IGNORED

Stop Lying About Your Distance - It's Pissing Me Off (Rant Thread)

AltGolfer
Note: This thread is 1709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I don't understand why anyone cares about how far someone hits a golf ball. Whether they are lying or not, I am not sure why people want to define themselves by how far they hit the ball. I understand even less when people like the OP get their panties in a bunch about someone else's claim.

I hit the ball a long way, I personally get a little bugged when I play with someone and they ask me how far I hit it on average. WHO CARES! 

Play your game and let others play theirs. I worry about one thing, my score.

One last thing for the OP, I average 326 yards off the tee. 😜

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If the OP plays primarily (only) in Asia, where a typical round of golf costs in the high $200, his joy may come more from long distance driving than the actual game. I saw a lot of this when I lived in Singapore, where many simply went to driving ranges and called that "golf" s opposed to the USA where we call it practice.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

In the last year I've been fit for a full bag at Club Champion.  I'm 44, 6'2", workout regularly and hit a ton of balls both at home into a net and at the range as well as play a decent amount.

I swing 99-100 mph with my driver and my typical distances (with roll) generally are:

Driver - 275-285

3 Wood - 250-265

3 Hybrid - 235

4 Hybrid - 205-220

7i - 180-185

Just played in a best ball tourney and won the long drive contest with a 320 yd shot.  Hole was set up for it with a very elevated tee.  We had about 60 yds left to the green.

I will say my averages with my irons are pretty consistent but with the driver it definitely varies.  I can hit one 285 and the next hole, 245-250.  Also depends on the shot I'm trying to play.  If it's a fade then it won't carry or roll as much.  Nevertheless, most of the time I'm left with a wedge in.  I'll hit a PW from 150 out.

OK, bragging part of the post over and I can tell you that I'm NOT bragging.

I can't break 90 to save my life and I'm actually pretty consistent too.  Yes distance is important but at the end of the day you gotta be able to get the ball in the hole.  At my current level, I don't have a knack for getting the ball in the hole.  Yesterday I shot 92 (I don't give myself mulligans and count every stroke and penalty) and had 9 GIR's.  Four or five were within 10 feet of the pin.  3 of the holes I bogeyed because of a 3-putt.  My short game isn't horrendous but has to get better if I'm going to break this barrier.  I still get 2-3 really bad full swing misses a round which doesn't help either.

I would happily give up 25 yds of distance on every club if I could be a mid to low handicapper. 

Really goes to show you just how tough this game is when you're a well above average ball striker and still can't drop strokes.

Being close to 70 when it is time to talk about distance off the tee, all I can do is tell once a pone a time stories.  Great to get those long drives in while your young or at least under 60, and keep playing those black and blue tee boxes while you can....but if you love golf the day will come when 270 becomes 250 next week 240 until you will think 220 is long.  Those black and blue tee boxes turn white and before you know it yellow tee boxes (sorry ladies very few courses have green in front of red yet).  Best I can tell you is even at 70 the 7 iron still is the 150 yard club......most of us older guys spend more time on the putting green then the driving range these days.... 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, hespeler said:

In the last year I've been fit for a full bag at Club Champion.  I'm 44, 6'2", workout regularly and hit a ton of balls both at home into a net and at the range as well as play a decent amount.

I swing 99-100 mph with my driver and my typical distances (with roll) generally are:

Driver - 275-285

3 Wood - 250-265

3 Hybrid - 235

4 Hybrid - 205-220

7i - 180-185

Just played in a best ball tourney and won the long drive contest with a 320 yd shot.  Hole was set up for it with a very elevated tee.  We had about 60 yds left to the green.

I will say my averages with my irons are pretty consistent but with the driver it definitely varies.  I can hit one 285 and the next hole, 245-250.  Also depends on the shot I'm trying to play.  If it's a fade then it won't carry or roll as much.  Nevertheless, most of the time I'm left with a wedge in.  I'll hit a PW from 150 out.

I can't break 90 to save my life and I'm actually pretty consistent too.  Yes distance is important but at the end of the day you gotta be able to get the ball in the hole.  At my current level, I don't have a knack for getting the ball in the hole.  Yesterday I shot 92 (I don't give myself mulligans and count every stroke and penalty) and had 9 GIR's.  Four or five were within 10 feet of the pin.  3 of the holes I bogeyed because of a 3-putt.  My short game isn't horrendous but has to get better if I'm going to break this barrier.  I still get 2-3 really bad full swing misses a round which doesn't help either.

I would happily give up 25 yds of distance on every club if I could be a mid to low handicapper. 

