IGNORED

Getting to Scratch in 18 Months?

golflover123
Note: This thread is 1571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• iacas changed the title to Getting to Scratch in 18 Months?

Of course it is possible, but whether you can achieve it is a question nobody can answer. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to golf, and welcome to TheSandTrap.  To improve as quickly as possible, and to learn the best possible foundation, you should get good instruction, and practice what your instructor suggests that you practice.  Natural athleticism will certainly help, but you're really unlikely to get to scratch on your own.  Good luck, and have fun!

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Is it possible?  Yes.

Will you?  Given that less than 2% of golfers ever achieve scratch or better, even after years of playing, it’s EXTREMELY unlikely.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Yeah, scratch in 18 months is doable. However, I think there is going to be alot of natural "golf talent" involved in the individual achieving scratch play. 

What that natural golf talent might consist of, I have no idea...lol

I can see a new to the game amateur golfer breaking 90, even 80 in 18 months. But, even that would take a lot of dedicated practice, and play time. I say this, because I have actually seen it done by several individuals. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

11 hours ago, FlyingAce said:

Anything is possible. How long is a little bit ago when you started golfing? And what is a lot of time to play now? Daily?

i play daily i hit about 500 min balls day i go my handicapped about 4-5 months ago and i have a coach 

With a healthy helping of god given talent and a whole lot of hard work it's possible. It took me about 7 years to get to scratch I believe. The first 4-5 years of that were spent basically living at a golf course.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

15 hours ago, golflover123 said:

i play daily i hit about 500 min balls day i go my handicapped about 4-5 months ago and i have a coach 

How long does it take to hit 500 balls?  And are you actually concentrating on something specific on each and every ball you hit?  You might benefit by hitting fewer balls and having a specific thought or goal for each one that you hit.  .

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

I dislike being a wet blanket, but it is highly unlikely someone would  go from start to scratch golf in 18 months. There are so many things that have to go absolutely perfect to get there I find it near impossible. that being said, good luck in your efforts I hope you get down into single digits the first 12 months. 

You might want to check out the podcast "Chasing Scratch". This year will be season 3 so you can see where they are in their goal. These guys do have jobs, families and responsibilities so they only get out 1 or 2 times per week, so it is a different scenario, but fun to listen to.

I think that if you are putting in the time, and have a coach that works well with you, there is no reason that you can't get low in that time frame. On top of that, it sounds like you are young so that helps as well

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

If you can devote substantial time every day to practice and playing then it will be possible.  With good instruction you can get down into the single digits fairly quickly because once you start hitting the ball well and eliminating big misses, its not hard to do that.  The real work comes in when you have to start shaving off one or two strokes a round when you are already playing amazing golf.  Those last few strokes - the difference between low single digit and scratch - are a real beast because your margin for error becomes so small.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lookylookitzadam said:

If you can devote substantial time every day to practice and playing then it will be possible.  With good instruction you can get down into the single digits fairly quickly because once you start hitting the ball well and eliminating big misses, its not hard to do that.  The real work comes in when you have to start shaving off one or two strokes a round when you are already playing amazing golf.  Those last few strokes - the difference between low single digit and scratch - are a real beast because your margin for error becomes so small.

Each 1/2 of the handicap seems to take the same level of effort. In low single digits it is a struggle for every stroke and one laps can kill the round.

As a scratch golfer I can tell you it is difficult and time consuming, but not improbable to go from a beginner to a scratch golfer in under 2 years. My advice is focus from the green and work backwards. First, putt, putt, putt!  Emphasis on lag putting which will lead to fewer 3 putts. Next, short game around the greens (important because you will be missing a lot of them). You see the pattern. Good luck!

19 hours ago, Bargolfer said:

As a scratch golfer I can tell you it is difficult and time consuming, but not improbable to go from a beginner to a scratch golfer in under 2 years. My advice is focus from the green and work backwards. First, putt, putt, putt!  Emphasis on lag putting which will lead to fewer 3 putts. Next, short game around the greens (important because you will be missing a lot of them). You see the pattern. Good luck!

An awful lot of us will recommend exactly the opposite priority.  If you're not on or near the green in regulation, you have no chance of shooting even par.  The full swing is more difficult to improve, and takes more time to improve, so that should be the number one priority.  Short game and putting is important as well, everything will need work, but the full swing will require the most effort and time.

• Like 1

Dave

Note: This thread is 1571 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!