IGNORED

The Presidents Cup v The Ryder Cup - Which is best?

Golfbreaks
Note: This thread is 3122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which event do you prefer?

• The Ryder Cup - EU versus US
    • The President's Cup - Asia/Africa versus US
    • Niether. I don't like team events.

Which do you prefer the most; the Presidents Cup or the Ryder Cup?

As a Brit (or Euro) of course I am slightly biased... partly because the Presidents Cup doesn't get half as much coverage as the Ryder Cup over here... and also because we don't stand a chance of winning the President's Cup...!?!

As Americans and Worldwide golfers I'd be interested to hear your views about the events and which one spins your wheels the most...!  Thanks, Guy

Golfbreaks.com   -   Bespoke vacations to UK & Ireland at unbeatable prices
Email:  usasales@golfbreaks.com
Phone:  1-855-699-5853
Web:  usa.golfbreaks.com

Can a moderator add a poll to this, @mvmac or @boogielicious ?

I am a huge Ryder Cup fan. I think the Presidents Cup is nice because it brings in golfers from other countries that have a history of good golfers. Like South Africa and Australia.

I find it kinda interesting that the USA has dominated the Presidents Cup. Typically by a wide margin, 3-5 points on average.

I pick the Ryder Cup because it just seems more competitive. There is more energy with it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

they don't even belong in a comparison... the president's cup is a slightly expanded (and less entertaining) version of the tavistock cup... let's put it this way... if they decided to hold the rc in a location that would require me to stay up all night in order to watch it, i would... i'd bitch about it, but i'd do it... whereas it is unlikely that i will even bother dvr'ing the pc this year... put another way... there are several of us who wouldn't mind if the pc went away entirely... there are none of us who want the rc to go away...

Poll added.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I love the Ryder Cup but I must say I find some things about it hysterically funny. "Europe" gets all excited about winning all the time but do they realize that it's one country (USA) vs an entire continent? LOL.

I also think -- like the Olympics -- if you live and train in the USA you don't get to play for your "home country/continent" where you don't live or spend most of your time. How many players would that eliminate from Europe's team?

Just saying.

I'd be surprised if this poll isn't close to 100% in favor of the Ryder Cup. The OP is a Brit and is biased but most USA golf fans also think that the Ryder Cup is the true international competition.

I love the Ryder Cup but I must say I find some things about it hysterically funny. "Europe" gets all excited about winning all the time but do they realize that it's one country (USA) vs an entire continent? LOL.

I also think -- like the Olympics -- if you live and train in the USA you don't get to play for your "home country/continent" where you don't live or spend most of your time. How many players would that eliminate from Europe's team?

Just saying.

Until 20 years ago or so, the European team is only payers from GB and I. And the population of the European countries that contribute players to their team is similar to the population of the US.

Don't care about these team events and voted as such.   It's made for TV event as far as I am concerned.   I am sure Ryder cup meant something in the old days but now, other than a small section of die hard golf fans and the players who enjoy this type of "team" event, who really cares?    Presidents cup is even worse.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I like the Ryder cup because the European Team brings more "pizazz" of any group of team players out there. They seem to play the contest for all the right reasons, and show up accordingly. That said, being an American, I don't care much for them winning so much.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I prefer the Ryder Cup, personally, though oftentimes I find more enjoyment watching the President's Cup because of the lower stakes and more relaxed atmosphere.

My biggest issue with the Ryder Cup is that it is the prestigious of the two events, but it involves the fewest countries. The Presidents Cup involves the whole world (minus Europe, of course), and I like that more.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

I prefer the Ryder Cup, personally, though oftentimes I find more enjoyment watching the President's Cup because of the lower stakes and more relaxed atmosphere.

My biggest issue with the Ryder Cup is that it is the prestigious of the two events, but it involves the fewest countries. The Presidents Cup involves the whole world (minus Europe, of course), and I like that more.

Ryder Cup is more intense as both sides really want to win while Presidents Cup often feels more like an exhibition than a competition.  I think the European team is very tight knit and feels a greater sense of camaraderie than the Presidents Cup team does.  With the Olympics adding golf it almost seems like the Presidents cup is losing a good bit of what made it unique.

Joe Paradiso

Thanks for your comments everyone; it is a really interesting debate. I thought that I would chip in with my views... being from Europe we obviously love the Ryder Cup (especially in recent years... :-) ). It’s so rare in golf to play as a team and for some reason the Europeans just love that format. We have something else similar to The Presidents Cup in Europe called The Seve Cup (after the late great Seve Ballesteros), which is mainland Europe against the UK/Ireland. I’d actually rather see Europe against rest of world (including Americans) but that might be a little tricky to fit into the schedule! Thanks, Dan

Golfbreaks.com   -   Bespoke vacations to UK & Ireland at unbeatable prices
Email:  usasales@golfbreaks.com
Phone:  1-855-699-5853
Web:  usa.golfbreaks.com

History favors the Ryder Cup

My youth favors the Ryder Cup (although it was saved from extinction by making it Euro and not just British)

TV favors Ryder Cup

Pres Cup playing to a tie favors Ryder Cup

Rest of the World favors Presidents Cup

Players play, tough players win!

There's also the EurAsia Cup to be complete, but only since recently. And I don't think anyone will vote on that one also ;-)

It's Ryder Cup all the way. Not just for me (and I guess most fans), but also for the players competing you see a lot of passion and drive. Both on qualifying for the event and while participating in it.

~Jorrit

Don't care about these team events and voted as such.   It's made for TV event as far as I am concerned.   I am sure Ryder cup meant something in the old days but now, other than a small section of die hard golf fans and the players who enjoy this type of "team" event, who really cares?    Presidents cup is even worse.

The Ryder Cup is a huge event and garners huge TV ratings. A lot of people care. I was at Oakland Hills in 2004 and it was a massive event. It's grown since.

The Ryder Cup, without a doubt.  I find it far more captivating than any other golfing event outside of the first 3 majors of the year.

To the comment that it looks like a "made for TV" event, that's a pretty silly remark considering that nobody had TV for most of the first 25 years of its existence, and the Cup matches weren't televised until a lot longer after that.  The first live coverage in the US was in 1983, and even then it was only the last four holes in the singles matches.  For almost 60 years there had been nothing but filmed highlight coverage at most.  It wasn't until 1989 that the Cup matches were broadcast live from the UK to the US, and it was the USA cable network that first took on that challenge.

The event was really patterned after club vs. club matches that weren't uncommon during the early years of golf.  Not that it is played by an identical format, but the general idea was the same.  At one time, foursome and fourball matches were quite common at many clubs.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3122 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!