IGNORED

What tee to play from?

cnl390
Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Generally play the tees that are from 5700 to 6000 yards....I am not ashamed to play the forward tees, but not fighting playing the next set back when playing with other folks...

• Upvote 1

Over here we usually have 3/4 sets of tees where 2 of them overlap. White/yellow for the mens and Blue/red for women. The blue and yellow usually overlap. 

I always play the yellows and that can be from 5500 to 6600 depending on the course. I definitely won’t be moving up to the ladies tees. 🙂

But I admit that it’s not really fun for me to play a 6600 yard course because my driver sucks and that usually means 3 wood, 3 wood into the longer par 4s and I might still end up short on the 440 par 4s. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

99% of time play at the same country club course from what we call the white tees, 5911 yds.  14 handicap.  My problem is the second hole is uphill and I don't have the skill/accuracy to be on the GIR.   Not worth playing the shorter tees for my one problematic hole.

Tees at my club:

Black 6902

White 6494

Blue  6210

Green 5947

Red 5647

Yellow  5151

We are eliminating one of the tee boxes this winter, probably the Red. That was traditionally the women's tee but it was too difficult for most of them (73.9/135 for women) so they all now play from the Yellow. Green was traditionally the Senior tee but a lot of Seniors resisted moving up so we went to colors afew years back. The Blue tee is new and is the original yardage for the course when it was built in 1908. It eventually was stretched to 6902 (Black) with the regular mens tee (White) being 6494. I love the Blue tee and play there a lot, but I have to make sure to play as much as I can from the White because that is where we play all the tournaments. If I play too much from the Blues I end up having a problem from the White. 

Bill M

Not being a long hitter the I tend to stick to the tees that play to about 6200 yards.

:cobra: Amp Driver 10.5*(R)
:tmade: Burner 3W 15*(R)
:tmade: Burner 2.0 Rescue 3-4
:titleist: 714 AP1 Irons 5-pw, gw(Steel XP95 R300)
:callaway: MD3 Wedges 56, 60
:nickent:Omen Long Putter(un-anchored)

Had an interesting thing happen yesterday during my round. A buddy and I were playing together as a twosome, and the course was really backed up. Marshall let a twosome who had caught the foursome behind us play though and catch us as we were waiting to drive up to the 7th tee (it was still taken by the group ahead of us). The guys drove up and we talked for a bit, and ended up playing the rest of the round with them as instructed and had a good time. But at the time they first got paired with us we stated "hey guys just want to let you know we are playing the whites (6100 yards)". They said "ok thats fine, we are playing the blues (6500 yards)". We told them no worries we didn't mind playing from different tees, and the drove off first and headed to the tee as we followed. The thing is they drove right past the blues and parked at the whites! One of the guys climbed out and said "we talked it over and decided to play the whites with you guys...we just needed an excuse to do it". It was a little funny, and over the course of the round I could see why the "whites" were the CORRECT choice for their game. Most of my drives fell between 230-250 with my dinkers usually being 200-220....and I was CLEARLY the long hitter of the group. Its amazing how many long irons the guys had to hit into greens when I had mid irons...I just couldn't help but think what they would have into par 4s if they had played from the blues!! Hitting a bunch of 3 woods into par 4s sounds like miserable golf...

I share this because this thread (like others on the same topic) probably has at least some people like these guys. Don't get caught up in "tee markers" as the "right" choice for what you should play. If you are unsure what tees to play, or you want to enjoy the game a little more don't be afraid to take a realistic evaluation of your game and adjust accordingly....golf just may be fun again. 

• Like 3

I play from the senior tees, around 5500 yards. In the DelMarVa when it gets rainy and wet the courses play much longer and I like a gir every now and then.  Unril I start hitting that easy 300 yd drive I will play my game and enjoy.  

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 5:09 PM, HJJ003 said:

"we talked it over and decided to play the whites with you guys...we just needed an excuse to do it"

I'm really hoping the twosome in front of me decided on this yesterday.  As I was paying, I saw them tee off from the blacks to the tune of a 150 yard pull hook and a slice OB.  I sighed to myself and figured I'd go hit some chips and putts to get at least a full hole between me and them.  On my way to the practice green I saw them both hit breakfast balls...grand total of 4 tee shots, 0 in the fairway.

They were able to a stay full hole ahead of me (though I was walking) so maybe they wised up and played from the whites or were at the least mindful of pace of play, so no real complaints.  I just find it strange that so many guys under 30 feel they HAVE to play from the tips.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

10 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

I just find it strange that so many guys under 30 feel they HAVE to play from the tips.

It’s ego for some and misinformation for many. Can’t tell you how many people I have met that truly believe they hit the ball farther than they do so they justify playing tees they shouldn’t. Gamegolf and devices like it are great tools to make someone realize their actual abilities.

Recently my brother and I had won a round and a very exclusive country club nearby. We normally play tees around the 6,000 yard mark. This course had Gold at 6,200 and a White/Red combo tee at 5,800. We were initially reluctant to play the "ladies" tees, but eventually opted for the shorter track. Good thing we did, the course beat us up pretty good from there. 

Anyway, as I approach 40 I have fully accepted that I enjoy golf more from the appropriate tees. Until I can drive the ball 270 I am gonna stick with enjoyment over ego. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

- Mark

Note: This thread is 1986 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!