Really goes to show you just how tough this game is when you're a well above average ball striker and still can't drop strokes.

So much of you post doesn't jive, I don't even know where to start. 

-You had 9 GIR and can't break 90? You must have the worst short game in history.

-You hit 5 shots inside 10 feet of the pin and can't break 90? Seriously you must have the worst short game in history.

-You say you are consistent, yet can't break 90. If you are consistent...then you should be able to break 90.

-You say your short game "isn't horrendous." How is that possible if you hit 9 GIR, 5 shots inside 10 feet and shot 92?

- Only 2-3 bad misses a round? 

I don't mean to pick on you, but your numbers just don't add up, 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

When I got fitted I told the guy my distances - around 240 carry and 270 roll out (typ)

about 10 minutes in he's chuckling and I ask what's up...  he commented that I was pretty much hitting right on those numbers and was laughing because most of the time people lie about it.  those RARE 300 yard drives are more than balanced by those off center and duffed crap drives....

Of course, another 15 minutes in and that started to drift down - you hit a LOT of shots during a fitting

(I hadn't thought twice, I just wanted the best fit, so I gave him all the info I could)

I don't think people exagerate too much (other than just chest pounding which is harmless).  And "THAT GUY" who you can identify almost immediately.  I feel like I'm a decently long enough hitter, but it seems like I almost always get in a group where someone hits further - sometimes by a lot.  It's just motivation to get better.  We have one young kid in the group - he's a bomber.  I'm left behind in the dust with that kid.

When someone puts some really dumb numbers out there and I find myself skeptical, the first thing I ask is where are they from - much of the time it's like Denver or so - that's worth a lot of yards right off with the thin air.  There's lots of reasons.

29 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

has to be a couple huge 'blow up' holes a round - that'll trash those stats which, otherwise, look decent - as you noted

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

36 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

-You had 9 GIR and can't break 90? You must have the worst short game in history.

-You hit 5 shots inside 10 feet of the pin and can't break 90? Seriously you must have the worst short game in history.

-You say you are consistent, yet can't break 90. If you are consistent...then you should be able to break 90.

-You say your short game "isn't horrendous." How is that possible if you hit 9 GIR, 5 shots inside 10 feet and shot 92?

- Only 2-3 bad misses a round? 

I don't mean to pick on you, but your numbers just don't add up, 

I know.  It's getting to a point where I really think I'm incapable of breaking through.  I really do strike the ball like a low handicapper.  Not sure what else I can do.  But you're right, when I look at it objectively, my short game is pretty bad.  I maybe get up and down once or twice a round.  I have the technique (pitching and chipping), just can't get close enough to the hole and rarely make any big putts over 4 or 5 feet.  And I rarely ever have a comfortable par putt.  Even if I play the hole great, I'll figure out a way to leave myself a 6-footer for par.  Yes my lag putting stinks even though I practice it.  Just something about doing it when it really counts.

A couple of those putts inside of 10 feet I actually hit fat; ball went like a foot and was left with an 8 or 9 footer for par which turns into a bogey.  Throw in a an eight or a seven and a few sixes and you're right at the line.

5 pars on the front nine yesterday, only one on the back 9.

I usually have at least one hole a round where I have to re-tee (I'm not a tour player or collegiate golfer) so yes I'm consistent but within reason) leading to usually a 6 or 7 or even an 8 if I putt really bad.

I don't know, I'm very penal on myself.  If I hit a shot near the green in the trees and I can hit it out I will but if I can't and I move it even a little to be able to swing, I penalize myself.  I never give myself a mulligan off the tee and if I can't find my first tee shot and play my second I take the penalty.  About the only thing I do is allow myself a gimme putt every now and then from 3 feet or shorter.

Trust me, I tossed a few clubs around yesterday after making bogey on some holes where I had a good look at birdie.  And I definitely wanted to quit this game after the round yesterday because it doesn't add up to me either.

In my defense, the course was in pretty bad shape, plenty of mud, bare spots around the green, greens themselves not in good shape...

Edited by hespeler

Personally, I don't care if someone lies about their driving distance because it makes no difference to me what they believe about themselves. If I golf with them and they say something like "Holy crap, I crushed that one 300 yards!" I'll offer to measure it for them with my laser rangefinder so they can find out how far off they might be, but I'm not going to press the issue. I'll just kind of chuckle internally and let them have their fun.

