IGNORED

Fivesomes on a Weekend Morning

FlyingAce
Note: This thread is 961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Lol! I was just about to make ‘Carl’ the official ‘that guy’ but then I thought wait..there’s a Carl here.....

Carl is always that guy with the 80+/- IQ in the movies. He was also the greens keeper in Caddyshack.

4 hours ago, djake said:

To clear my conscious I once again apologize for Carl to all of you

It is funny. I am used to it.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

Carl is always that guy with the 80+/- IQ in the movies. He was also the greens keeper in Caddyshack.

It is funny. I am used to it.

Another famous Carl....

947C2F60-D327-4C0D-BADC-5DA3DCDD31D7.gif.97650371b9920c75464bb971d018b8f6.gif

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I play a lot of solo rounds or as 2 with my buddy. He laughs at how stressed or peeved I get at slow players in front. He always reminds me that patience is a virtue, which calms me down for approximately 2.4 minutes, sometimes less. I just don't understand the people in front that take 5 minutes to play their 4 shots (one per player), then drive backwards, then go back to where they played the shot from, then drive off near the woods, and then finally move out of range. They always seem to rush on the tee box though, because they hit all 4-8 drives in like 2 minutes while I am putting and right as I pull up, they speed off, leaving no chance to even attempt to ask to play through. I can only imagine how infuriated I would be if I saw a 5 ball out on the course. Did I miss anything, @topoftheline89

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Frustrating topic: when I see a course that clearly states no 5somes, I think a bit higher of that place. When they allow it, I go there less, but this course next to where I use to live would always have club play (various golf clubs by association, not by home course and club) in the morning. Last time my wife and I drive up to the on deck area, and one guy ahead of us says I hope your ready for a long day, I replied why? He states we are 6 groups ahead of you, and I reply well as long as everyone sticks to the group ahead of there will be no long day, just make sure your first group knows their responsibility. 

In the end we finished in 4:15

Edited by iSank
Added time info

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

13 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I play a lot of solo rounds or as 2 with my buddy. He laughs at how stressed or peeved I get at slow players in front. He always reminds me that patience is a virtue, which calms me down for approximately 2.4 minutes, sometimes less. I just don't understand the people in front that take 5 minutes to play their 4 shots (one per player), then drive backwards, then go back to where they played the shot from, then drive off near the woods, and then finally move out of range. They always seem to rush on the tee box though, because they hit all 4-8 drives in like 2 minutes while I am putting and right as I pull up, they speed off, leaving no chance to even attempt to ask to play through. I can only imagine how infuriated I would be if I saw a 5 ball out on the course. Did I miss anything, @topoftheline89

Sadly, the conduct you mention has nothing to do with the number of players in the group.  But, good grief, I understand that exact situation!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

18 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Sadly, the conduct you mention has nothing to do with the number of players in the group.  But, good grief, I understand that exact situation!

Definitely true. It's baffling and it always rustles my jimmies. I don't think I would have a problem with a 5 ball on the course if they kept with pace. It might be odd to look at, but if they are keeping up then more power to them! I'm actually surprised I have never seen one as I run the same tracks as @mcanadiens and he seems to see it often enough.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

8 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I'm actually surprised I have never seen one as I run the same tracks as @mcanadiens and he seems to see it often enough.

I see it the most when I attempt to play Kittyhawk at times when no starters are on duty (which at least half the time). Community not so much. 

Rather particularly, there is a group of people (Japanese, not that the race really matters) that will play the Eagle as a five or even six anytime they can get away with it. Playing more within the Association this year, I've probably avoided them more than I did in the past. But being behind them is a terrible experience. Now that the season is winding down, I fear I'll see them more often unless I relegate myself to the Hawk.

That's not to say they are the only ones. Play the courses on Wagner Ford Rd. long enough and you'll see everything.

