Jump to content
DaveP043

Vacation Without Golf Clubs

22 posts / 3455 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

I'm a golfer, my wife is a golfer.  When my wife and I travel for vacation, golf is just about always a part of it.  Well, I'm leaving on Thursday for a week on a catamaran in the Virgin Islands with three other couples.  An entire week, with absolutely no chance of playing golf.  I know we'll have a blast, we've taken this kind of trip one other time, but I realized that the last vacation we took without our clubs was 11 years ago, the last time we took a boat trip.  

If you're reading this, you're almost certainly a golfer too.  Do you take vacations without your clubs, without any plans for golf?  What do you do on those trips?  If I could think of an appropriate poll, I'd post that, but for now I'm just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Do you take vacations without your clubs, without any plans for golf? What do you do on those trips?

Yes, when I take the kids to Walt Disney World. The last couple of trips I did not plan any golf and I'm  not planning to play when (if?) I go in October.

I generally don't play much golf on a regular family vacation, though I try to fit in a round if I can which means packing the clubs. Two years ago we stayed in Cape Elizabeth and I did get out to play a round with @Valleygolfer and @boogielicious, but the majority of the week was spent with my family relaxing, sightseeing, and eating a ridiculous amount of lobster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm a golfer, my wife is a golfer.  When my wife and I travel for vacation, golf is just about always a part of it.  Well, I'm leaving on Thursday for a week on a catamaran in the Virgin Islands with three other couples.  An entire week, with absolutely no chance of playing golf.  I know we'll have a blast, we've taken this kind of trip one other time, but I realized that the last vacation we took without our clubs was 11 years ago, the last time we took a boat trip.  

If you're reading this, you're almost certainly a golfer too.  Do you take vacations without your clubs, without any plans for golf?  What do you do on those trips?  If I could think of an appropriate poll, I'd post that, but for now I'm just curious.

Mahogany Run on St Thomas rents clubs. Just sayin':-)

Depends on where we go. Florida, Bermuda, we bring our clubs. Virgin Islands, rent clubs. St Croix also has a couple of courses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

All the time.  

We travel to explore new places/countries, scuba diving, fly fishing, hiking, dining, etc...  We also enjoy sailing and love a quiet week of cruising from anchorage to anchorage.  A little snorkeling, a little fishing, a little rum under the stars...

The golf courses are always still there when I get back a week or two later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Mahogany Run on St Thomas rents clubs. Just sayin':-)

Depends on where we go. Florida, Bermuda, we bring our clubs. Virgin Islands, rent clubs. St Croix also has a couple of courses.

LOL, thanks.  We fly down on Thursday, on Friday morning we get on the boat and set sail.  The longest time we'll spend on land all week will be one stop for dinner, probably on Anegada, and occasional mid-afternoon visits to random beach-front bars.  Other than that, we're on the water all day and all night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

LOL, thanks.  We fly down on Thursday, on Friday morning we get on the boat and set sail.  The longest time we'll spend on land all week will be one stop for dinner, probably on Anegada, and occasional mid-afternoon visits to random beach-front bars.  Other than that, we're on the water all day and all night.

I hear ya! Hopefully the beach bars have recovered. Willy T's floating bar got beached in the hurricane and Jost van Dyke got hit pretty hard. But we have been following the recovery on St. John and they are starting to really come back. Love that area. 

Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm a golfer, my wife is a golfer.  When my wife and I travel for vacation, golf is just about always a part of it.  Well, I'm leaving on Thursday for a week on a catamaran in the Virgin Islands with three other couples.  An entire week, with absolutely no chance of playing golf.  I know we'll have a blast, we've taken this kind of trip one other time, but I realized that the last vacation we took without our clubs was 11 years ago, the last time we took a boat trip.  

If you're reading this, you're almost certainly a golfer too.  Do you take vacations without your clubs, without any plans for golf?  What do you do on those trips?  If I could think of an appropriate poll, I'd post that, but for now I'm just curious.

I'm taking a trip (with the wife) to Scrub Island in BVI. No golf clubs. I'm a little worried. Fortunately I like to drink. Looks like we can snorkel, day trips to other islands, and ......I'm a little worried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A crazy idea like that got floated a few months ago. Fortunately it crashed and burned.

I'd rather go nowhere. May do a 4-day staycation type thing and save some green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

I hear ya! Hopefully the beach bars have recovered. Willy T's floating bar got beached in the hurricane and Jost van Dyke got hit pretty hard. But we have been following the recovery on St. John and they are starting to really come back. Love that area. 

Have fun!

I'm betting that our Captain will know which places are in business and will guide us accordingly.  I did read that the Willy T was destroyed, but a new version is in Great Harbour, at Peter Island.  I'm pretty sure that will be a definite item of our itinerary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every year our family vacation is to Kiawah Island.  It is really the only place that we enjoy going every year.  My wife is not a golfer, but the past few years, my sons have been old enough to play a round with me.  My wife complains that I play a few rounds in the area during the week but I know she’s glad that I get out and play and she can relax on the beach.

Every few years, we go to some place different for an adventure vacation and the clubs stay at home.  I’m a type A personality and I go non-stop for the entire trip, no golf.  I think it helps my wife appreciate the down time when we are on our regular golf/beach vacations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

But we have been following the recovery on St. John and they are starting to really come back. Love that area. 

Our favorite vacation was Caneel Bay in St. John's.   Sadly, it will not be rebuilt.   We were in St. Thomas in early March and most of the hotels are not up and running.    The USVI are devastated from the two hurricanes.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm a golfer, my wife is a golfer.  When my wife and I travel for vacation, golf is just about always a part of it.  Well, I'm leaving on Thursday for a week on a catamaran in the Virgin Islands with three other couples.  An entire week, with absolutely no chance of playing golf.  I know we'll have a blast, we've taken this kind of trip one other time, but I realized that the last vacation we took without our clubs was 11 years ago, the last time we took a boat trip.  

If you're reading this, you're almost certainly a golfer too.  Do you take vacations without your clubs, without any plans for golf?  What do you do on those trips?  If I could think of an appropriate poll, I'd post that, but for now I'm just curious.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. There are only 2 reasons for my wife and I to go on Vacation. Play golf, and/or have sex. If we are going on vacation and not doing one (or preferably both) of those two things. It isn't a vacation, it's just carting the kids around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. There are only 2 reasons for my wife and I to go on Vacation. Play golf, and/or have sex. If we are going on vacation and not doing one (or preferably both) of those two things. It isn't a vacation, it's just carting the kids around. 

You clearly don’t play enough golf the rest of the year.  I’ll not comment on the sex!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Vacation without golf clubs? Is there really such a thing? 

We have taken vacations where we didn't golf, but we usually had our clubs with us....just in case. 

This, even when we fly, or take a train some where. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It’s good to be a Captain. We’ve bareboated a couple times and have not brought the clubs. I have always asked if my family wanted to bareboat a 45ft catamaran and sail anywhere they desired but they are comfortable on a cruise ship. I still don’t think I’d bring them. 

Have fun! Wishing you Fair winds and following seas

iSank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Clubs are packed first and golf courses are scouted before we leave.  We vacation TO golf. I picked my timeshare because it was adjacent to a course.  

Have fun on the catamaran.  Vacationing with other fun couples is a blast.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

You clearly don’t play enough golf the rest of the year.  I’ll not comment on the sex!

Agreed! 

I won't comment on the sex either. Although, I just had a thought. Perhaps there should be a handicap system for that as well... I digress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I won't comment on the sex either. Although, I just had a thought. Perhaps there should be a handicap system for that as well... I digress. 

ha ha... I'm afraid to comment...Even though it's OT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...