IGNORED

Warm Up

Note: This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys,

Does anyone have a particular routine that they swear by before going out and having a round.

I will generally hit about 30 balls in the nets and a bit of practice around the green and some lag putts and 5-10 three foot putts.

I would like something more structured and looming for recomedations, normally have about 35-45 mins before a round.

Thanks 😁

• iacas changed the title to Warm Up

If I had 45 minutes before a round, I'd probably putt for 10 minutes to get a feel for the green speed, chip/pitch for 10 minutes, then hit about a dozen balls at different targets, making sure the last shot I hit is with the same club as the one I will tee off with.

I do it in that order so if I have less time, the back end of the routine gets cut off. Most days I don't get past the putting if I even warm up at all.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I am able my plan is:

5 min of 3' putts 

5 min of 30' lag putts

10 min of chipping and pitching

10-12 partial wedges to a target

PW 5 swings

8i 10 swings

5i 5 swings

10 3w

5 Dr

If I have more time I go back to the practice green

My warmup tends to be hit balls for 20-30 minutes, go chip for about 10 minutes, and then go putt for another 10 minutes.

Hitting balls is the most important part for me, because I tend to need 5-10 swings to get loose. Otherwise, the contact on those swings is going to be a complete wild card. My routine tends to be:

• SW: ~5 pitches where it feels like I'm almost making a full swing
  • PW: 5-10 shots
  • 8 iron: 5-10 shots
  • 4 or 5 iron: 5-10 shots
  • Driver: 10-15 shots
  • If I have more balls, I'll hit some 3 woods. If I'm hitting my 3 wood well off the deck, it's going to be a good round.
  • I might end with a couple of 9 irons or GWs, depending on time and how I'm hitting

Goal with this is to get loose, and then see where the ball is going on the day.

With chipping, I start with hitting about 5 sand shots. Then I'll hit some low chips and a few pitches.

With putting, I'm focusing on getting the speed of the greens right. I'm hitting 10 or more long (30+ foot) putts. Then I'll end with a bunch of shorter putts, including a few tap-ins, to get my confidence up.

This tends to be pretty malleable, and I'll skip any of it, depending on time. The most important part is getting 15 full swings in, as that's what I really need to be loose and fully warmed up. After that, I really want 5 minutes to test the speed of the green. The rest is just gravy. I'll get it in when I have a more important round (tournament/men's club event).

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

When i warm up, i usually start out with some half wedges. Im trying to feel the bottom of my swing. Then ill hit some full wedges. Then 4 or 5 8irons, 5 irons, hybrid then driver. But most of the time my warm up routine is to put my shoes on and go straight to the first tee...

Jealous of you guys that can hit balls before you play. Course I normally play was designed back in the 20's and didn't include a practice range. I try to use a tip I heard Johnny Miller talk about: 20 consecutive swings (right handed) and then change grip and do the same 20 swings left handed. I then work on a few 30 ft putts for distance and 3 ft putts for those TV tap-ins. Not a great preparation but I am no longer surprised when my tee shot on number 1 is one of my longest 2 or 3 drives for the day.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

My warm up starts with wedges, then maybe a few 3w&7w swings. 

The one thing I always do at warm ups, is finish up swinging the club I am going to use on the first tee. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I watched a video on YouTube recently that followed Jordan Spieth through his warmup routine. There are several more videos that feature different celebrity tour players. They all follow an approach similar to what DeadMan describes above.

A proper warmup routine should make a difference in how well you play, but in my case I am just as likely to play well without one.  Because of a rain delay in a tournament I played in last weekend, we got zero time on the range and I had my best ball striking day in the past two or three years.

I loosen up in some fashion but don't always hit balls to do so.  If I'm on the range it is usually because the course is backed up...or I got there extra early.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

About 10-20 shots just working my self up to full speed. Then I'll go 9 iron, 7 iron, 5 iron, hybrid, driver, short game, putting.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!