IGNORED

Gary Player Cheating?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He seems to clean the sole at 0:12, so seems aware that soil was removed. From my perspective he should have penalized himself for the breach once he figured he shoveled some loose soil out of the way. 

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Seems like trying to invent a way to penalize somebody. He wasn't in a hazard area and the ball didn't move. So who cares? 

agree 100%  lordy, must be a slow day.  

12 minutes ago, SG11118 said:

This is the last hole of a tournament he won by four strokes.  It doesn't make sense that he was intentionally cheating.  It doesn't seem like it even registered to him that this may have been illegal.  

Right?  I can't imagine even the cheatiest of cheaters would do something so blatant out in the open like that knowing how many eyeballs are on them.  I also think @Big C makes a good point about him not being a lefty.

14 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Right?  I can't imagine even the cheatiest of cheaters would do something so blatant out in the open like that knowing how many eyeballs are on them.  I also think @Big C makes a good point about him not being a lefty.

I imagine it was inadvertent, but did he move loose sand or soil which could improve his lie?  If so, he breached the rule in effect at that time, even if it was accidental.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

30 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

If you want to defend the action and say he didn’t blatantly cheat that’s fine. The point is the action he did in the video is clearly against the rules. Woosnam didn’t purposefully carry an extra driver, DJ didn’t purposefully  ground his club in a bunker ( he didn’t even know he was in a bunker). The list can go on of players who broke a rule without intent and called themselves on it or were called out by an official/player. GP improved  his lie. That’s against the rules. Period. And that’s common sense. 

Does it look done with intent to me? Yes. Either way he performed an action that broke a rule intentionally or not.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Isn't he Lexi Thompson's grandpa? :-P

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Isn't he Lexi Thompson's grandpa? :-P

I was waiting for this or Cella Choi’s 😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

There was an officially standing right there. I would think he would have called it, or at least asked about it. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

8 hours ago, krupa said:

No we don't!  What was it!?

Something along the lines of "Gary, we're sick of this shit." when Player improved his lie for the umpteenth time.

7 hours ago, Big C said:

And not only did he gain no advantage, there was really no advantage to be gained.

Are you serious? How about the advantage of not having to chop down on the ball and being able to take a smooth backswing. That's why the rule exists.

7 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I care about common sense. Not self righteous zealotry. 

Meaning rules don't matter for you. Correct? Cheating is OK if "no advantage is gained"? - a notion that makes as much sense as your disregard for the rules.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I can’t imagine a rule that would’ve allowed that. Picking up a loose impediment is one thing, but like you said he was in a sandy area and didn’t move a ‘loose impediment’ he just plain made a clearing for his back stroke. I vote he cheated. Maybe a poll?

Please, no.

You'd  have to include options like

• I don't think he even touched the ground on his practice backswing and
  • it was a "brain fart" and
  • I don't think he meant to do it so it's OK and
  • it's a "first world problem,

going by previous discussions where the evidence is staring you in the face, a la Lexi.

32 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Please, no.

You'd  have to include options like

• I don't think he even touched the ground on his practice backswing and
  • it was a "brain fart" and
  • I don't think he meant to do it so it's OK and
  • it's a "first world problem,

going by previous discussions where the evidence is staring you in the face, a la Lexi.

Well the first one would be reserved for utter morons. There’s no question if he touched the ground. Personally  I think he knew he did something wrong and played the whole ‘ can you keep it down for a minute’ to divert attention.

Edited by Vinsk
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Who knows if he cheated or not? We all seem to agree he broke the rules for sure. 🧐

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
9 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I care about common sense. Not self righteous zealotry. 

No, it's about whether he breached a rule or not.

If you accidentally move your ball in the fairway and it rolls, it's not enough to say "it rolled into a worse spot, and it's unintentional, so just play it." It's a penalty and you have to replace it.

9 hours ago, Big C said:

Don’t underestimate how much your hand eye coordination deteriorates on a lefty shot. I have whiffed balls trying to hit them lefty before. It’s not out of the question to think his practice takeaway might be a bit too low on a opposite handed shot.

That's fine for the "intentional cheating" argument… though at the same time, he's a top golfer, and this is basically the follow-through of a putting stroke, so I still think that action was intentional.

9 hours ago, Big C said:

And not only did he gain no advantage, there was really no advantage to be gained.

That does not compute. He moved a ton of crap behind his ball, letting him get on the back of the ball cleanly.

9 hours ago, Big C said:

Even if he dug a 6 inch trench behind his ball, he still has to make a clean ball first strike, which he did.

It was made a helluva lot easier by moving all the crap out of the way.

7 hours ago, SG11118 said:

This is the last hole of a tournament he won by four strokes.  It doesn't make sense that he was intentionally cheating.  It doesn't seem like it even registered to him that this may have been illegal.  

Maybe he just cheated so often (see again, Tom Watson) that he didn't think anything of it. See again, Lexi Thompson.

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

There was an officially standing right there. I would think he would have called it, or at least asked about it. 

Officials like Slugger White rationalize not penalizing guys all the time. See his comments on slow play. See how often PGA Tour players are allowed to get away with some pretty ridiculous things. They know who ultimately signs their paychecks.

And… the guy was facing away, and he may have just been a walking scorer or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, Lihu said:

These players are so good, he definitely made it LOOK like an accident 👀, but was it that or was it on purpose? Was there definitely intent? Or does that not matter?

37 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Who knows if he cheated or not? We all seem to agree he broke the rules for sure. 🧐

After watching the video a few more times then hearing him asking people to hold it down makes me think he cheated.

Ironically, the people asked to hold it down were probably expressing their outrage of seeing all that dirt flying back 🤪😂🤪

He should have taken the self imposed penalties then won by a stroke 😜

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I don't see how it's not a breach, though the line between sweeping pebbles out of that area and sand out of that area does get fuzzy at times.  But that looked like a pretty good shovel load.  It sure looked like he did it on purpose, but of course there would be "plausible deniability".  It sure looked like his first "practice swing" as meant to scoop the sand away, interestingly after that, he never hit the ground until the actual swing.  The sad part is, I don't the the sand was really an issue for the swing he was making, there 

5 minutes ago, jlbos83 said:

I don't see how it's not a breach, though the line between sweeping pebbles out of that area and sand out of that area does get fuzzy at times.  But that looked like a pretty good shovel load.  It sure looked like he did it on purpose, but of course there would be "plausible deniability".  It sure looked like his first "practice swing" as meant to scoop the sand away, interestingly after that, he never hit the ground until the actual swing.  The sad part is, I don't the the sand was really an issue for the swing he was making, there 

Yeah, why people do things like that while under pressure is truly perplexing. I don’t think he even thought the dirt needed moving either but did it “just in case” then after doing it didn’t assess himself the penalty.

My guess is people were gasping at seeing it, whereupon he had the wherewithal to tell them to hold it down, “please”. I guess that’s why the video was in the archives.

Honestly, he could have won it cleaner...

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1745 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!