Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hncjc

Interesting Results From Using Our Club's Simulator

29 posts / 5298 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Our club just put in a simulator.  Last Wednesday, it was pretty cold outside so I reserved the simulator just to practice hitting balls and getting ready for the season.  I noticed that on some, but not all clubs I was hitting the ball 5-10 yards shorter than I normally do. I am a senior (63) with a moderate swing speed - drive the ball about 220-230.  So, I pulled out a couple of my own golf balls with the clubs I was seeing going short, and I hit the ball my normal distance.  My golf ball was a Srixon Q Star Tour.  Pretty new balls.  The practice balls provided by the club for use in the simulator were Pro V1s - not sure how old they were.  Very eye opening for me. 

I am thinking about buying sleeves of a few balls and trying them out the Q Star Tour and against each other in the simulator looking at distance and (for short irons) spin. Thinking about trying it with a wood, a seven iron and a wedge.  I was thinking that one ball should be the Callaway Supersoft.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Hncjc said:

Thinking about trying it with a wood, a seven iron and a wedge.  I was thinking that one ball should be the Callaway Supersoft.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

I will always recommend Snell My Tour Ball. It's basically a Pro-V but at a significant discount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, saevel25 said:

I will always recommend Snell My Tour Ball. It's basically a Pro-V but at a significant discount.

Thanks for the input.  But, if it is basically a Pro V1 and the Pro V1 does not work well for me, will the Snell work well for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Hncjc said:

Thanks for the input.  But, if it is basically a Pro V1 and the Pro V1 does not work well for me, will the Snell work well for me?

Not sure. As you said, the golf balls could have been old. It could be that you were getting too much spin from the Pro-V's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

. It could be that you were getting too much spin from the Pro-V's.

That was my thought too.

It should be easy to see in the simulator numbers...

Edited by David in FL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Hncjc said:

Our club just put in a simulator.  Last Wednesday, it was pretty cold outside so I reserved the simulator just to practice hitting balls and getting ready for the season.  I noticed that on some, but not all clubs I was hitting the ball 5-10 yards shorter than I normally do. I am a senior (63) with a moderate swing speed - drive the ball about 220-230.  So, I pulled out a couple of my own golf balls with the clubs I was seeing going short, and I hit the ball my normal distance.  My golf ball was a Srixon Q Star Tour.  Pretty new balls.  The practice balls provided by the club for use in the simulator were Pro V1s - not sure how old they were.  Very eye opening for me. 

I am thinking about buying sleeves of a few balls and trying them out the Q Star Tour and against each other in the simulator looking at distance and (for short irons) spin. Thinking about trying it with a wood, a seven iron and a wedge.  I was thinking that one ball should be the Callaway Supersoft.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks.

This is something everyone should pay attention to.   ProV1's are high compression golf balls.  if your swing speed is not fast enough, you wont compress them enough to get the spring effect.  Q-Star tours are medium compression.  the most expensive balls are not always the best performing balls for everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, lastings said:

This is something everyone should pay attention to.   ProV1's are high compression golf balls.  if your swing speed is not fast enough, you wont compress them enough to get the spring effect.  Q-Star tours are medium compression.  the most expensive balls are not always the best performing balls for everyone. 

Higher compression balls rebound with more ball speed. It's a myth about the "if you don't swing fast enough to compress the ball."

Also, balls don't really compress at all. They deform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are you certain your strike was the same?  To blame the ball seems a stretch.  I mean, you said "some but not all."  Strikes can vary greatly.  To me, that's a bigger tell than the ball.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Higher compression balls rebound with more ball speed. It's a myth about the "if you don't swing fast enough to compress the ball."

Also, balls don't really compress at all. They deform.

Interesting.   This article from Golfweek suggests different.   

fotolia_4107927_XS.jpg

Golf ball technology has improved consistent with the increased capability of golf clubs and shafts over the past decade. One of the important factors to consider when choosing a golf ball is picking the right compression rating...

 

so many myths out there.   hard to know what is and isn't true anymore.  

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, lastings said:

Interesting.   This article from Golfweek suggests different.   

fotolia_4107927_XS.jpg

Golf ball technology has improved consistent with the increased capability of golf clubs and shafts over the past decade. One of the important factors to consider when choosing a golf ball is picking the right compression rating...

 

so many myths out there.   hard to know what is and isn't true anymore.  

That article is bunk.

The simple truths:

  • PGA Tour players play golf balls of all sorts of compression ratings.
  • Generally speaking, a higher compression = higher ball speed due to less energy lost in deformation.

Some players prefer softer compression balls because the spin/speed/launch characteristics are a better fit for them, but again… higher compression almost always = higher ball speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

37 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Are you certain your strike was the same?  To blame the ball seems a stretch.  I mean, you said "some but not all."  Strikes can vary greatly.  To me, that's a bigger tell than the ball.  

