IGNORED

Has Technology Helped You Hit the Golf Ball Farther?

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. In the past 10 years has technology helped you hit the ball farther?

• Yes (10+ yards)
    • Yes, but nothing crazy (5-10 yards)
    • No, I hit it about the same
    • No, I hit it shorter

In the past 10 years has technology helped you hit the ball farther?

Technology being:

• New equipment: drivers, golf balls, irons, shafts, adjustability, turbulators ;-)
  • Launch monitors: Trackman, FlightScope, Foresight, golf retailer simulators.
  • High-speed video.
  • Online instruction: Lessons, videos, website articles/threads.
  • 3D motion capture systems: AMM, K-Vest, Gears, Vicon, GolfTec.
  • Swing Analysis software: Analyzr, V1, various apps.
  • Gadgets: Zepp, , Swingbyte, GAME Golf, SwingTip.

After you vote, post in the thread and provide some details on your vote. If you hit it farther, what technology do you feel has helped you?

I voted for "Yes but nothing crazy". I swing a little slower now than I did 10 years ago when I was playing college golf but I hit it a little further. I would attribute that to driver and ball technology, 3D ball flight technology (positive AoA), online instruction, high-speed video and Analyzr software (better impact alignments).

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted "No. I hit about the same."

But the caveats are:

1. I don't take advantage of very much new technology.

2. I am not as strong as I was 10 years ago.

3. I hit the ball more consistently than I did 10 years ago.

Add it all up and I would say that slightly better clubs, slightly better golf balls, and slightly more consistent impact offsets what would have been a loss of distance due to less strength.

So a distance stalemate (which is good at almost 59 years old if you ask me). ;-)

Voted yes ... Mainly lessons ... Online lessons :-D

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

I used a 1967 set of First Flight Golden Eagles and matching woods until 2011. Granted, I had never broke 95 and wasn't all that serious, but once I bought a new set of MacGregor M75i hybrid/irons set and new Taylor Made metals I did see a real improvement. I am sure it was mostly my attitude and dedication that made the biggest changes in my play, but those clubs are much improved over the vintage almost 50 year old set I was using.

I voted yes 10+YARDS, it's not just longer, it's much straighter which equates to longer when all added up. The 460cc driver is a huge a dvantage compared to the Wilson staff persimmons at 43" shafts, I remember the first 45" driver out there in 1989 being the ADX 100 by Yonex. That thing was easily 15 yards longer.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

In the past 10 years has technology helped you hit the ball farther?

Technology being:

New equipment: drivers, golf balls, irons, shafts, adjustability, turbulators

Launch monitors: Trackman, FlightScope, Foresight, golf retailer simulators.

High-speed video.

Online instruction: Lessons, videos, website articles/threads.

3D motion capture systems: AMM, K-Vest, Gears, Vicon, GolfTec.

Swing Analysis software: Analyzr, V1, various apps.

Gadgets: Zepp, , Swingbyte, GAME Golf, SwingTip.

After you vote, post in the thread and provide some details on your vote. If you hit it farther, what technology do you feel has helped you?

I voted for "Yes but nothing crazy". I swing a little slower now than I did 10 years ago when I was playing college golf but I hit it a little further. I would attribute that to driver and ball technology, 3D ball flight technology (positive AoA), online instruction, high-speed video and Analyzr software (better impact alignments).

I would say golf equipment has added a much more consistent distance. Higher MOI, better CG placement, better fitting.

I would say lessons from the forum here and in person has gained me yardage. Just better ball striking and better power eff with the swing.

For me, I would say I gained 5-10 yards overall in combination.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I am going with no because I feel I am nowhere near full potential. Nothing and I mean nothing did more for me than legit instruction. I have no doubt I could toss my ancient 845s back in the bag and loft for loft get the same distance on decent strikes.

But I didn't touch a club or any golf equipment in more than 10 years prior to 04/2012. I don't think the ball has changed that much in 10. That is the one thing that sticks out to me from what I remember.

Dave :-)

I went from hitting 0 yards to 240 yards with driver. Prior to 4.5 years ago, I wasn't even playing golf. :-) This has been in part answered by St. Andrews golf. [VIDEO]http://youtu.be/fLV6rM1vtrA[/VIDEO]

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I voted yes 10+YARDS, it's not just longer, it's much straighter which equates to longer when all added up. The 460cc driver is a huge advantage compared to the Wilson staff persimmons at 43" shafts, I remember the first 45" driver out there in 1989 being the ADX 100 by Yonex. That thing was easily 15 yards longer.

You were still playing with that 10 years ago? :bugout:

My very first driver (about that time) was an old "Great Big Bertha" and I hit some long balls with that club. :-D

You were still playing with that 10 years ago?

