Sign in to follow this  
Hncjc

Interesting Results From Using Our Club's Simulator

29 posts / 5298 viewsLast Reply

Our club just put in a simulator.  Last Wednesday, it was pretty cold outside so I reserved the simulator just to practice hitting balls and getting ready for the season.  I noticed that on some, but not all clubs I was hitting the ball 5-10 yards shorter than I normally do. I am a senior (63) with a moderate swing speed - drive the ball about 220-230.  So, I pulled out a couple of my own golf balls with the clubs I was seeing going short, and I hit the ball my normal distance.  My golf ball was a Srixon Q Star Tour.  Pretty new balls.  The practice balls provided by the club for use in the simulator were Pro V1s - not sure how old they were.  Very eye opening for me. 

I am thinking about buying sleeves of a few balls and trying them out the Q Star Tour and against each other in the simulator looking at distance and (for short irons) spin. Thinking about trying it with a wood, a seven iron and a wedge.  I was thinking that one ball should be the Callaway Supersoft.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Hncjc said:

Thinking about trying it with a wood, a seven iron and a wedge.  I was thinking that one ball should be the Callaway Supersoft.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

I will always recommend Snell My Tour Ball. It's basically a Pro-V but at a significant discount.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, saevel25 said:

I will always recommend Snell My Tour Ball. It's basically a Pro-V but at a significant discount.

Thanks for the input.  But, if it is basically a Pro V1 and the Pro V1 does not work well for me, will the Snell work well for me?

26 minutes ago, Hncjc said:

Thanks for the input.  But, if it is basically a Pro V1 and the Pro V1 does not work well for me, will the Snell work well for me?

Not sure. As you said, the golf balls could have been old. It could be that you were getting too much spin from the Pro-V's.

16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

. It could be that you were getting too much spin from the Pro-V's.

That was my thought too.

It should be easy to see in the simulator numbers...

Edited by David in FL

3 hours ago, Hncjc said:

Our club just put in a simulator.  Last Wednesday, it was pretty cold outside so I reserved the simulator just to practice hitting balls and getting ready for the season.  I noticed that on some, but not all clubs I was hitting the ball 5-10 yards shorter than I normally do. I am a senior (63) with a moderate swing speed - drive the ball about 220-230.  So, I pulled out a couple of my own golf balls with the clubs I was seeing going short, and I hit the ball my normal distance.  My golf ball was a Srixon Q Star Tour.  Pretty new balls.  The practice balls provided by the club for use in the simulator were Pro V1s - not sure how old they were.  Very eye opening for me. 

I am thinking about buying sleeves of a few balls and trying them out the Q Star Tour and against each other in the simulator looking at distance and (for short irons) spin. Thinking about trying it with a wood, a seven iron and a wedge.  I was thinking that one ball should be the Callaway Supersoft.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

This is something everyone should pay attention to.   ProV1's are high compression golf balls.  if your swing speed is not fast enough, you wont compress them enough to get the spring effect.  Q-Star tours are medium compression.  the most expensive balls are not always the best performing balls for everyone. 

8 minutes ago, lastings said:

This is something everyone should pay attention to.   ProV1's are high compression golf balls.  if your swing speed is not fast enough, you wont compress them enough to get the spring effect.  Q-Star tours are medium compression.  the most expensive balls are not always the best performing balls for everyone. 

Higher compression balls rebound with more ball speed. It's a myth about the "if you don't swing fast enough to compress the ball."

Also, balls don't really compress at all. They deform.

Are you certain your strike was the same?  To blame the ball seems a stretch.  I mean, you said "some but not all."  Strikes can vary greatly.  To me, that's a bigger tell than the ball.  

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Higher compression balls rebound with more ball speed. It's a myth about the "if you don't swing fast enough to compress the ball."

Also, balls don't really compress at all. They deform.

Interesting.   This article from Golfweek suggests different.   

fotolia_4107927_XS.jpg

Golf ball technology has improved consistent with the increased capability of golf clubs and shafts over the past decade. One of the important factors to consider when choosing a golf ball is picking the right compression rating...

so many myths out there.   hard to know what is and isn't true anymore.  

20 minutes ago, lastings said:

Interesting.   This article from Golfweek suggests different.   

fotolia_4107927_XS.jpg

Golf ball technology has improved consistent with the increased capability of golf clubs and shafts over the past decade. One of the important factors to consider when choosing a golf ball is picking the right compression rating...

so many myths out there.   hard to know what is and isn't true anymore.  

That article is bunk.

The simple truths:

• PGA Tour players play golf balls of all sorts of compression ratings.
  • Generally speaking, a higher compression = higher ball speed due to less energy lost in deformation.

Some players prefer softer compression balls because the spin/speed/launch characteristics are a better fit for them, but again… higher compression almost always = higher ball speed.

37 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Are you certain your strike was the same?  To blame the ball seems a stretch.  I mean, you said "some but not all."  Strikes can vary greatly.  To me, that's a bigger tell than the ball.  

It was not just one strike with either ball.  It was probably 10 or more per club with the Pro V1 and 3-4 per club with the Srixon because of what you are describing.  Still could be the strike, but odds are less.

Picking a golf ball is not always about distance.  Ideally work your way from green to tee when choosing.  What ball you need around a green is perhaps more important than losing 5 yards off the tee.  Also, pick a ball according to your swing characteristics (spin rate, how much side spin you want/don't want, launch angle etc).For example, I personally prefer a ball like the Titleist NXT to the Pro V1.  It spins less of the clubs, meaning I have less risk of the ball slicing a greater amount.  Plus, I am not really looking for a ball to spin backwards with a wedge.  I ideally want it to drop and stop with a well hit wedge

I found that with my 92-95 mph driver speed pro v1 is about the shortest ball I have played. I hit my best drives with Wilson Duo soft.

4 hours ago, tinker said:

I found that with my 92-95 mph driver speed pro v1 is about the shortest ball I have played. I hit my best drives with Wilson Duo soft.

thanks

On 3/25/2019 at 11:34 AM, iacas said:

That article is bunk.

The simple truths:

• PGA Tour players play golf balls of all sorts of compression ratings.
  • Generally speaking, a higher compression = higher ball speed due to less energy lost in deformation.

Some players prefer softer compression balls because the spin/speed/launch characteristics are a better fit for them, but again… higher compression almost always = higher ball speed.

Would you recommend lower compression golf balls for younger juniors less than 10 years old? Wilson Duo, Maxfli SoftFli or Callaway Super Soft and others below 60 compression, or does it not really matter. I'm sure you work with older juniors, at what age or ability would you move them into a higher compression ball? Thanks for your recommendations.

Lower compression balls are good for high swing speeds as well. I can get into the 130's with my driver but with alot of spin. I play duo softs and supersofts and they help a good bit. Every ball seems to go similar distance but I prefer the straighter flight that I get from a low compression ball. The OP may already be playing the perfect ball for him. Be I interested to see how other balls work out for you.

8 hours ago, BogeySwine said:

Would you recommend lower compression golf balls for younger juniors less than 10 years old?

As with anything… "get fit." It depends on what works best with anyone's unique launch conditions, how they like to play their short game, etc.

My daughter has used medium compression balls - slightly on the higher side than the lower side. Some guys with higher swing speeds are better fits for lower compression balls.

I'd NEVER trust a ProV1 (or any ball) just haphazardly laying around. Those things have been topped and bounced off hard enough surfaces indoors to alter the performance