I am by no means the longest player I know. I hit the ball a decent distance, but I know that when I play in tournaments with others my age (back when I played in high school or when I've played in US Open or US Amateur qualifiers) I'm not usually the longest hitter in the foursome. GAME Golf says my average drive is 308 yards measured by GPS, so the true number is probably somewhere in that neighborhood. I've played with, as well as having beat and been beaten by, guys who drive the ball anywhere from 260 yards to 340 yards on average.

Averages are quite simply just a single number creating by combining all the numbers in a data set and dividing by the total number of numbers. Most people will actually hit the ball 5+ yards more or less than the average number as their personal average driving distance because of this fact. If people want to claim to be the outlier it doesn't bother me. The only number I'm concerned with is the one inside the box next to my name on the clubhouse window or wall, preferably written in red ink. 

When I was conducting golf ball fittings, players would get really defiant when they would see the launch monitor results on their distance. 

Now, in all fairness, the distance shown was a little shorter than real-world numbers because it was a mathematical calculation, which doesn't factor in atmospheric conditions like wind, humidity, elevation from sea level, plus other variables like southern baked fairways.  So the total distance on the launch monitor was about 12 yds shorter than actual, which I would explain before showing the player any numbers, but still...I would get cussed out on occasion and told my $45,000 launch monitor was wrong because they know they hit their driver 280 yds, not the 220 yds my computer showed.  Even with the 12 yds added on, they were way off.

This is some data from a page Bridgestone used to have on their website called "The Boom Club".  It was a page that had the data from your latest ball fitting, plus you could record your scores and other stuff.  This screenshot is how each player stacks up against a Tour Pro, and the average of all the other players who have been through a fitting.  It speaks for itself!

399399389_boomclub_4a.png.e4b82fe75011a3fc8a4655d0ceee5ebb.png

• Upvote 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

(edited)
5 hours ago, DrMJG said:

If the OP plays primarily (only) in Asia, where a typical round of golf costs in the high $200, his joy may come more from long distance driving than the actual game. I saw a lot of this when I lived in Singapore, where many simply went to driving ranges and called that "golf" s opposed to the USA where we call it practice.

Misinformation. They goto something called "Screen Golf" for rounds which costs $10-15.

I've played both in America and Asia. 

5 hours ago, MacDutch said:

@AltGolfer only shorthitters get pissed of by people claiming to hit it far. 

Says the old dude.. don't break your hips trying to pass me. 🤣

11 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

When I was conducting golf ball fittings, players would get really defiant when they would see the launch monitor results on their distance. 

Now, in all fairness, the distance shown was a little shorter than real-world numbers because it was a mathematical calculation, which doesn't factor in atmospheric conditions like wind, humidity, elevation from sea level, plus other variables like southern baked fairways.  So the total distance on the launch monitor was about 12 yds shorter than actual, which I would explain before showing the player any numbers, but still...I would get cussed out on occasion and told my $45,000 launch monitor was wrong because they know they hit their driver 280 yds, not the 220 yds my computer showed.  Even with the 12 yds added on, they were way off.

This is some data from a page Bridgestone used to have on their website called "The Boom Club".  It was a page that had the data from your latest ball fitting, plus you could record your scores and other stuff.  This screenshot is how each player stacks up against a Tour Pro, and the average of all the other players who have been through a fitting.  It speaks for itself!

399399389_boomclub_4a.png.e4b82fe75011a3fc8a4655d0ceee5ebb.png

Funny enough my father is the exact same way... He constantly claims these monitors are not working properly and no way he only hits 210 yards.

5 minutes ago, AltGolfer said:

Misinformation. They goto something called "Screen Golf" for rounds which costs $10-15.

Ranges are exactly what they are for... Just practicing, but i'll admit i rarely go play. I rather just goto the range.

I've played both in America and Asia. 

Says the old dude.. don't break your hips trying to pass me. 🤣

Funny enough my father is the exact same way... He constantly claims these monitors are not working properly and no way he only hits 210 yards.

Edited by AltGolfer

(edited)
7 hours ago, hespeler said:

Driver - 275-285

3 Wood - 250-265

3 Hybrid - 235

4 Hybrid - 205-220

7i - 180-185

No way your hitting 275-285 with a swing speed of 100mph.. Statistically its not even possible even with the perfect condition and perfect smash factor(as linked below).

I swing exactly 99-102mph myself and i average 250-260 off the tee with carry.

My 3 wood goes around 230-240.

I smell more bullshit. *roll eyes*

Also hitting 320 requires atleast a 120 mph clubhead speed and you can't just crank out 20mph+ out of nowhere smh

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/589535-theoretical-maximum-distance-for-100-mph-club-head-speed/page__st__30

Edited by AltGolfer

11 minutes ago, AltGolfer said:

No way your hitting 275-285 with a swing speed of 100mph.. Statistically its not even possible even with the perfect condition and perfect smash factor(as linked below).

