IGNORED

LIV Golf (Saudi PIF), "Mergers," and More

iacas

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It’s a race between junk e-mail and the LIV bots on Twitter at this point.  I’ve muted or blocked 4 of them because they keep showing up with slightly different names, and the username is generally pretty weird.   The latest one started with “Greg Norman is a man’s man and a man of the people”.   I stopped reading after that and after the bile went back down my throat, hit the mute button.

For context, I’ve had two different people tell me that they never liked Norman after they saw him blowing off children asking for autographs.  I understand that people have their bad days, but that’s pretty weird to hear the same story from two different people.  I never really heard much bad about Greg in the golf media world until LIV but my understanding is that he’s always been like that. 

—Adam

I like his clothing line. His golf hoodie is bad ass. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

19 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

It’s a race between junk e-mail and the LIV bots on Twitter at this point.  I’ve muted or blocked 4 of them because they keep showing up with slightly different names, and the username is generally pretty weird.   The latest one started with “Greg Norman is a man’s man and a man of the people”.   I stopped reading after that and after the bile went back down my throat, hit the mute button.

For context, I’ve had two different people tell me that they never liked Norman after they saw him blowing off children asking for autographs.  I understand that people have their bad days, but that’s pretty weird to hear the same story from two different people.  I never really heard much bad about Greg in the golf media world until LIV but my understanding is that he’s always been like that. 

Do you remember this?

Greg Norman Company today announced “The Search for Greg Norman’s Biggest Fan” wherein the grand prize winner will receive a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet and play golf with Norman.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

9 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

He did find his biggest fan. It was Greg Norman.

I would like to click the laugh response multiple times for this one.

• Funny 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Do you remember this?

Greg Norman Company today announced “The Search for Greg Norman’s Biggest Fan” wherein the grand prize winner will receive a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet and play golf with Norman.

@boogielicious beat me to the response!   Truly I can see Greg Norman using this to play with himself....

• Funny 1

—Adam

Another good tournament last weekend - not as good as Boston, but another close finish for the teams and competitive for the individual win too. 

Four aces are dominant!

• Administrator
4 hours ago, Moxley said:

Another good tournament last weekend - not as good as Boston, but another close finish for the teams and competitive for the individual win too.

I wouldn’t know. And whoopee. LIV fields stink. Even if you say they have 12 really good players… they’re beating guys you’ve never heard of or who proved they couldn’t make it on the PGA Tour.

It’s like LeBron playing a college team (and the college team winning sometimes). You have no real context for how well they played.

This week had no juice, either, because LIV juice is actually “who just left to join them?” Since nobody new joined them this week, there was so much less interest.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 9/17/2022 at 12:45 PM, imsys0042 said:

RIP Irony.

Meh to Phil.  The simple fact is that up until about the time Tiger showed up* there were no events, including majors, where substantially all the best players played.

*this didn't change because of Tiger, a lot of other things caused it.  I'm using that as a timepost.

7 hours ago, boogielicious said:

He did find his biggest fan. It was Greg Norman.

Strong the narcissism in this one is. - Yoda

7 hours ago, imsys0042 said:

@boogielicious beat me to the response!   Truly I can see Greg Norman using this to play with himself....

Hey, hey, it's a family board.  He had to do something with himself after Chrissy dumped him.

• Funny 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I’ve actually enjoyed watching the 1996 Masters lately. Just hilarious to watch GN collapse so epically. 

• Funny 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I’ve actually enjoyed watching the 1996 Masters lately. Just hilarious to watch GN collapse so epically. 

It sounds like you might have a bit too much time on your hands 🙃

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

If you go to the Oxford English Dictionary and look up “colossal douche” there’s a picture of Greg Norman.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

If you go to the Oxford English Dictionary and look up “colossal douche” there’s a picture of Greg Norman.

lord-and-lady-douchebag-snl.gif.2aef6647616aa70d2d327c6b045108e5.gif

• Funny 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator

If you isolate for a minimum of 4 events played, only 7 players have a stroke average in the 60s: DJ, Grace, Reed, Wolff, Ortiz, Louis and Gooch.

11 have a stroke average of 72 or worse!!! McDowell, Mickelson, Wiesberger, Piot, Swafford, Kaewkanjana, Ormsby, Norris, Pettit, Kim, Morgan.

Two courses have been par 70 and one par 71. 30% of the players to play at least 4 events have a stroke average over 72. To put that in to context, only 6% of PGA Tour players (11/191) had a stoke average of 72 or worse in 2022.

The comparative scoring averages are even worse when you consider the original tour numbers I posted were not their actual strokes but the field adjusted numbers. I just updated them. If you go by raw scoring, the gap gets pretty astronomical…where 85% of the PGA tour is shooting 70.99 or better on average vs. 42% of the LIV roster. And that is even with the LIV events likely having a much lower average par number thus far (71).

DJ was 70.5 scoring average on tour this season in 12 events. DJ is 68.1 scoring average on LIV this season in 5 events.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

If you isolate for a minimum of 4 events played, only 7 players have a stroke average in the 60s: DJ, Grace, Reed, Wolff, Ortiz, Louis and Gooch.

11 have a stroke average of 72 or worse!!! McDowell, Mickelson, Wiesberger, Piot, Swafford, Kaewkanjana, Ormsby, Norris, Pettit, Kim, Morgan.

Two courses have been par 70 and one par 71. 30% of the players to play at least 4 events have a stroke average over 72. To put that in to context, only 6% of PGA Tour players (11/191) had a stoke average of 72 or worse in 2022.

Interesting - I wonder if the courses on the regular tour events are just too soft at the moment?  I didn't watch the PGA event last weekend, but the rough certainly looked challenging at Boston(Liv). In this respect, I think LIV events are perhaps a bit more like the US Open , where par is considered a good score, as opposed to the PGA which maybe felt the need to live up their "live under par" slogan.

Edited by Moxley

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Moxley said:

Interesting - I wonder if the courses on the regular tour events are just too soft at the moment?

All evidence speaks to the opposite.

31 minutes ago, Moxley said:

In this respect, I think LIV events are perhaps a bit more like the US Open , where par is considered a good score

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Dude. No. Might be the dumbest thing I will read this week.

Of the 28 guys who had a decent amount of PGA Tour metrics:

• 10 guys are 2+ shots better
  • 16 guys are 1-2 shots better
  • Only 4 of 28 are worse, none by more than 0.82 strokes.

Again, another shout out to one of the money list leaders Pat Perez somehow being worse than he was on the PGA Tour stroke average wise.

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1