iacas

2019 Newport Cup at The Arroyo Club, Sponsored by VUGA

118 posts / 14673 viewsLast Reply

24 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Ah, I knew it. I'm a moron. Thanks for the instruction, Dave

Luckily, this wasn’t the test!😜

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

7 hours ago, criley4way said:

I may have to move back to CA since there is WAY less competition in the west.

Congratulations and good luck

I'm interested to see the actual dates, I'm looking at going to Vegas for a weekend there is a charity outing that I'd like to get to and I'm not ready for playing in the Cup but I'm thinking I might stop in and catch some of the action - if it overlaps. 

8 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm interested to see the actual dates, I'm looking at going to Vegas for a weekend there is a charity outing that I'd like to get to and I'm not ready for playing in the Cup but I'm thinking I might stop in and catch some of the action - if it overlaps. 

Hmmm, are spectators allowed?  I won't qualify for it at this point, and that realization adds motivation for me to get to single digits in the next 18 months so I can try to qualify for the 2021 event.  

On the bright side, in the meantime it would appear I've definitely managed to sandbag my handicap appropriately. I play in a weekly golf league through work and haven't had time for any other golf (or really even time to warm up since tee times start at 4), so I'm currently sitting pretty at a 9-hole handicap of 4.24. Maybe an 8.5 handicap for me would be enough for me to contribute to the inevitable dominating victory for red this year?

6 hours ago, criley4way said:

Anything we can do to help?

Not really, no. We're waiting on the course to reply to our email(s).

4 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I believe we're looking at October 24-26.

4 hours ago, Shindig said:

Hmmm, are spectators allowed?  I won't qualify for it at this point, and that realization adds motivation for me to get to single digits in the next 18 months so I can try to qualify for the 2021 event.  

Yes. Absolutely.

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

On the bright side, in the meantime it would appear I've definitely managed to sandbag my handicap appropriately. I play in a weekly golf league through work and haven't had time for any other golf (or really even time to warm up since tee times start at 4), so I'm currently sitting pretty at a 9-hole handicap of 4.24. Maybe an 8.5 handicap for me would be enough for me to contribute to the inevitable dominating victory for red this year?

I'd anticipate that the Committee would have the authority to adjust such a blatantly bogus handicap to something more appropriate, like scratch.:whistle:

6 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'd anticipate that the Committee would have the authority to adjust such a blatantly bogus handicap to something more appropriate, like scratch.:whistle:

Maybe we can come up with a special badge for @Pretzel. Something that looks like this:

91276O+g52L._SX425_.jpg

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

I'd be happy to audit Pretzel's handicap in person. I'm sure that would satisfy everybody.

Western sympathizer!    Fake news!

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

I'd be happy to audit Pretzel's handicap in person. I'm sure that would satisfy everybody.

My league is on Tuesday nights, and today I was 2 under through 3 holes. I had to quickly backtrack and keep that handicap nice and high though, so I made sure to play 4 over for the last 6 to get back to +2. Really though I've just been struggling, for some reason the last month or so I have been struggling to stop lifting out of shots so I'll absolutely duff one now and again while catching most shots 1-2 grooves thin. Maybe I need to start taping a bowling ball to my head so I can't lift up 😁

About all @DeadMan would see is me hitting a 4-iron about knee high when I'm trying to go for the green in two on par 5's.

I intend to post an update to this later tonight or tomorrow.

We're also going to slightly expand the range of eligibility up to those with a handicap index of 12.x. Your odds of being chosen are lower than that of someone with a 3.4 index or whatever, but they're not 0.

Add the badge to your profile if you'd like to be considered for the Newport Cup, and subscribe to this topic.

October 24-26 are the competition dates.

2 minutes ago, criley4way said:

Sounds like a great time

The former participants will tell you that it's one of the best.