IGNORED

Anyone Use a 7-Wood?

Note: This thread is 1482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thinking about my clubs today, nothing else to do given it is 29* outside. I've struggled with my long irons last year so I thought about adding back a 7 wood, (I have an older Cobra S3 which matches my 5W and 3W). Anyone else playing a 7W and what yardage do you use it for?

I play a 7W, and it's my "go to" club in my bag. Just an easy club to hit in various situations. 

I sometimes use it for chips, pitches, longer approach shots, and out of fairway bunkers. Also tee shots on tighter fairways, par 3s, and getting out of fairway bunkers. 

It takes the place of my 3i & 4i. Also in a 3 club tourney it doubles as my putter. 

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a 7W and it is one of the club that I use most often. I mainly use it for my 150-160yd approach (on raised greens at my club). I have very high launch angles so the balls don’t roll much once it gets on the green. Sometimes I use it to bump out of the rough when there are trees nearby. I love my 7W so much that I have a backup in case this one breaks!

• Like 2

• iacas changed the title to Anyone Use a 7-Wood?

I am going into my ninth season with some sort of 4W + 7W combo.

The 7W goes about 190 yards: it is great out of rough, the fairway, and off the tee for longish par 3 holes. I also use a 4H that goes about 180-185, but launches lower.

Some pros who use the 7W:

• Jason Dufner carries a 21° Titleist 915F
  • Keith Mitchell carries a 21° Titleist TS2.
  • Scott Stallings carries a 21° Titleist 917F2.

Stallings said this in a Sept 2019 Golf Digest article (p. 36):

"My 7 wood is a more versatile than a utility iron. I can hit it high or low, and the height on full shots into par 5s is so helpful, especially when you're coming in from 240 to 260 yards. I've found a utility 2- or 3-iron doesn't stop very well from that distance."

Tommy Fleetwood, Bubba Watson and Marc Leishman also use a 7W on occasion.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

17 hours ago, WUTiger said:

I am going into my ninth season with some sort of 4W + 7W combo.

The 7W goes about 190 yards: it is great out of rough, the fairway, and off the tee for longish par 3 holes. I also use a 4H that goes about 180-185, but launches lower.

Some pros who use the 7W:

• Jason Dufner carries a 21° Titleist 915F
  • Keith Mitchell carries a 21° Titleist TS2.
  • Scott Stallings carries a 21° Titleist 917F2.

Stallings said this in a Sept 2019 Golf Digest article (p. 36):

"My 7 wood is a more versatile than a utility iron. I can hit it high or low, and the height on full shots into par 5s is so helpful, especially when you're coming in from 240 to 260 yards. I've found a utility 2- or 3-iron doesn't stop very well from that distance."

Tommy Fleetwood, Bubba Watson and Marc 

My 4H also launches lower with a lot of roll out, my 7W launches higher, I'm hoping it will hold the green better. 

Use a G30 7 wood for past 2 seasons. Love it for reliable 160-170 yards. As my swing speed slows (age 67), I've found the 7 wood and my 4 wood are much closer in distance but I seem to be more reliable with 7 wood.  

Just an older guy with 7 or 8  clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag

I use a Calloway 7 wood and picked up a cobra f7 9 early last year. I can't hit a 5 iron or 3 wood worth shit. I'll give up the distance for a little more consistency. 

On 1/31/2020 at 2:39 PM, tehuti said:

I have a Srixon 7 wood that is currently on the bench. It is a nice club but I am too inconsistent with it. 

How are you inconsistent with it, short, long, slice, fade? 

I hit my woods well, (3W, 5W and now the 7W) but of course I'll have an errant shot now and then.

I removed my 4I from the bag last year and bought me a PING G400 SFT 7W, and I love it!
It's wonderful to hit 180 yards without any effort. Straight and high.
I use it not only on long par 3s, but amazingly often each round.
I¨'m actually thinking about a 9W to replace my 5I....

It depends of course what kind of golfer you are.
I have a pretty average swing speed (95 mph with driver) and it is not getting better with age (56 years old now and 10 hcp). So increasingly difficult to hit long irons.

On 2/9/2020 at 3:31 PM, barnum1 said:

I removed my 4I from the bag last year and bought me a PING G400 SFT 7W, and I love it!
It's wonderful to hit 180 yards without any effort. Straight and high.
I use it not only on long par 3s, but amazingly often each round.
I¨'m actually thinking about a 9W to replace my 5I....

It depends of course what kind of golfer you are.
I have a pretty average swing speed (95 mph with driver) and it is not getting better with age (56 years old now and 10 hcp). So increasingly difficult to hit long irons.

Interesting, never thought about a 9W. I'll have to look into that.

Note: This thread is 1482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!