or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Baby It's Cold Outside
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Baby It's Cold Outside

post #1 of 54
Thread Starter 

1389039300

 

It is coming our way in Boston.  We are getting poured on today, then plunging to the teens tonight.  Can you say, "Black Ice"?  Should be a fun commute tomorrow.

post #2 of 54

We received about 17" of snow yesterday in Michigan and are now expecting the sub-zero temperatures with wind chills around 30 below.

post #3 of 54

Blame @Ernest Jones he's from Canada :p Its his wind that is causing this unbearable cold. 

 

Speaking of Blame Canada, reminds me of this instant classic 

 

post #4 of 54

I just got a call from our school district: they've canceled all after-school activities for today (no early dismissal though), and have already canceled school tomorrow.

 

The low today is supposed to be -5, and the high tomorrow is 7.

post #5 of 54

In Dayton,

 

High: -7

Low: -9

 

There is something messed up with that. Oh and a wind chill of -35 degrees. The reason I am paying 8 bucks to park in the parking deck next to were I work. 

 

Tomorrow, it will be a high of 8 low of 6, so a tad bit better, and the wind dies down. 

post #6 of 54

-22 on the drive in this morning  (windchill estimated -60)

post #7 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post
 

-22 on the drive in this morning  (windchill estimated -60)

As a fellow Minneapolis resident, I feel your pain. And in case this isn't bad enough... Some idiot in my apartment building decided he/she would pull the fire alarm last night at 2:45 AM and make the building evacuate on the coldest night of the year... for a false alarm. 

post #8 of 54

-18 right now near Milwaukee.   Wind chill -45.  Can't imagine in northern MN what it is like right now.  My parents have a place up there.

post #9 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

-18 right now near Milwaukee.   Wind chill -45.  Can't imagine in northern MN what it is like right now.  My parents have a place up there.

Does life just go on haitus when it gets this cold??  I mean, do people continue to go about their days, or does everybody stay home??  Forgive me for my naivete but this is what I'm pretty sure would happen to me if I go outside in that kind of weather:  (at 0:57)

 

post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Does life just go on haitus when it gets this cold??  I mean, do people continue to go about their days, or does everybody stay home?? 

 

Kind of, yeah. We're pretty hardy, but sub-zero temperatures (F) and wind chills of -30 or below tend to seriously curb life (only because they're transient - if it was a week, you'd see people doing most of their normal things).

post #11 of 54
It's 56˚ here right now, and it's supposed to be 13˚ tomorrow, so that's weird.
post #12 of 54

Tomorrow's even gonna be cold down here.  I just got an email from one of the local courses promoting a "pay what the temperature is" day for tomorrow.  That tells you something.......!

 

Back near the 70's on Wed and into the 80's by the weekend though, so I can't complain.  I really feel bad for the rest of you guys. 

post #13 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Does life just go on haitus when it gets this cold??  I mean, do people continue to go about their days, or does everybody stay home??  Forgive me for my naivete but this is what I'm pretty sure would happen to me if I go outside in that kind of weather:  (at 0:57)

 

Here is Milwaukee they actually canceled schools for today on Friday.  The working community is a different story.  I sent my boss(Dad) a text yesterday saying we might have a few people not show up.  He texted me back saying "if they don't they are whimps."  Haha.  The big boss man is kind of a hard ass though...;-)  So far though we have had 29 of 30 people come in.  Our Accounting Manager is the only one who has not and she "claims" to be sick.  :-D   You really just cannot go outside for very long when it gets this cold.  I remember growing up in Minneapolis though we had days that were between -30 and -40 where you did not dare go outside.

post #14 of 54

I think it is impossible for that to happen 

 

I know my friend basically ripped that whole giant storm to bits, but enjoyed the movie. I think the main issue is, that it is impossible to create a sustainable storm that large because if it is drawing air that cold, it is drawing very very dry air. Cold air can not hold moisture, hence it can not form a hurricane type structure because it can't sustain the cloud structure. This is why all storms in the winter are clippers or fronts. Only fronts have enough energy to draw in any sort of moisture required to produce clouds like that. 

 

Just saying, but it was a fun movie :-D

post #15 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Does life just go on haitus when it gets this cold??  I mean, do people continue to go about their days, or does everybody stay home??  Forgive me for my naivete but this is what I'm pretty sure would happen to me if I go outside in that kind of weather:  (at 0:57)

 

easy drive to work - no issues up here - it's cold, it's not an earthquake.  wear layers and take care of your vehicles.

 

It depends where you are though.  When we lived in DC, Phoenix, etc it was scary bad as the locals really couldn't handle any serious (or not so serious) adverse weather.  We had a big storm in DC one year.  The wife threw on a regular jacket, took the car (not the 4WD, just her normal car) and hopped down to the market to get some groceries (no biggie, it's a little snow).  She finds a parking lot full of SUVs and only men in full winter regalia apparently shopping, stocking up, for the 'blizzard of death'.  At the checkout, one guy sees her in line with a light jacket and just a few groceries and just comments - "you're from the midwest aren't you?"  :-P

 

Pittburgh for a year - no issues, local seemed to handle it ok.  Especially away from the metro.

Midwest?  also no issues at all unless you are in heavy metro areas, then too many transplants and city only drivers.

 

Although, I spent time in Kittery, maine (spelling?) once and expected drivers to be pros in bitter weather (far north Atlantic coast, right?).  I was disappointed, I saw the most craziest stupid driving behaviors during a really big storm - including a 4WD truck and spinning on a flat stretch of ice.

post #16 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

I think it is impossible for that to happen

 

I know my friend basically ripped that whole giant storm to bits, but enjoyed the movie. I think the main issue is, that it is impossible to create a sustainable storm that large because if it is drawing air that cold, it is drawing very very dry air. Cold air can not hold moisture, hence it can not form a hurricane type structure because it can't sustain the cloud structure. This is why all storms in the winter are clippers or fronts. Only fronts have enough energy to draw in any sort of moisture required to produce clouds like that.

 

Just saying, but it was a fun movie :-D

Yeah, my friends and I watched that movie in the theater ... and I LOVE it!!  Not because it's scientifically correct, but basically the exact opposite.  It's so bad, it's fantastic.

 

It's like Sharknado with really good production value. ;)

 

----------------------------------------

 

@cipher the other thing I think of when its this cold up by you guys is something like this:

At 1:45.  They're standing outside in coats and snow that make it look like it's already zero degrees, and the guy says "wellll, it looks like it's gonna turn cold tomorrow." ;)

post #17 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Yeah, my friends and I watched that movie in the theater ... and I LOVE it!!  Not because it's scientifically correct, but basically the exact opposite.  It's so bad, it's fantastic.

It's like Sharknado with really good production value. ;)

That used to be my favorite movie, but I haven't watched it in years.
post #18 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

 

@cipher the other thing I think of when its this cold up by you guys is something like this:

At 1:45.  They're standing outside in coats and snow that make it look like it's already zero degrees, and the guy says "wellll, it looks like it's gonna turn cold tomorrow." ;)

To my embarrassment, I finally saw this movie for the first time about a week ago.  I love this scene.  I love how he is talking about the lakes that I grew up around as well.  Love it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Baby It's Cold Outside