IGNORED

Am I Too Old to Think of Professional Golf?

Buck Schotta
Note: This thread is 1665 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well I’m 56 and still hit my drives 285 to 300 yards, I hit my 6 iron 106 my wedge 136 to 140 consistently. Been playing all my life and had a chance to go pro at 16 and chose to work and not go to school. I was a scratch golfer until 30 and then kids, work, life and so on took over. Currently I play maybe 2 times a month or less and still shoot 78 to 83 and sometimes lower. My friends say I should practice and take it to the next level. They say I have what it takes including the passion for the game literally. Is it to late at this stage of the game or should I just can the thought. What do you all think? I’m a big boy and can handle candid responses. Thanks 

8 minutes ago, Buck Schotta said:

Well I’m 56 and still hit my drives 285 to 300 yards, I hit my 6 iron 106 my wedge 136 to 140 consistently. Been playing all my life and had a chance to go pro at 16 and chose to work and not go to school. I was a scratch golfer until 30 and then kids, work, life and so on took over. Currently I play maybe 2 times a month or less and still shoot 78 to 83 and sometimes lower. My friends say I should practice and take it to the next level. They say I have what it takes including the passion for the game literally. Is it to late at this stage of the game or should I just can the thought. What do you all think? I’m a big boy and can handle candid responses. Thanks 

What is your tournament history like? Have you ever won anything significant?

80162257_XS.jpg

There’s no telling how many middle-age amateur golfers have watched a Champions Tour event and wondered if they have what it takes to be the next Jay Sigel. The Champions Tour, known as the Senior PGA Tour until...

Here's one of the regional qualifier results from last year:

Those are some good golf scores.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I won some tournaments when I was a kid at my home course but nothing significant. Haven’t had the time or the money to do much in the way of progress or exposure over the last 10 years. Family health issues (not mine) , economy. I play with friends mostly and make small wagers to keep it interesting. Just love the game don’t play as much as I would like but still have a respectable game given my limited time on the range or course. Just keep hearing from my golf buddies the same thing and finally thought to myself why not!!8CA09EEC-2DCD-43A7-9CB7-9F684F397F7D.thumb.jpeg.232daa903c574021763029af106b631d.jpeg

• iacas changed the title to Am I Too Old to Think of Professional Golf?
  • Administrator

Since you list your handicap index as 10… yes, you're too old.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

...and not nearly good enough.   ;-)

You can still have a bunch of fun playing competitive golf though.  If you haven’t already, I highly recommend checking out the Florida State Golf Association.  They sponsor a bunch of one and two day tournaments for us mere mortals, and of course, any number of higher level amateur and open championships.   :beer:

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

19 minutes ago, David in FL said:

...and not nearly good enough.   ;-)

You can still have a bunch of fun playing competitive golf though.  If you haven’t already, I highly recommend checking out the Florida State Golf Association.  They sponsor a bunch of one and two day tournaments for us mere mortals, and of course, any number of higher level amateur and open championships.   :beer:

While I think Dave is likely correct, if you are seriously thinking about it then practice and play some local am events and some higher level state am events. If you win there, then I think you can decide if you want to take a crack at the Sr. Tour (err I mean Champions). If nothing else you will get better.

Players play, tough players win!

14 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

While I think Dave is likely correct, if you are seriously thinking about it then practice and play some local am events and some higher level state am events. If you win there, then I think you can decide if you want to take a crack at the Sr. Tour (err I mean Champions). If nothing else you will get better.

If you can’t compete with Fred Couples, Brad Faxon, and Retief Goosen today, you’re not likely to be able to compete with the late 40-somethings (like Phil Mickelson) on the PGA Tour that will be playing on The Champions Tour in a couple of years...  ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Do you want to be a golf pro or a pro golfer? My instructor got his class A at 56 - was a scratch golfer for most his life and have played numerous tournaments until he made this career change. He teaches 4 days a week and plays golf/tournaments the rest of the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Buck Schotta said:

Obviously, You are a long long LOOOONNNNNGGG shot to make the Champions Tour. But if its in your heart. I say go for it. What's the worst that can happen? If you don't make it, you're no worse off than you are now. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

52 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

You could try making money on the golf course the old-fashioned way. ... Hustling people.

I know a few older guys that practically made a living hustling golf. I got some of my first golf tips from a Argentinian guy who used to hustle alot at bethpage. Made a living from playing big money games on the east coast (talking like 5 figure money matches) from everywhere to winged foot down to colonial. Heard a story he took 100k from brad faxon at due process back in the 90s. But those types of guys are definitely a dying breed. If not completely extinct. I understand it was more common back in the 70's and 80's. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, David in FL said:

If you can’t compete with Fred Couples, Brad Faxon, and Retief Goosen today, you’re not likely to be able to compete with the late 40-somethings (like Phil Mickelson) on the PGA Tour that will be playing on The Champions Tour in a couple of years...  ;-)

Without practice and getting better, as a 10 handicap he can't compete in the local city championship (well may 2nd flight)

Players play, tough players win!

Find a qualified swing guru. Work with her/him, and on your own to get your hdcp back down to scratch or better.

Once you have that hdcp consistently low. Play state, and regional tournies.If you place well in those tourneys, then play what ever qualifying tournaments the senior tour uses. If you can't qualify, then your game is not good enough.

Being "too old" is not a problem. It's not having a enough game, that keeps folks off the various tours.

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

On 9/30/2019 at 11:04 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

I know a few older guys that practically made a living hustling golf. I got some of my first golf tips from a Argentinian guy who used to hustle alot at bethpage. Made a living from playing big money games on the east coast (talking like 5 figure money matches) from everywhere to winged foot down to colonial. Heard a story he took 100k from brad faxon at due process back in the 90s. But those types of guys are definitely a dying breed. If not completely extinct. I understand it was more common back in the 70's and 80's. 

As another Argentinian at least half of the stories he told you are probably fake.

For the OT...don´t listen to your friends. They don´t know anything about what it takes to be a Senior Pro Golfer.

At my home course, every time I shoot in the 60´s someone ask me why i didn´t go pro... they just don´t know how good PGA tour players are and how hard their courses are. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2019 at 2:00 PM, p1n9183 said:

As another Argentinian at least half of the stories he told you are probably fake.

For the OT...don´t listen to your friends. They don´t know anything about what it takes to be a Senior Pro Golfer.

At my home course, every time I shoot in the 60´s someone ask me why i didn´t go pro... they just don´t know how good PGA tour players are and how hard their courses are. 

I dont know if the faxon take is true or not, but i wouldn't doubt it. They guy was legit. 

Note: This thread is 1665 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!