My son and I played a public course a couple weeks ago and we ran into this. A group of 5 had the tee time right before ours, the starter told them they couldn’t play as a 5 so 2 guys teed off and the starter had the threesome tee off behind them which bothered me a bit because that was our tee time and I didn’t see why they should get our time simply because they brought too many players. Especially considering how the threesome played. It was pretty obvious that they didn’t play much golf, 20 yd drives, 5 putts, multiple balls OB and if they didn’t like their shot, they would drop another ball and hit again, plus they would not let us play thru. Thankfully, they all decided to grab some food at the turn so we went straight to #10 and teed off.

front 9: 2:20

back 9: 1:30.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

23 minutes ago, jetsknicks1 said:

My son and I played a public course a couple weeks ago and we ran into this. A group of 5 had the tee time right before ours, the starter told them they couldn’t play as a 5 so 2 guys teed off and the starter had the threesome tee off behind them which bothered me a bit because that was our tee time and I didn’t see why they should get our time simply because they brought too many players. Especially considering how the threesome played. It was pretty obvious that they didn’t play much golf, 20 yd drives, 5 putts, multiple balls OB and if they didn’t like their shot, they would drop another ball and hit again, plus they would not let us play thru. Thankfully, they all decided to grab some food at the turn so we went straight to #10 and teed off.

I'm guessing what you didn't say is that the group joined up on the second hole out of view of the pro shop...

4 hours ago, jetsknicks1 said:

Not let you play through? I’ve actually never seen any triple bogey player not let someone play through? Good they had lunch...but 2:20 9s are pretty common here. It’s really packed. They didn’t play that slowly...

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

4 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I'm guessing what you didn't say is that the group joined up on the second hole out of view of the pro shop...

Nope. The twosome left those guys behind. They were three twenty somethings who you could just tell, were out there to mess around and they would make sure to tee off just before we got to the box. I don't think they knew anything about etiquette.

13 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Not let you play through? I’ve actually never seen any triple bogey player not let someone play through? Good they had lunch...but 2:20 9s are pretty common here. It’s really packed. They didn’t play that slowly...

2:20 seems like an eternity to us lol. We always try to get one of the first tee times specifically because we tend to play fast and I’ve found that most people who go out that early also tend to move along pretty quickly.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

2 hours ago, jetsknicks1 said:

Nope. The twosome left those guys behind. They were three twenty somethings who you could just tell, were out there to mess around and they would make sure to tee off just before we got to the box. I don't think they knew anything about etiquette.

Next to spilling wine that is the most frustrating thing in the world... the slow group exiting the tee just before you get there... wanting to beg them if you could possible play through.  Which they wouldn't understand anyway.

3 hours ago, Lihu said:

Kill me now

Played as a 5 today.  We hit the ball a lot of times and finished in 3:25.  We played behind a 3-some that went off 15 minutes ahead of us.  We caught them on 3 and they picked up the pace just enough so we didn’t run over them.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

3 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Kill me now

Played as a 5 today.  We hit the ball a lot of times and finished in 3:25.  We played behind a 3-some that went off 15 minutes ahead of us.  We caught them on 3 and they picked up the pace just enough so we didn’t run over them.  

Someone needs to do a cartoon with a guy in an asphalt roller flattening the foursome in front of him asking, "Mind if I play through?"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Someone needs to do a cartoon with a guy in an asphalt roller flattening the foursome in front of him asking, "Mind if I play through?"

This might be appropriate?

6FF0AD06-6F75-4101-9C19-BC3493F1754B.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 9/25/2019 at 8:54 AM, FlyingAce said:

What do you think of fivesomes? Should it be allowed, especially on weekend mornings? 

My club allows fivesomes (ride or walk) and lately these fivesome groups have been getting all the early morning tee times. The proshop did not put the fivesomes together - these are players who requested to play as a group. I think they slow down the pace of play and cause bottlenecks when there are four/threesomes playing behind. 

What would you do if your club allows this? Would you say something to management? What would you say?

Find another place to golf ?

Locally, we have cases of 5-some, however, they are required to have golf carts ( minimum 3, sometimes 5 carts ) and these are seasoned golfers whom would not slow down the pace of play.

I guess they used to have more golfers in their group but a few passed on and the remaining group members like to golf together.  Golf shop knows them and knowing that they were not going to slow down the play, thus allowing the 5-some.

If your golf club allow the 5-some walking and they had been slowing down the playing pace, bring this up to the management, if the golf club is a private venue, bring this up to the board of directors and gather support for the annual meeting to ban this practice.

On the other hands, if they have not been slowing down the pace of play, personally I'll have no issue with a 5-some on the golf course.  I had seen a 2 or 3-some slowing down the pace of play.

Edited by Release
  • Thumbs Up 1

Normally, I’m a fairly fast player, as I can get round my home course in around three hours walking. Which is why, when I walked up to the 6th tee and saw a fivesome coming off of the 8th green (they’re adjacent to each other), I texted my assistant golf coach who was working the pro shop. I hate the idea of fivesomes, slow or fast.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Note: This thread is 961 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!