He said with roll. In the link you provided, Tom Wishon wrote that a 105 mph swing speed can achieve 240-250 yard carry, that could easily end up being 275-285 depending on conditions.

14 minutes ago, AltGolfer said:

Also hitting 320 requires atleast a 120 mph clubhead speed

No, it doesn't. You could be hitting downhill, or on dry fairways, or hit the back of a mound and get a forward kick. There are a number of possible ways to hit a 320 yard shot with only 250 yards of carry.

For a guy who got all worked up over somebody on the internet claiming you don't hit as far as you do, you sure seem to enjoy doing the exact same thing to other people. Empathy not really your strong suit, is it?

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)
10 minutes ago, billchao said:

He said with roll. In the link you provided, Tom Wishon wrote that a 105 mph swing speed can achieve 240-250 yard carry, that could easily end up being 275-285 depending on conditions.

No, it doesn't. You could be hitting downhill, or on dry fairways, or hit the back of a mound and get a forward kick. There are a number of possible ways to hit a 320 yard shot with only 250 yards of carry.

For a guy who got all worked up over somebody on the internet claiming you don't hit as far as you do, you sure seem to enjoy doing the exact same thing to other people. Empathy not really your strong suit, is it?

You do realize 100 is not 105? Take a gander at the link again.. they ran it through simulation and max carry for a 100 mph swing with perfect smash factor is 235. Not sure why your disagreeing when the whole conversation in the link agrees with me. Also Screen golf is insanely popular here which i goto weekly i know my distances and my clubhead speed. He's not hitting anywhere near those numbers. Keep day dreaming.

Might as well say i hit 500 yards since i only play downhill 50 mph behind my back only hitting cart paths.

From now on i shall not be known as AltGolfer but by Mr. 500 and i'll tell them exactly what you stated if someone questions my drives...  I can't lose! Win Win Situation baby!

Edited by AltGolfer

(edited)
11 minutes ago, AltGolfer said:

You do realize 100 is not 105? Take a gander at the link again.. they ran it through simulation and max carry for a 100 mph swing with perfect smash factor is 235. Not sure why your disagreeing when the whole conversation in the link agrees with me. Also Screen golf is insanely popular here which i goto weekly i know my distances and my clubhead speed. He's not hitting anywhere near those numbers. Keep day dreaming.

Might as well say i hit 500 yards since i only play downhill 50 mph behind my back only hitting cart paths.

From now on i shall not be known as AltGolfer but by Mr. 500 and i'll tell them exactly what you stated if someone questions my drives...  I can't lose! Win Win Situation baby!

One more thing. He swings exactly at 105 MPH he only hit it 265, but that guy who swings 5 mph slower is bombing it pass this guy 20+ yards give me a break 😆

Edited by AltGolfer

6 minutes ago, AltGolfer said:

You do realize 100 is not 105?

And? You're saying @hespeler didn't hit a 320 yard drive in very favorable conditions just because you never have?

Just now, AltGolfer said:

One more thing. He swings exactly at 105 MPH he only hit it 265, but that guy who swings 5 mph slower with around my speed is hitting 25 yards further than me? Okay.

That's not a golf course.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

And? You're saying @hespeler didn't hit a 320 yard drive in very favorable conditions just because you never have?

That's not a golf course.

So everyone is lying.. that thread full of people are lying, im lying and that video is a lie... yes lets just take his word for it.

You win.

13 minutes ago, AltGolfer said:

So everyone is lying.. that thread full of people are lying, im lying and that video is a lie... yes lets just take his word for it.

Or, you know, you don't know everything about people you've never met on the internet before. But whether @hespeler averages what he claims isn't even the point. Your evidence is a guy hitting a ball on a simulator? Have you ever seen what happens to a ball when the fairway is 60' below the tee box and sloping away from it? Hell, it doesn't even have to be that extreme. I play a course regularly where the 5th hole has a big hill in the middle of the fairway that's about 30' above the rest of the hole. All you need to do on that hole is carry it about 240 to catch the backside of the hill, the ball will kick and roll out to 280-310.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

@billchao, you don't even need that stuff. Here's a shot hit with a 100 MPH clubhead speed on flat ground with no wind:

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 9.25.18 PM.png

306.8 yards. 100 MPH clubhead speed.

But hey, that's just science. @AltGolfer is talking about a simulator. 😛

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!