IGNORED

Are Oversized Irons a Crutch?

Note: This thread is 1720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’m a typical weekend golfer and the highest I’ve ever scored is more than 30 shots over par. I play just to have fun and reaching bogey golf would already be amazing. I’m currently using a beginner Callaway Strata set I got 2 years ago but because one of the irons broke, I’m thinking of replacing the irons with another second hand set. A friend of mine is selling a King Cobra SSI Oversized iron set. From what I’ve read, they’re great for beginners with a huge sweet spot. That being said, these reviews are almost 10 years old and the clubs came out even before that. 

Two questions:

1. How big of a crutch are oversized irons? Will they make it impossible for me to eventually switch to normal irons in the future? I’ve read two opposing sides to the debate of using GIR/Oversized clubs so I wanted to post the question here.

2. How are these clubs in general? I’ve read that while they’re really old and don’t have the tech of newer more expensive irons, the gap in tech isn’t that huge of a deal for a beginner with an index as high as mine. These are the clubs: http://www.golfreview.com/product/golf-clubs/irons/cobra/ss-i-oversized.html

Edited by Quietus

The technology today is quite improved from even just 10 years ago. That being said if you’re just liking the price and you’ve hit them and like them then have at it. No, using these clubs won’t make upgrading to a new set any harder. However, don’t expect these OI to give you remarkable difference in ease of play. Golf is hard. No club is going to change that. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Are Oversized Irons a Crutch?

IMHO, you're hitting a round ball with a flat piece of metal and wanting it to go straight, draw or fade, that is a hard thing to do! Use whatever club you think will help you do that, over sized or not. I like hybrids, always hit them well, so I bought a set of Cleveland HB Launchers which are all based on a hybrid design. I hit them well and don't really care what people think of the clubs, they work for me.

• Like 3

• Administrator

To answer the title… yes. They are.

But so what?

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

35 minutes ago, cooke119 said:

IMHO, you're hitting a round ball with a flat piece of metal and wanting it to go straight, draw or fade, that is a hard thing to do! Use whatever club you think will help you do that, over sized or not

At a certain point super game improvement irons are a hinderance to the golfer. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

The real question here ought to be whether or not using oversized/super game improvement irons would actually impact the improvement of a beginning/high-handicap golfer.

Seems to me that if you struggle with the clubs that are supposed to be easier to hit, what are you missing out on?

What is wrong about using a crutch?  It isn't like you will forget how to walk.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Maybe I can't hit well enough to tell, but I can't really tell much of a difference. I use titleist ap2 irons, but I also have a couple of Ping game improvement irons. I hit the Pings worse IMO.

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 9
3-Wood: Titleist 917F2 16.5 
Irons: Titleist AP3 4-Pw

Wedges: 48,52,56 Titleist vokey
Putter: Scotty Select Newport 

On 8/11/2019 at 6:53 PM, Piz said:

What is wrong about using a crutch?  It isn't like you will forget how to walk.  

Seriously, using the correct medical equipment to assist one in walking is just common sense.  One risks a fall injury by improvising with any random object like a broom handle or an over sized golfing iron.

Edited by rehmwa
  • Like 2

Bill - 

No such thing as a bigger sweet spot.There is only one sweet spot on any club and they are all the same size( about the size of a dime). The bigger heads allow a little more contact on a bad swing ( it will still be a bad shot). Some golfers including me find big heads harder to square at impact. Most novice golfers swing to violently to square the face and hit the sweet spot. Just get a set of irons that look good to your eye at set up and practice smooth swinging with good contact. 

On 8/11/2019 at 6:28 PM, iacas said:

To answer the title… yes. They are.

But so what?

Yep. But if you're a "crippled" golfer, maybe you need them? When I was learning to play golf, we played the game with irons, and woods, whose heads were absolutely tiny compared to today's equipment. Somehow, we learned to hit these clubs. Or, we didn't! Back then my eyesight, reflexes, and strength were far superior to what they are today. These days I need crutches!

On 8/11/2019 at 5:32 PM, saevel25 said:

At a certain point super game improvement irons are a hinderance to the golfer. 

