IGNORED

Mats vs. Grass at Practice Range

drocpdp
Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you hit off the grass or mats when you go to the range?

• Always off the GRASS - I want realistic conditions
    • Always off the GRASS - This is all my range offers
    • Always off the MATS - It's cheaper
    • Always off the MATS - I like the feel of the mat
    • Always off the MATS - I don't want to clean my clubs when i'm done
    • Always off the MATS - This is all my range offers
    • I switch it up but mostly off the GRASS
    • I switch it up and it's 50/50
    • I switch it up but mostly off the MATS
    • It doesn't mater to me at all. I have no preference

I'm lucky to have a great practice facility 15 minutes from my house. It has a chipping green, a nice putting only green, and a green with a sand trap; in addition to a driving range with no mats. I get unlimited use of the practice facility and get to hit unlimited range balls for $29 a month. I play every day it's not raining, and even when it is I can usually get some practice in! -North Florida

The driving range has a bunker you can hit out of onto the driving range, too.

Depends on the time of year, I hit balls this weekend and had to use the mats, the grass portion of the range is not open yet.  In late summer, the grass is gone from the range so I will have to use the mats, unless I want to practice hitting from hardpan!

Never understood why all the golf courses in the Midwest have gone to Zoysia or Bermuda fairways but all the driving ranges still insist on having bent grass that is stressed and gone by mid July.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I prefer grass because I can hit my forgings (softer steel is easier to bend on unforgiving mats).

When I'm on a mat, I bring my Pings.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Grass is my number 1 option; if available of course.

In the winter, I am forced to hit off of the mats inside the golf domes we have here in Toronto.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Grass if possible as it gives me a better idea on the low point of my swing, however the only grass rang eI know of near here (Wimbledon, UK) is a good 30 mins drive. :(

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Well I should have read a little more before I voted--voted 50/50.

It is not by choice though. I prefer grass for the most part, but hit the mats when the grass is in bad condition.  The mats at my range are fairly thick, so the lie is perfect, and I will sometimes use them if I am working on something to take a variable out of the equation. The range allows it, so I always move off the mat if I am using a tee.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I prefer grass because I can hit my forgings (softer steel is easier to bend on unforgiving mats).

When I'm on a mat, I bring my Pings.

I should add, that I think unforgiving mats led to golfer's elbow for me ... or tendonitis. The mats are shocking to the arms. After rest and a change to Aerotech Steelfibers, I recovered and have since gone to Nippons without pain. But I stay on grass, rarely on mats. In fact, for the last 3 years, I've only been on a mat for lessons inside

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I hit only off mats, as the range close to me is all mats.  But the mats are pretty good there, and I've never understood why everyone hates them so much.  I've found them excellent practice for fairway shots.

Though I'm super jealous of you guys who can practice on the course.  I can't afford membership or green fees at any courses where that would be an option, but I'd only do that if I had the option.  Some day...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I like hitting off grass and will try at all costs.  I'll hit of the mats if I have to, but the mats just feel weird when I hit off them.

In My Bag:
Driver: :cleveland:  Hi-Bore XLS
Irons: :cleveland:  CCi 3i-PW
Wedges: :nike:  VR V-Rev Cast Black-Satin
Putter: :ping:  IC 20-10A

Thanks to all the snow, I'll probably have to wait until about April-May until grass opens up at the ranges I go to. One of the public courses I play at gives you free practice balls at a very nice range area, so I usually go there before I play. I really prefer grass, I really like to make sure I'm truly warmed up before I go to the course.

Grass only unless I'm hitting the ball off a tee.  I feel like I make way to good of contact off the mat even if it doesn't feel like that good of a swing.  like the club face bounces and glides under the ball insead of hitting the grass and grabbing.

I use grass until it goes dormant and then you have to use the mats.  The hitting area at my course can only hold 5 golfers max at a time.  I have been interested in taking a look at your brush caddy to.

C'ya

Originally Posted by TalkingRock

I use grass until it goes dormant and then you have to use the mats.  The hitting area at my course can only hold 5 golfers max at a time.  I have been interested in taking a look at your brush caddy to.

C'ya

T-Rock, If you're interested in a Brush Caddy, now's the time to get one.  I've got a promotion going on right now for $5 off for all The Sand Trap members.  Just type in “TST2011” at checkout and you're set.

• 1 year later...

I am assuming that most ranges just have mats and that this is where most people practice...I am lucky enough that near me there is one range which allows you to play of grass and to be honest I find this the most "realistic".  Sure hitting off a mat can be useful for swing practice etc. but nothing like the real thing.  And I endeavor now to just hit off the grass as much as I can...

What do you guys think?  Does it really make much of a difference?

a mat doesnt respond to the club the way the grass do, matts can very easily mask a "fat" or "heavy" contact,...and sometimes increase the effect of a "thin" shot

Grass is grass, what happens on grass is what will happen on the course,

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

I'm fine with mats.  Obviously grass is preferrable, but the range I go to changes out their mats regularly.  My biggest gripe about mats is practicing tee shots.  I don't like the rubber tees that are often too high or too low.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!