It was not just one strike with either ball.  It was probably 10 or more per club with the Pro V1 and 3-4 per club with the Srixon because of what you are describing.  Still could be the strike, but odds are less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picking a golf ball is not always about distance.  Ideally work your way from green to tee when choosing.  What ball you need around a green is perhaps more important than losing 5 yards off the tee.  Also, pick a ball according to your swing characteristics (spin rate, how much side spin you want/don't want, launch angle etc).For example, I personally prefer a ball like the Titleist NXT to the Pro V1.  It spins less of the clubs, meaning I have less risk of the ball slicing a greater amount.  Plus, I am not really looking for a ball to spin backwards with a wedge.  I ideally want it to drop and stop with a well hit wedge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found that with my 92-95 mph driver speed pro v1 is about the shortest ball I have played. I hit my best drives with Wilson Duo soft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, tinker said:

I found that with my 92-95 mph driver speed pro v1 is about the shortest ball I have played. I hit my best drives with Wilson Duo soft.

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2019 at 11:34 AM, iacas said:

That article is bunk.

The simple truths:

  • PGA Tour players play golf balls of all sorts of compression ratings.
  • Generally speaking, a higher compression = higher ball speed due to less energy lost in deformation.

Some players prefer softer compression balls because the spin/speed/launch characteristics are a better fit for them, but again… higher compression almost always = higher ball speed.

Would you recommend lower compression golf balls for younger juniors less than 10 years old? Wilson Duo, Maxfli SoftFli or Callaway Super Soft and others below 60 compression, or does it not really matter. I'm sure you work with older juniors, at what age or ability would you move them into a higher compression ball? Thanks for your recommendations.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lower compression balls are good for high swing speeds as well. I can get into the 130's with my driver but with alot of spin. I play duo softs and supersofts and they help a good bit. Every ball seems to go similar distance but I prefer the straighter flight that I get from a low compression ball. The OP may already be playing the perfect ball for him. Be I interested to see how other balls work out for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BogeySwine said:

Would you recommend lower compression golf balls for younger juniors less than 10 years old?

As with anything… "get fit." It depends on what works best with anyone's unique launch conditions, how they like to play their short game, etc.

My daughter has used medium compression balls - slightly on the higher side than the lower side. Some guys with higher swing speeds are better fits for lower compression balls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd NEVER trust a ProV1 (or any ball) just haphazardly laying around. Those things have been topped and bounced off hard enough surfaces indoors to alter the performance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • TST Affiliates

    SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
  • Posts

    • Hmm, lots of theories that aren't that different than what he is stating. Martin Ayers called his "bow and crossbow". Martin also loved long hard to stay focused on youtube videos. (I admit to skipping around on this one) He is wrong when he says it is on plane here That clubface is WIDE open and unless he compensates, a slice, push, mostly bad things will happen. His lead wrist is in cupped. Yuck! The golf swing has so many things going on. Much of what he is saying is good stuff, however, I think other instructors do a better job simplifying it. Shorter videos that taken as a whole are better for consumption.
    • FFS. No sign of the same here in England.
    • I can do 4 days max. I am assuming it won't affect anyone else's plans.  
    • Personally I'm leaning towards these options, but am open to what everyone else wants.  We probably want to try this during the week if were booking SV tee times 30 days out. I am thinking we start golfing maybe on Monday the 19th or Tuesday the 20th.  Again, I am very open to discussion on all of this. 1. Mammoth or SV and the Sand Box $290 2. Mammoth or SV and the Sand Box $290 3. Mammoth or SV and the Sand Box $290  4. Sentry World ($155) or Mammoth or SV and the Sand Box ($290) 5. Lawsonia ($120) or Erin Hills($320) - If you would be doing this on the way out it would be recommended to maybe fly out of Milwaukee. So, costs: The 4 days of golf with Sentry world would be roughly $1025 for the golf. All 4 days all at SV would be $1160 5 days with Lawsonia $1145. 5 days with Erin hills or Whistling to something else you would want to do...have fun and good on you for having limitless income. A word of advice for Whistling and Erin, Whistling requires a caddy i believe, so your probably looking at ($750) and Erin has so many blind shots that you likely need one.   If someone wants to just golf the first three days, that is an option too.  @Slim_Pivot I apologize I was a bit low maybe on my initial calculations.  I was originally thinking of 3-4 days instead of 4-5 days. I am all for as much golf as possible though.      
    • Sorry for the silly-long delay in replying! The course closed in October 2016. I've never been back to the park. Our club (Braeside GC) survived after moving to Selsdon Golf Course and we're doing pretty well, except for the women's section which has dwindled badly. The other club (Beckenham GC) disappeared after moving/merging to somewhere else that wouldn't allow to retain their identity (I think they only had around 10 active members).
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. billymo2
      billymo2
      (28 years old)
    2. bostonboy9416
      bostonboy9416
      (20 years old)
    3. kpaulhus
      kpaulhus
      (33 years old)
    4. StuBo84
      StuBo84
      (36 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...