IGNORED

Vacation Without Golf Clubs

DaveP043
Note: This thread is 1807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a golfer, my wife is a golfer.  When my wife and I travel for vacation, golf is just about always a part of it.  Well, I'm leaving on Thursday for a week on a catamaran in the Virgin Islands with three other couples.  An entire week, with absolutely no chance of playing golf.  I know we'll have a blast, we've taken this kind of trip one other time, but I realized that the last vacation we took without our clubs was 11 years ago, the last time we took a boat trip.  

If you're reading this, you're almost certainly a golfer too.  Do you take vacations without your clubs, without any plans for golf?  What do you do on those trips?  If I could think of an appropriate poll, I'd post that, but for now I'm just curious.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Do you take vacations without your clubs, without any plans for golf? What do you do on those trips?

Yes, when I take the kids to Walt Disney World. The last couple of trips I did not plan any golf and I'm  not planning to play when (if?) I go in October.

I generally don't play much golf on a regular family vacation, though I try to fit in a round if I can which means packing the clubs. Two years ago we stayed in Cape Elizabeth and I did get out to play a round with @Valleygolfer and @boogielicious, but the majority of the week was spent with my family relaxing, sightseeing, and eating a ridiculous amount of lobster.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

25 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm a golfer, my wife is a golfer.  When my wife and I travel for vacation, golf is just about always a part of it.  Well, I'm leaving on Thursday for a week on a catamaran in the Virgin Islands with three other couples.  An entire week, with absolutely no chance of playing golf.  I know we'll have a blast, we've taken this kind of trip one other time, but I realized that the last vacation we took without our clubs was 11 years ago, the last time we took a boat trip.  

If you're reading this, you're almost certainly a golfer too.  Do you take vacations without your clubs, without any plans for golf?  What do you do on those trips?  If I could think of an appropriate poll, I'd post that, but for now I'm just curious.

Mahogany Run on St Thomas rents clubs. Just sayin':-)

Depends on where we go. Florida, Bermuda, we bring our clubs. Virgin Islands, rent clubs. St Croix also has a couple of courses.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

All the time.  

We travel to explore new places/countries, scuba diving, fly fishing, hiking, dining, etc...  We also enjoy sailing and love a quiet week of cruising from anchorage to anchorage.  A little snorkeling, a little fishing, a little rum under the stars...

The golf courses are always still there when I get back a week or two later.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Mahogany Run on St Thomas rents clubs. Just sayin':-)

Depends on where we go. Florida, Bermuda, we bring our clubs. Virgin Islands, rent clubs. St Croix also has a couple of courses.

LOL, thanks.  We fly down on Thursday, on Friday morning we get on the boat and set sail.  The longest time we'll spend on land all week will be one stop for dinner, probably on Anegada, and occasional mid-afternoon visits to random beach-front bars.  Other than that, we're on the water all day and all night.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

• iacas changed the title to Vacation Without Golf Clubs
27 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

LOL, thanks.  We fly down on Thursday, on Friday morning we get on the boat and set sail.  The longest time we'll spend on land all week will be one stop for dinner, probably on Anegada, and occasional mid-afternoon visits to random beach-front bars.  Other than that, we're on the water all day and all night.

I hear ya! Hopefully the beach bars have recovered. Willy T's floating bar got beached in the hurricane and Jost van Dyke got hit pretty hard. But we have been following the recovery on St. John and they are starting to really come back. Love that area. 

Have fun!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm taking a trip (with the wife) to Scrub Island in BVI. No golf clubs. I'm a little worried. Fortunately I like to drink. Looks like we can snorkel, day trips to other islands, and ......I'm a little worried. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

A crazy idea like that got floated a few months ago. Fortunately it crashed and burned.

I'd rather go nowhere. May do a 4-day staycation type thing and save some green.

25 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I hear ya! Hopefully the beach bars have recovered. Willy T's floating bar got beached in the hurricane and Jost van Dyke got hit pretty hard. But we have been following the recovery on St. John and they are starting to really come back. Love that area. 

Have fun!

I'm betting that our Captain will know which places are in business and will guide us accordingly.  I did read that the Willy T was destroyed, but a new version is in Great Harbour, at Peter Island.  I'm pretty sure that will be a definite item of our itinerary.

Dave

Every year our family vacation is to Kiawah Island.  It is really the only place that we enjoy going every year.  My wife is not a golfer, but the past few years, my sons have been old enough to play a round with me.  My wife complains that I play a few rounds in the area during the week but I know she’s glad that I get out and play and she can relax on the beach.

Every few years, we go to some place different for an adventure vacation and the clubs stay at home.  I’m a type A personality and I go non-stop for the entire trip, no golf.  I think it helps my wife appreciate the down time when we are on our regular golf/beach vacations.

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

But we have been following the recovery on St. John and they are starting to really come back. Love that area. 

Our favorite vacation was Caneel Bay in St. John's.   Sadly, it will not be rebuilt.   We were in St. Thomas in early March and most of the hotels are not up and running.    The USVI are devastated from the two hurricanes.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

10 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. There are only 2 reasons for my wife and I to go on Vacation. Play golf, and/or have sex. If we are going on vacation and not doing one (or preferably both) of those two things. It isn't a vacation, it's just carting the kids around. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. There are only 2 reasons for my wife and I to go on Vacation. Play golf, and/or have sex. If we are going on vacation and not doing one (or preferably both) of those two things. It isn't a vacation, it's just carting the kids around. 

You clearly don’t play enough golf the rest of the year.  I’ll not comment on the sex!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Vacation without golf clubs? Is there really such a thing? 

We have taken vacations where we didn't golf, but we usually had our clubs with us....just in case. 

This, even when we fly, or take a train some where. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

It’s good to be a Captain. We’ve bareboated a couple times and have not brought the clubs. I have always asked if my family wanted to bareboat a 45ft catamaran and sail anywhere they desired but they are comfortable on a cruise ship. I still don’t think I’d bring them. 

Have fun! Wishing you Fair winds and following seas

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Clubs are packed first and golf courses are scouted before we leave.  We vacation TO golf. I picked my timeshare because it was adjacent to a course.  

Have fun on the catamaran.  Vacationing with other fun couples is a blast.  

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

You clearly don’t play enough golf the rest of the year.  I’ll not comment on the sex!

Agreed! 

I won't comment on the sex either. Although, I just had a thought. Perhaps there should be a handicap system for that as well... I digress. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I won't comment on the sex either. Although, I just had a thought. Perhaps there should be a handicap system for that as well... I digress. 

ha ha... I'm afraid to comment...Even though it's OT.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Note: This thread is 1807 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!