IGNORED

2-Year Golfer Looking to Upgrade My Clubs

EricBro
Note: This thread is 1501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been playing for two years with my starter set (Strata, marketed by Callaway).  Still struggling at the game (30 handicap), but I tried a couple of other clubs and I know I can do better than what I've got.  I stopped by Dick's one day and hit a Callaway Rogue X and a Ping (can't remember the model) 7-iron.  Definitely liked the Rogue better than the Ping - felt like there was more mass, and the Trackman said I was hitting it about 25 yards farther than my current clubs and the Ping.

There happened to be a Golf Show in town today and I hit with both a TourEdge (which I had previously swung at a Demo Day) and Callaway (with their Mavrik Max).  I like them both, but swinging them was not consecutive - they were at different places at the show.  I have one course here in town that fits and sells TourEdge (they set me up on a launch monitor at the show and were able to give me some numbers).  And, of course, there are multiple Callaway dealers, just not at that course.  The TourEdge guys were touting the price difference, but based in internet pricing at each manufacturer's website, they're only about $300 apart, so not a relevant difference.

Not sure how to do a valid comparison of the two.  Any thoughts?

If you're serious about new clubs, go get fit. It will cost $50 - $150 depending on where, and most places will apply the fitting to the price of new clubs if you buy from them. I wanted new irons, and went to Golf Galaxy. First question they ask is your handicap. Second, price range. I had hit the rogue x last year, really liked it, but wasn't ready. I went with the idea of buying new Callaways. I tried Cobra SZ, and it was best for my swing. I bought 8 clubs for $914. 

Distance is secondary. Pay attention to the dispersal. I have a problem with fitting because I start playing trackman ball. I try to bash the ball and see the result instead of just swinging. Don't fall into that trap. As a bonus, the fitters are generally pretty decent golfers and they can offer tips.

You can't buy a game, but you can buy a better game. 

I went back to the show the next day. I was going to give it another try, even though they weren't next to each other, but the Callaway guy was gone. In talking to the Tour Edge guy, it turns out that they also have Callaway but don't they have the Mavrik in yet. I'm going to check back in with him every week until he gets it, then he'll fit me with whichever I decide I like. I know I'm limiting myself with only 2 brands to choose from, but I think I like them both and more choices would probably only confuse me.  I'll post back once I've tried them. 

On 2/21/2020 at 10:34 PM, EricBro said:

I know I'm limiting myself with only 2 brands to choose from, but I think I like them both and more choices would probably only confuse me.  I'll post back once I've tried them. 

Golf is a mind game. Whatever you choose should feel good to you, make you happy, make you want to go to the range, want to play. Don't worry about finding the exact right club, worry about finding one you love, that feels good, that makes you not regret parting with the cash!

Good luck.

Get a fitting even if the fitting costs you a few extra bucks. Clubs are expensive and last for years. Even a properly fit driver can last you 10 years. 

Bring your current 7i with you when you go for a fitting. Warm up, and hit 3 balls with that, then 3 balls with the new 7i, then 3 balls with your current 7i, then go back to the new one. The reason to bring your old one is for a baseline. Try more than one brand. You'll have these for 5 to 10 years.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Best thing to do would be go for a fitting. See what the numbers say, and how each feels to you.

I hope my sig line doesn't seem confusing. For the past few years, I have been playing both Callaway and Tour Edge.

My last three drivers have been Callaways.

The past two seasons, the Exotics XRails and the Callaway Alpha 815s have been competing for the FW slots.

And, my last iron set before the Exotics CB Pro Tungstens were Calla X20 Tours.

Although I really like the Callaway wedges now in my bag, somehow I have an Exotics 46, 50 and 58 leaning against the wall at home.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• iacas changed the title to 2-Year Golfer Looking to Upgrade My Clubs

@colin007 I still like the Exotics stuff, still have the blades my CBX 4-wood, wedges, (some asshole stole my putter). But I’ve moved on to Srixon/Cleveland as my primary club manufacturer, almost went to England and got an Orka fitting but I digress.

I believe that @EricBro would benefit from a dynamic fitting it’s worth the money. I’ve had one done your game will get much much better. 

Any GI or SGI iron model will work. But here’s a query have you considered Maltby by Golfworks? It will save you money over OEMs. But it doesn’t sound like money is the issue.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Here is some advice from a guitar channel.  Make a list of what you want in your new guitar (substitute "clubs") and then look for something that meets those criteria.  The point is to ignore the brand name, as much as possible, and focus on the features you want.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, Piz said:

Here is some advice from a guitar channel.  Make a list of what you want in your new guitar (substitute "clubs") and then look for something that meets those criteria.  The point is to ignore the brand name, as much as possible, and focus on the features you want.  

I like the guitar analogy. With that you might want a higher output bridge pick-up or humbuckers with coil splitting (my LP does that).

With golf clubs it’s the same animal. What kind of profile are you looking for? Do you want more forgiveness? What kind of top line do you want to look at? What shafts are you looking for? Then go get fit and your clubs will be built for you, and they check all those boxes.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

I like the guitar analogy. With that you might want a higher output bridge pick-up or humbuckers with coil splitting (my LP does that).

With golf clubs it’s the same animal. What kind of profile are you looking for? Do you want more forgiveness? What kind of top line do you want to look at? What shafts are you looking for? Then go get fit and your clubs will be built for you, and they check all those boxes.

Gretsch  White Falcon....

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

16 hours ago, colin007 said:

Strandberg 6 string

Warmoth kit 7 string

Haven’t tried a 7 string yet. I think the point is thought with anything, you look at the features that you want. Look at which models have those features. Then narrow it down from there.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

So my guy who has the Tour Edge clubs won't get the Callaways until later in the month. But the more I think about it, the less comfortable I get with only comparing two sets. So I went to Dick's where they carry all the brands (other than Tour Edge) that I'm interested in after having read GolfDigests rankings of Super Game Improvement irons. 

The guy at Dick's said he'd do a fitting (measuring, using tape on the club face to see my stroke pattern, using tape on the sole to check my lie, etc.) AFTER I've decided on which clubs I want. Does this sound right? Also, there are 4 or 6 clubs that intrigued me, but he indicated he'd limit me to 3 sets (probably because his system will only compare 3 at a time).  Sounds wrong to me.   And... no Trackman.  Opinions?

9 hours ago, EricBro said:

The guy at Dick's said he'd do a fitting (measuring, using tape on the club face to see my stroke pattern, using tape on the sole to check my lie, etc.) AFTER I've decided on which clubs I want. Does this sound right? Also, there are 4 or 6 clubs that intrigued me, but he indicated he'd limit me to 3 sets (probably because his system will only compare 3 at a time).  Sounds wrong to me.   And... no Trackman.  Opinions?

It sounds like you serious about getting new clubs and being fit for them. If this is the case, I would find a better fitter. It's going to cost you, but it will be worth it to have someone that truly cares about getting you into the eoght set of clubs instead of caring about you getting out the door. 

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

14 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

It sounds like you serious about getting new clubs and being fit for them. If this is the case, I would find a better fitter. It's going to cost you, but it will be worth it to have someone that truly cares about getting you into the eoght set of clubs instead of caring about you getting out the door. 

I agree. I think you are much better off making sure that the person helping you knows what they are doing and has your best interests in mind. Even if it ups your cost a little, at least you will have the confidence you are making as informed of a decision as possible.

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

Note: This thread is 1501 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!