My very first driver (about that time) was an old "Great Big Bertha" and I hit some long balls with that club.

Missed the 10 years part, oops. :doh:

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Massive difference for me

I kept my clubs from 1994 until 2013- they were a set of Fazer Marauder's. These were my first clubs after playing for 2 years. I had used my dads clubs from the early 80's prior to this. The Fazer clubs were nice rip offs of Tommy Armour cavity backs, I think they were 845's or silver scot from memory.

I did upgrade the driver in 2006 and gained a bit of distance.

My current clubs are a couple of years old and make a massive difference, but I do also play a lot more.

Iron distance is significant. I used to hit a 5 iron 150m and my new 5 iron goes about 170-175m. I realise that the lofts have lowered over the years but the difference is massive.

The big difference though to my game is the forgiveness of the irons. If I hit a sweet 7iron it will go really high and stop almost straight away on a green about 155m away, the great part is if I hit it thin it seems to go the same distance but at a much lower flight path. This is massive for my game, my mishits dont stop on the green but a poorly played iron is still near the green for chipping rather than another approach shot.

Maybe my extra distance is due to my clubs being "Nitro active" lol!!!!

:powerblt: Air force one complete set

:powerblt: TPS Putter

:oakley: Shirts

:footjoy: shoes

I say no because now GPS technology confirms that I only hit my driver 240 instead of the 260 I "used to" hit :-D

• Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

I say no because now GPS technology confirms that I only hit my driver 240 instead of the 260 I "used to" hit

True for most young bucks... ;-)

I'd be curious to see how far my skill level now would hit the ball with the same clubs I used 10 years ago. I know I was stronger, lighter, more flexible, and more athletic 10 years ago, but my swing was so bad and golf so frustrating I had already stopped playing the game for 3 years and didn't begin again until 2011. Screwing around at the driving range with my baseball buddies in high school, I could get lucky and hit one 300 yards occasionally (I remember hitting one over the net at the end of the range and bouncing across the road which made an old timer look at me like I was a mutant), but I was just as likely to shank it so badly it would cause the range pro to come over and warn us if we couldn't control ourselves he'd kick us out.

CONSISTENT distance increases due to technology, I would say 50 yards with driver or more, honestly. High-speed camera feedback has been by far the most helpful, but my Medicus dual-hinge club was a real help for a while.

I went from hitting 0 yards to 240 yards with driver.

Prior to 4.5 years ago, I wasn't even playing golf.

Yes for the guys that have been playing for less than 10 years, just go by when you started playing on a regular basis and/or the first set of clubs you had as a "baseline".

I say no because now GPS technology confirms that I only hit my driver 240 instead of the 260 I "used to" hit

Good one.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Yes for the guys that have been playing for less than 10 years, just go by when you started playing on a regular basis and/or the first set of clubs you had as a "baseline".

Instruction in the last year has made the biggest change. My average distances are much closer to my maximum distance. I swing with 40% to 60% less effort than previously, and get the same distances I used to get when swinging out of my shoes. The last three months saw a radical change in my irons, which helped lower my handicap to where it is now. These improvements have been because I am using videos of my swing and looking at my swing more critically.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I voted "yes, but nothing crazy" but I honestly don't know if that's right.  Too many variables.

I was certainly capable of hitting it over 300 yards occasionally 12-13 years ago with a driver (975D), and I very rarely hit it over 300 now.  In fact, in the 4 or 5 rounds since I've had my Game Golf, I've not hit any over 300.  Of course, I'm older now, and it's entirely likely that if I was still hitting the 975D, I'd be hitting it even shorter than my current driver.  In which case, that technology (new driver - professionally fitted) definitely helped me hit it longer, even if it's not actually longer than 10 years ago.

I have a hole-in-one, and an eagle on a par 4, both about 12-14 years ago, both from 145 yards, both with a Titleist DCI PW that had 47* of loft and was 35.25" long.  My current PW is 1.5" longer and 1.5* stronger, yet I hit it slightly shorter than I hit the old one then.  Of course, the same principle applies as the driver; without the new tech, it's possible I'd be hitting the PW considerably shorter now.

Of course, that brings up the question of instruction.  (I've been videoing my swing and taking Evolvr lessons for a couple of years.)  If I did break out the old clubs and found that I hit them nearly as long as the new ones, perhaps you could conclude that I have not benefitted from technology.  However, with my current swing improving due to tech based lessons, who's to say that that's where the biggest gains might be from.

I just don't know.  My game has improved IMMENSELY due to technology, but I can't really say for certain if I've gained distance.

Note: This thread is 3471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!