IGNORED

Phone Apps for Swing Recording

Note: This thread is 1960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What apps are people using these days?

I looked at V1 Golf but the Android app hasn't been updated since 2017 and nearly all the recent reviews are one-star complaints.

Hudl looks promising but they seem to have removed "Hudl Technique" from the Android store - is it iPhone only?

I am hoping for something more convenient than the default camera and gallery apps on my phone. I want to check myself during practice sessions without scrolling through minutes of video looking for the two seconds that matter...

16 minutes ago, Coder said:

I want to check myself during practice sessions without scrolling through minutes of video looking for the two seconds that matter...

Take a video of one or two swings at a time then?

It takes me like 10 seconds at the most to walk back to my tripod and stop recording after I hit a shot. I usually do two shots per video clip and even with some rehearsal swings the clips are always pretty short and doesnt take much scrolling at all to find the actual swing.

My phone is a couple years old (Samsung Galaxy S7) and it can shoot perfectly fine in slow motion. 

I used an app called "Technique" (Orange logo) for a while but I found that actually having the phone record the swing in slow motion gave me much better picture quality than I was able to get when filming through the "Technique" app.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood
Irons: :titleist: U505 (3)  :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   :titleist: SM9 54/58  
Putter: :tmade: Spider X

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just use my cellphone's phone app to record in slow motion.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

41 minutes ago, klineka said:

Take a video of one or two swings at a time then?

Yes, that's what I do (sorry, I was exaggerating in the original post)

Maybe the default app for playback on my Pixel 2 is the weak point - it's quite fiddly to scroll to an exact spot, and after pressing play the on-screen controls disappear so you can't immediately pause again.

I still wish there was a golf-specific app that made it a slicker operation.

Anyone out there using Hudl? Maybe I could get hold of an old second-hand iPhone to use, if it's worth it.

I use the Shot Tracer app. It will (as the name implies) trace the ball's flight if you enter that setting, or you can have it take a frame by frame and overlay them. I'll see if I can post a video of each type here.

Use use the Mirror Vision app with my iPhone and iPad. I really like it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, Coder said:

What apps are people using these days?

I looked at V1 Golf but the Android app hasn't been updated since 2017 and nearly all the recent reviews are one-star complaints.

Hudl looks promising but they seem to have removed "Hudl Technique" from the Android store - is it iPhone only?

I am hoping for something more convenient than the default camera and gallery apps on my phone. I want to check myself during practice sessions without scrolling through minutes of video looking for the two seconds that matter...

Have you tried a remote shutter? I've been meaning to try one of these, but haven't gotten around to it.

57 minutes ago, Coder said:

Maybe I could get hold of an old second-hand iPhone to use, if it's worth it.

The Camera App that comes with iOS makes video recording so easy. It's a great interface. I can accurately trim a video with one hand while walking in seconds. I've never seen anything come close to it on Android, albeit my Android experience is limited.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Hudl and Technique are now Hudl Technique.    It works well if that is what you are looking for.  

VLC for android works well too.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Have you tried a remote shutter?

Great idea, I will look into that, thanks.

I might also borrow an iPhone and see if the camera recording and playback is slicker than on my Pixel.

Been a while since I taped but I found the slomo on my phone is fine enough. I just trim the video for the tmextra stuff it captured to save space. The slomo on my Samsung is flgreat when theres lots of sun.

• iacas changed the title to Phone Apps for Swing Recording
On 5/3/2019 at 1:01 PM, chicub15 said:

I use the Shot Tracer app. It will (as the name implies) trace the ball's flight if you enter that setting, or you can have it take a frame by frame and overlay them. I'll see if I can post a video of each type here.

I had no idea there was this tech available for phones....

Colin P.

I use Swing Profile on my iPhone. The auto swing detect saves you from having to scroll through all of the time either side of the swing. It gives (adjustable) swing plane lines and the ability to draw on the swing videos (which are saved) and I can favourite the ones I want to share with my golf tutor. 

I now have the paid version so I can save unlimited videos. 

The old camera app on an iPhone works well with V1.  I have no complaints.  Record new video for each swing if you don't want to scroll.  Be sure to delete ones you don't want or face the same issue but across videos instead of multiple swings in a single video.

On 5/14/2019 at 6:51 AM, JonWilliams said:

I use Swing Profile

Interesting, that is the kind of thing I was looking for. Shame there's no Android version...

On 5/16/2019 at 9:01 PM, Coder said:

Interesting, that is the kind of thing I was looking for. Shame there's no Android version...

I’ve been using this app for about six weeks and it continues to be used. Shame there’s not an Android version 😞

It's not the app, it's the phone.

Most phones that I've looked at record at no more 60 fps and for good slow motion recording of a golf swing, you need 120 fps or greater. Some of the newer Android phones I've looked at have a 960 fps function, but only in short 4/10th second bursts, which makes it nearly impossible to use for our purposes meaning, guaranteeing that you get a frame where the club head impacts the ball. With the way phones are priced these days I'm not going to pay a grand for a phone just so I can record my golf swing.

I think the latest I-phones may be able to record at 120 fps, but I haven't looked into it for the reason stated above. I have an old Samsung Galaxy S-6 (60 fps) that I will use until the end of time, or until the battery no longer takes a recharge, whichever comes first.

If anyone knows for sure of a phone that records >= 120fps, feel free to respond.

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

(edited)

iPhone 6 (nearly five years old) onwards, Samsung Galaxy S7 onwards, and various other Androids (including my Pixel 2) all do 240fps on their main camera. That's the frame rate you see on many of the videos in the My Swing section.

It's a shame that the front-facing selfie cameras aren't as fast because for golf work it would be useful to video in slo-mo and see what you're videoing.

The site gsmarena.com is useful for checking canners camera specs.

Edited by Coder

Note: This thread is 1960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!