IGNORED

Orlando Area Golf

IronByron
Note: This thread is 1161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi.   My friends and I are going to the Orlando are for our yearly golf outing.   We will be playing 4 courses over a week, and have the following criteria.

1-100 dollars or less for a round.  We are willing to go over that for a truly special place.  

2-Within 30 miles of Kissimmee/Southwest Orlando

3-We have to be able to make a legitimate tee time.   No Bay Hill or Reunion Resort, where it's stay and play only.

Right now my top four, just from reading multiple reviews are.

Orange County National

Disney-Magnolia

Championsgate National.  (The international course is closed for over seeding while we are there.)

Southern Dunes.

Other places we have considered are Falcons Fire, Celebration, Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes and of course the other Disney courses.

If there are any Orlando natives, or people who have played the area a lot, which four courses would you choose?   Anything out there that's a hidden gem I have not seen?

@David in FL or @Vinsk can probably recommend some courses.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You actually have a good list. Falcons Fire is a nice track and drains well (we’ve had a lot of rain recently). Celebration is my home course and is very nice but is cart path only right now but could change based on rainfall. You’ll be very satisfied with your list as is however.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

4 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

You actually have a good list. Falcons Fire is a nice track and drains well (we’ve had a lot of rain recently). Celebration is my home course and is very nice but is cart path only right now but could change based on rainfall. You’ll be very satisfied with your list as is however.

I tend to agree, but I’m not a huge fan of Falcons Fire.  For what you’re doing, I think you’ll be pleased with those 4 courses.  

The only caveat would be to check for aeration schedules for each course for the actual week that you’ll be here.  We’re right in the middle of that time now....

• Thumbs Up 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Check Mission Inn too. I didn’t like Championsgate, but next to that you got Championsgate country club. I liked it a lot more.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks guys.    This is exactly the feedback I was hoping for.   Our trip is at the end of August, so we have plenty of time.   I'll take a closer look at Mission Inn and maybe change out Championsgate for them.   This is very exciting for us, as this is our 16th straight year of doing this, and this is the first time we have gone east of Utah.   (We are all from Oregon).  

I liked Eagle Creek when I lived there. I thought Twin Rivers was pretty good too. I wanted to play Bay Hill, and Mission Inn, but didn’t get to it. Dubsdread was also on my todo list, and I hear they have an awesome cheeseburger. Finally, Winter Park (Nine Hole) is on Golf Week’s Top Courses you can play.

• Thumbs Up 1

- Shane

Was in Orlando area a couple of years ago and played some of the courses mentioned . The OCN courses were a grade above the Disney and Falcons Fire though I loved the layout of Falcons . 

I also played a quirky little course near our house rental called Highlands Reserve which was good fun if not the greatest of challenges but well worth the green fee of under $30

• Thumbs Up 1

i was just in orlando a couple weeks ago.  I played Orange County National - Panther Lake course.   and really enjoyed it.    Actually, a pretty decent amount of elevation change for central florida.    From the looks of it, crooked cat was probably just as good.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• 4 months later...

I know this is n older thread, but if in the area again, check out Royal Saint Cloud (27 hole course). Always in great shape and only around 30 bucks! Locals all play it and love it.

I saw someone mention Eagle Creek and Falcons Fire. Both great courses as well! Eagle is definitely more expensive.

I have played 3 of the 4 on your list the exception being Southern Dunes. I loved both courses at Orange County National they would be my first choice. Magnolia was very nice as well, there used to be a Tour event there years ago. Champions Gate was good too, though it would be my last choice of the bunch. I have to second what @Vinsk said about Falcons Fire. I have always really enjoyed that course and its a good value.  

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• 1 year later...

I'm going to revive this old thread.  On pretty short notice, we've decided to visit Orlando for the week of January 9 to 16.  We're staying with some friends at the Marriott Lakeshore Reserve, next to the Ritz Carlton.  I'm sure we'll play at the course on-site at least once, but I'd love to hear more recommendations for nearby places to play.  We'll have 2 couples, but only 3 golfers, so we'd be happy to have a SandTrapper join us.  I'll check out the previous recommendations in this thread as well.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

21 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I'm going to revive this old thread.  On pretty short notice, we've decided to visit Orlando for the week of January 9 to 16.  We're staying with some friends at the Marriott Lakeshore Reserve, next to the Ritz Carlton.  I'm sure we'll play at the course on-site at least once, but I'd love to hear more recommendations for nearby places to play.  We'll have 2 couples, but only 3 golfers, so we'd be happy to have a SandTrapper join us.  I'll check out the previous recommendations in this thread as well.

I should tag the guys who I know are close, @Vinsk and @David in FL, and a little further @kpaulhus.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

@DaveP043 I don't live there anymore ::sad face::, but I would put Eagle Creek on the list. We had a TST outing down there 4 years ago, and it was a nice course. If you want to play a higher end course, check out Mission Inn. ChampionsGate is also pretty nice. Dubsdread is good, and their burger is awesome. I also like Twin Rivers which is the home course for UCF.

- Shane

On 1/2/2021 at 8:18 AM, DaveP043 said:

I should tag the guys who I know are close, @Vinsk and @David in FL, and a little further @kpaulhus.

I'm going to Orlando the 15th to the 24th and will be playing with @kpaulhuson the 22nd.  Playing Shingle Creek on the 19th (have never played here but looks good) and going to try Forest Lake on the 23rd.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

35 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I'm going to Orlando the 15th to the 24th and will be playing with @kpaulhuson the 22nd.  Playing Shingle Creek on the 19th (have never played here but looks good) and going to try Forest Lake on the 23rd.

Dang, looks like we'll just miss you.  I have Shingle Creek on our list of possibilities, I'll add Forest Creek for consideration too.  Thanks

Dave

6 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Dang, looks like we'll just miss you.  I have Shingle Creek on our list of possibilities, I'll add Forest Creek for consideration too.  Thanks

Yeah, Definite bummer.  When do you leave on the 16th?

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

7 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Yeah, Definite bummer.  When do you leave on the 16th?

First thing in the morning, I think its a 730 AM direct to Dulles.

Dave

Note: This thread is 1161 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!