IGNORED

New golfer looking for clubs

Lacrosseboss18
Note: This thread is 2052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi

Im a new golfer looking to purchase my first set of clubs. I’ve played a few rounds over the years but would consider myself brand new to the sport. 

Looking for advice if I should purchase a cheap set of clubs and get started or should I invest in a nice quality set. 

Was briefly looking at 

Callaway Men's Strata Complete Golf Set like $220.00

vs 

Taylormade M4 set considerably more expensive  

or should I consider a different set of clubs  

My goal is to start playing at least once a week and go to the driving range as often as I can. I work down the block from a driving range. my Neighbor is a Jr golf pro at my local course so I’ll take advantage of that and have private lessons on he front lawn 🙂

Thanks

joe

You’re best move is a quality set that is used. Don’t go with the Strata. Those ‘full sets’ $220 are just not worth it. If your budget allows TaylorMade new...well have at it. Otherwise you’ll find great used sets of quality irons without trouble.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Greetings Joe.  Were I you I'd ask that neighbor of mine if he knew anyone who had a spare set, or two, collecting dust.  You may be able to pick up a fairly decent set for 80 to 100 bucks.  It is certainly worth asking.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Used is a good option as many others have said. If you really want new there plenty of online equipment dealers that have new stuff from 1, 2 and even three years old that are really inexpensive. That is how I usually buy stuff.

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Also check MyGolfSpy for some older unbiased reviews as well as Maltby's Playability Index for clubs that may be easier to hit based on technical data. Then, you can check a local shop or eBay to see if you like them. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

16 hours ago, Lacrosseboss18 said:

Callaway Men's Strata Complete Golf Set like $220.00

vs 

Taylormade M4 set considerably more expensive  

You've listed two opposite ends of the spectrum here.  As others have mentioned, a solid used set would be your best options.  Sets get considerably cheaper as the newer versions come out so you can find great clubs in good shape for very reasonable prices.  Good thought on swinging by a shop, try some stuff out and see what you like.  Free lawn lessons sound nice, but try to get some lessons hitting balls soon after, even if they aren't free.  It's money well spent.  Good luck!

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

When I started, I bought a Wilson Profile set for just under $200.

In my opinion, it was well worth it. It got me out on the course and I was able to learn how to play golf. I have since upgraded my set, but that wasn't necessary - I could have played with that set happily for years.

Mark Crossfield does a review on the Wilson X31 box set here.

To my knowledge, this is the UK equivalent to the 'Wilson Profile' set available here in the US.

He basically says these are plenty good enough to get around the course with -and- he doesn't notice all that much of a difference in performance or score.

Just something to think about.

Edited by SPJr

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

If you are trying to keep the initial cost down then i'd suggest browsing that popular online auctions site for bargains. I buy a lot from them so my advice would be to stay away from the ads offering brand new TM, Titleist etc. irons for the price of a starter set (often a red flag) and look for used clubs that are older being, sold either by a golf retailer (they often sell used stock via Ebay to cut overhead costs) or at the very least read the reviews of the seller.

Other options are dedicated second hand golf retailers. We have the likes of Golfbidder over here. These guys only buy from PGA professionals/Pro shops so there is less chance that fakes make it through. As they have bigger overheads the prices can be higher.

If you are new to golf its a good idea not to spend too much until you are sure it is the sport for you.

• Upvote 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

3 minutes ago, RussUK said:

If you are new to golf its a good idea not to spend too much until you are sure it is the sport for you.

I definitely agree with this.

Golf can frustrate the heck out of anyone, and new players often have a rough time at the start.  Unless you really think that you are all in avoid the expensive clubs and go find a decent, used set.

I've personally had decent luck on Craigslist, with people selling their older clubs after upgrading.

24 minutes ago, RussUK said:

This, of course, is a really good point.

However, in order to get the best price on a used set of clubs, this often means buying pieces (irons, woods, wedges, bag) seperately and piecing the set together. This very well may not be a good idea for someone who hasn't played golf before.

I bought clubs that were too close in loft, the wrong shaft flex, and you name it before I figured things out.

As far as the - "don't waste your time on something that doesn't say Titleist, Callaway, Taylormade, Ping" lot. I don't buy into that.

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybridstaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GWcobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges:wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Puttertaylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

I bought a Wilson box set for $2-300 when I first started.  When I hit the ball well, it flew nicely and the clubs never broke.  I think it turned out to be the right decision.

If you get the Strata you will have all the clubs you need and they will be the right design for a beginner.  If you buy used you will have to assemble a set piecemeal and probably not be experienced enough to do a good job.

You might want to throw out your Stratas in a year or two for a nicer set, and they won’t have much resale value, but I still think you’ll be better if financially and they’ll work just fine.

27 minutes ago, allenc said:

I bought a Wilson box set for $2-300 when I first started.  When I hit the ball well, it flew nicely and the clubs never broke.  I think it turned out to be the right decision.

If you get the Strata you will have all the clubs you need and they will be the right design for a beginner.  If you buy used you will have to assemble a set piecemeal and probably not be experienced enough to do a good job.

You might want to throw out your Stratas in a year or two for a nicer set, and they won’t have much resale value, but I still think you’ll be better if financially and they’ll work just fine.

I agree with most of this. A box set right now is the way to go. Since you've only...

18 hours ago, Lacrosseboss18 said:

played a few rounds over the years

When you go the used route, you have to put everything together. You have to figure out which clubs to have. The rule is up to 14, but it doesn't mean you have to have 14 clubs in your bag.

I did this for my son-in-law last year, piecing together a good used set. Started out a with a TaylorMade Rocketballz 10.5 driver in excellent condition from letgo, then added a few Taylormade Aeroburner fairway woods and hybrids also in excellent or very good condition from Global Golf. Just on those clubs, I spent over $250 of my $400 budget and I still needed irons, wedge(s), a putter and bag. 

By going with a box set, you'll have everything you'll need from the start. This year when my wife wanted to learn the game, this is what I did. A Strata set. She has everything she needs now, and we can upgrade here and there as needed. 

But as you upgrade, don't throw them away. My son-and-law's first irons were a set of Wilson ProStaff AD's circa 2002 with graphite shafts which I bought at the thrift store for a $1 a club. After I regripped them, he hit those last summer and I later sold them for $50. 

Note: This thread is 2052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!