Maybe when I get to a 3.6 HCP...In the next life. Best, Marv 😎

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

On 8/9/2019 at 8:50 PM, Quietus said:

I’m a typical weekend golfer and the highest I’ve ever scored is more than 30 shots over par. I play just to have fun and reaching bogey golf would already be amazing. I’m currently using a beginner Callaway Strata set I got 2 years ago but because one of the irons broke, I’m thinking of replacing the irons with another second hand set. A friend of mine is selling a King Cobra SSI Oversized iron set. From what I’ve read, they’re great for beginners with a huge sweet spot. That being said, these reviews are almost 10 years old and the clubs came out even before that. 

Two questions:

1. How big of a crutch are oversized irons? Will they make it impossible for me to eventually switch to normal irons in the future? I’ve read two opposing sides to the debate of using GIR/Oversized clubs so I wanted to post the question here.

2. How are these clubs in general? I’ve read that while they’re really old and don’t have the tech of newer more expensive irons, the gap in tech isn’t that huge of a deal for a beginner with an index as high as mine. These are the clubs: http://www.golfreview.com/product/golf-clubs/irons/cobra/ss-i-oversized.html

If it helps, use it! Most normal people will want you to score better unless they’re playing against you for $$ ... then they’d say anything to you to make you slip up like  “you’re cheating because those club swing themselves” or something literal and ridiculous 🤪

The last time I heard someone complain was at a driving range whereupon Karma came to bite the perpetrator and he shanked every other ball... kind of amusing to watch. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, tinker said:

No such thing as a bigger sweet spot.There is only one sweet spot on any club and they are all the same size( about the size of a dime). The bigger heads allow a little more contact on a bad swing ( it will still be a bad shot). Some golfers including me find big heads harder to square at impact. Most novice golfers swing to violently to square the face and hit the sweet spot. Just get a set of irons that look good to your eye at set up and practice smooth swinging with good contact. 

Actually, the "sweet spot" is much smaller than that. It's the true center of gravity, which is about the size of a pinhead! The GI clubs are designed by moving some of the mass of the clubhead away from the center. This is to resist twisting on off center hits, out toward the toe or toward the heel. Much like a putter with heel and toe weighting. 

When I got good at the game, 40+ years ago, it was all musclebacks! Tiny little irons with most of the mass concentrated right behind the area of the sweet spot. If you could learn to hit those irons in the middle of the face, Oh! would the ball go far! 

33 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

Maybe when I get to a 3.6 HCP...In the next life. Best, Marv 😎

Yes! The question to be asked is "which" golfers might SGI clubs be a hindrance to? 

Edited by Buckeyebowman

11 hours ago, Lihu said:

If it helps, use it! Most normal people will want you to score better unless they’re playing against you for $$

Yeah...I played like a rotten tomato at two VG Michigan courses last week with my Cleveland SGI irons. Probably going to return to my SGI Mizunos to score better. I hit them very well yesterday, including the Fli-Hi hybrid-irons.  May need to get them adjusted for a little more upright though B/C I like to stand a bit closer to the ball. Thanks to all for understanding that a Very Senior high GHIN golfer may need to get help in the form of SGI clubs as well as instruction. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

21 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Seriously, using the correct medical equipment to assist one in walking is just common sense.  One risks a fall injury by improvising with any random object like a broom handle or an over sized golfing iron.

Anyway, an oversized golfing iron is much more of a walking stick than a crutch.

On a serious note, if someone came up with a club with the head the size of a dinner plate and it turned me into a golfing god i'd play it, even if i did look a complete bell-end using it.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

9 hours ago, RussUK said:

Anyway, an oversized golfing iron is much more of a walking stick than a crutch.

On a serious note, if someone came up with a club with the head the size of a dinner plate and it turned me into a golfing god i'd play it, even if i did look a complete bell-end using it.

Never heard the term "bell-end" before. What does it mean?

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Never heard the term "bell-end" before. What does it mean?

Just another way (British way) to say looking stupid or foolish.

Gus
---------------

Note: This thread is 1720 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!