will require consistency and more skill which a 7 8 or 9 isn't gonna have.You will get beat pretty good and prove nothing unless you get a lot better.

I agree with you in a lot of ways. The guys at our club can be hit or miss at my club with pressure. I am generally hit or miss so you are right in that aspect. I would be surprised to see more than a couple of guys shoot two days under 80. A lot of them rarely play the championship tees. I play the blacks 95% of the time but I have not been playing decent until lately. I do not feel like I am playing as consistent as I need to win much less contend. That being said, the beating might soften future endeavors in the championship flights.

Since it sounds like you have the option to play in lower flight with other people your handicap, I say play in that flight. You will be more competitive and probably enjoy it more. (At least I know I would enjoy it more playing with people closer to my skill level)

If it was choosing between playing in the championship flight and not playing at all, I'd choose the championship flight, with lower expectations obviously.  

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Play your handicap, not the ego.  Think of winning your flight this year as practice for winning the championship flight, and most improved golfer, next year.

If you really have that option, it kind of depends what you are looking for out of the experience.

Obviously the odds of winning a championship flight are pretty slim. If winning is less important to you than seeing how the the club's best sticks hit em, go for it.

At your HI you won't slow those guys down any. 

• Like 1

Tough call VG.  I do hope you fill us in on what you do and how you played.

I can see both sides of the fence...  good luck to you on what you decide.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

52 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

I am on the cusp of playing where I want but I still am leery of which VG shows up. I will be disappointed if I play lights out in the second flight but my rational side says I will play to my cap. Unfortunately I have been at 8-10 shot difference in play...so I just don't know...

7 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I am on the cusp of playing where I want but I still am leery of which VG shows up. I will be disappointed if I play lights out in the second flight but my rational side says I will play to my cap. Unfortunately I have been at 8-10 shot difference in play...so I just don't know...

I hear ya.

If you play 2nd tier and tear it up your a sandbagger.

If you play Champ tier and duff it around your a vanity capper.

Almost like a no win situation.  Best of luck to you.  Prob play 2nd tier and show them who da man is!!!

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

1 hour ago, Vinny Cap said:

I hear ya.

If you play 2nd tier and tear it up your a sandbagger.

If you play Champ tier and duff it around your a vanity capper.

Almost like a no win situation.  Best of luck to you.  Prob play 2nd tier and show them who da man is!!!

I'm thinking second tier and just seeing what happens...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

At my club, the champion flight is strictly a gross game.

Am I understanding correctly, that you were allowed to play in the championship flight with a high handicap and that it’s a net game?

I would hope not.  The club champion should reflect the best player, period. Not the individual that manages his handicap the best…

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I voted wait but if you want a challenge you should do it. 

Personally I would like to do the champ flight at my club if I can get down to a 4 or so... but we also have at least a dozen guys who can shoot a 66 and not go over 74. So it would be an experience more than a chance to win.

11 hours ago, David in FL said:

Am I understanding correctly, that you were allowed to play in the championship flight with a high handicap and that it’s a net game?

I would hope not.  The club champion should reflect the best player, period. Not the individual that manages his handicap the best…

Same at my course. As a 7 capper I played the foursome clubchampionship with my 5 cap buddy. Became champion by beating the rest (and most lower hcps), no shots given. Best achievement in my golfhistory ever. To the TS I would say: go for it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, David in FL said:

Gross, for A flight, net for B flight 

27 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

Same at my course. As a 7 capper I played the foursome clubchampionship with my 5 cap buddy. Became champion by beating the rest (and most lower hcps), no shots given. Best achievement in my golfhistory ever. To the TS I would say: go for it!

I wanted to do this, really. I don't think it is going to happen this year. 

Most clubs allow anyone to opt to play Champ Flight / Scratch which is a true form of medal paly.
I played one year in our Champ flight and had great rounds playing from the tips - 7230 (74.6 / 136)
I personally enjoy golfing with better players as it tends to make me focus better.

I vote to play champs if that gives you any confidence @Valleygolfer  :beer:

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 hour ago, Club Rat said:

Most clubs allow anyone to opt to play Champ Flight / Scratch which is a true form of medal paly.
I played one year in our Champ flight and had great rounds playing from the tips - 7230 (74.6 / 136)
I personally enjoy golfing with better players as it tends to make me focus better.

I vote to play champs if that gives you any confidence @Valleygolfer  :beer:

I appreciate the sentiment and now wished I had played in the champ flight. Next year I will. 

On 8/10/2018 at 4:29 PM, Vinny Cap said:

First time playing a tournament dependent on my own score... since well, forever. I played okay but had a few choke moments. I shot 81/84 for T6 in my flight. I totally choked on the 18th hole and got a little screwed at the same time. I'm glad that I played the flight I was in and this will prepare me for future events. The first day was decent weather, the next day was a steady drizzle that wasn't too bad but made for a heavy rough and slower than usual greens. It was a tough second day for most of the competitors. I am glad the championship is over and looking forward to next year's tournament. Now I can relax and play...

Note: This thread is 2081 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!