IGNORED

How Much Can I Dig in My Feet in the Sand?

Cantankerish
Note: This thread is 1629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I put my third shot on the par 5 5th in this front greenside bunker today. Forget for the moment about the other ball. Another player just happened to do the same thing...not important.  But you can see the green in the background (and Kevin's legs).  I am a confident sand player, but this one puts the ball below my feet, and I want to take my standard stroke.  So I dug my feet waaaaayyyy in deep until I was about level with the ball. I hit it nice, raked it out, and got up and down.  But now I am wondering if that digging with my feet is legal.  Is it?

IMG_1913.thumb.JPG.22df6fed6d02e0924c7d9ea4419849a2.JPG

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Players dig their feet for stability all the time. If you’re kicking around like a dog that’s one thing...you’re fine. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

45 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

I am a confident sand player, but this one puts the ball below my feet, and I want to take my standard stroke.  So I dug my feet waaaaayyyy in deep until I was about level with the ball. I hit it nice, raked it out, and got up and down.  But now I am wondering if that digging with my feet is legal.  Is it?

It's hard to determine your definition of "waaaaayyyy in deep" but it sounds to me like you were in breach of Rule 8.1a. Just based on your description of the shot you took, you didn't play the course as you found it but altered it to suit the shot you wanted to play.

8.1a/6 – Altering Surface of Ground to Build Stance Is Not Permitted

A player is allowed to place his or her feet firmly in taking a stance, but is in breach of Rule 8.1a if he or she alters the ground where the stance will be taken if altering the ground improves the area of intended stance.

Examples of altering the ground that are likely to improve conditions affecting the stroke include:

• Knocking down sand on the side of a bunker with a foot to create a level area to stand on.

• Excessively digging feet into soft ground to gain a firmer foundation for the stance.

A player is in breach of Rule 8.1a as soon as he or she has improved conditions by altering ground conditions to build a stance and cannot avoid a penalty by attempting to restore the ground conditions to their original state.

Your ball was originally going to be below your feet, but by digging in, you gave yourself a level lie. You improved the conditions affecting your stroke.

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I remember the rule from my childhood... if you dig your feet in and reach China you've gone too far and it's illegal.

I know you're being facetious but this is the Rules of Golf sub forum, so it would be helpful if you had something of substance to add to this discussion.

Being that digging your feet in a bunker to reach China is literally impossible, if we took your comment at face value it would mean a golfer could dig as deep as he or she wanted.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

55 minutes ago, billchao said:

It's hard to determine your definition of "waaaaayyyy in deep" but it sounds to me like you were in breach of Rule 8.1a. Just based on your description of the shot you took, you didn't play the course as you found it but altered it to suit the shot you wanted to play.

Your ball was originally going to be below your feet, but by digging in, you gave yourself a level lie. You improved the conditions affecting your stroke.

I know you're being facetious but this is the Rules of Golf sub forum, so it would be helpful if you had something of substance to add to this discussion.

Being that digging your feet in a bunker to reach China is literally impossible, if we took your comment at face value it would mean a golfer could dig as deep as he or she wanted.

I don’t agree here Bill. Now of course you’re right in that we don’t know what ‘waaay’ down is but we’ve seen those times where pros are in the side and they’ve dug in like hell and reached the concrete/tarp then claim they can’t get a solid stance and get a drop. And a common routine on the bottom of the bunker even is: get to ball...shuffle feet...check target ....shuffle feet...practice swing....shuffle feet...Swing. Unless he was really going to town I wouldn’t call this a breach.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Well, I typically dig in to get a good stance, and I think one could argue that I did not dig in categorically more than some pros do.  But I INTENTIONALLY dug in to get level.  It sure seems like I was in breach of this rule.  Even though the other guys thought nothing of it, I know it.

"A player is allowed to place his or her feet firmly in taking a stance, ..."

That doesn't sound like all you did

" ...but is in breach of Rule 8.1a if he or she alters the ground where the stance will be taken ..."

Well you certainly did that

" .... if altering the ground improves the area of intended stance.

If it didn't, why did you do it? 

Certainly seems to fit the bill for a breach 

What the pros may or may not do means nothing, witness tamping grass down behind ball, leaving ball as backstop

• Informative 1

8 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Of course my comment was in jest.  It was a follow-up to my prior comment which apparently nailed it.  C'mon, a little levity on the forum should be allowed.  Golf is not that serious a game.

That is why they invented emojis. :-P

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

But I INTENTIONALLY dug in to get level. 

There’s your answer.

• Upvote 1

If you read that rule literally, just walking into the bunker and leaving footprints is a breach.. Theres nothing in there that specifies how deep or shallow you're allowed to go.  But if youre dug in past your ankle to something... that would be.....unusual.... When I dig in, i dig my trail leg on an angle on my instep for stability and to help me stay forwards a little better. Some asshat i was playing with in a US open qualifier in a long time ago said i was building a stance when i did that. In the tent the rules official said "no i didnt" and then i gave him the "u cant see me" wave and he cowered back to his car in shame after shooting a dreadful 80-something. But in cantakerish's case, im confused why he choose to do that. He probably made the shot harder...

Edited by Groucho Valentine

Out here, in the desert southwest, we have little fear of "over digging" our feet in a bunker. At least 1/2 if not more of the courses I frequent, the bunkers could always use more sand, to cover the hard pan underneath.

Plus, they irrigate bunkers out here, then allow them to sun bake. Some develope a pretty thick, crusty surface, if not maintained properly. We treat these as "thin lies", and we can't dig-in very deep. 

I am pretty sure with the usga, there is no depth limit for digging in. The other question is; why would anyone want to dig in so deep, the sand would get into their shoes...A self imposed limit, so to speak. 

Also, as a side note, if one did dig-in deep enough to reach China, they wouldn't. Going that deep, from America, assuming alot, would actually find the bottom of the Indian Ocean. 

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

17 minutes ago, Patch said:

Also, as a side note, if one did dig-in deep enough to reach China, they wouldn't. Going that deep, from America, assuming alot, would actually find the bottom of the Indian Ocean. 

😄

34 minutes ago, Patch said:

Going that deep, from America, assuming alot, would actually find the bottom of the Indian Ocean. 

The Earth is flat. And low scores are all about the short game so good bunker play is a must.

• Like 1

• iacas changed the title to How Much Can I Dig in My Feet in the Sand?
  • Administrator
On 10/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

If you read that rule literally, just walking into the bunker and leaving footprints is a breach.

No, it doesn't.

"A player is allowed to place his or her feet firmly in taking a stance…" allows for a little shuffling of "top sand" to get to a bit of a firmer base. You just can't go below that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!