IGNORED

Is Golf Available Where You Live? (COVID-19 Edition)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

COVID-19 and Golf  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are golf courses near you open for play? (Please change your vote as the situation changes.)

• Almost all are open.
    • Some golf courses are still open for play.
    • No golf courses near me are open for play due to COVID-19.
  2. 2. What modifications have golf courses that are open for play made? Select all that apply.

• Limited restaurant/pro shop/clubhouse access.
    • No indoor access at all.
    • Removed ball washers and/or rakes from the course.
    • Tee times spaced further apart.
    • Carts limited to single riders.
    • No carts at all - walking only.
    • Raised cups or foam or PVC inserts to minimize contact with the flagstick/hole.
    • Plentiful hand sanitizer solutions.
    • Only members can play - course is closed to guests.
    • Contact reduced or eliminated - payments handled solely online or by phone.
    • Modifications to group size - twosomes only, threesomes only, family members only, etc.
    • Course is closed.

@cooke119 NYS golf courses opening 4/27. No carts at all. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Golf courses in NJ are still closed. I was just thinking even if they were open, they’d probably be very busy. A lot of people have more free time now and there are those that might play once or twice a year that would probably be playing just because there isn’t much else to do.

This thread is quickly becoming my COVID-19 depression thread. I hate you all 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm sure there are a couple of courses somewhat nearby me that I could play. But even when they eventually open, I'd still be hesitant to play. If the ranges aren't packed, I'd start there first, ease my way in. I really don't see playing till June, at the earliest, I'm pretty much expecting July or August.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Kind of a mixed bag here in North Texas. Our Fort Worth City-owned munis don't allow carts...walking only unless you have a handicap placard and then it's 1 per cart. But I counted about 8 public fee courses that have carts and allow riders.

All enforce all the social distancing safety rules ya'll have discussed.

Dallas however had fewer courses open I believe and just now a couple have opened. So Dallas golfers have been filling up our courses...Very hard to get a tee time regardless what the rules are.

I've just been released from a knee replacement. I wanted to golf with my buddies for the first time in a long time. But can't get a tee time except a single in the very early morning or late PM. Oh well..I really need to practice. Best to all and stay safe, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

29 minutes ago, billchao said:

Golf courses in NJ are still closed. I was just thinking even if they were open, they’d probably be very busy. A lot of people have more free time now and there are those that might play once or twice a year that would probably be playing just because there isn’t much else to do.

This thread is quickly becoming my COVID-19 depression thread. I hate you all 😜

I hear you Bill.  We have one course that is secretly open, in defiance of the Governor's order.  Every day it gets busier and busier as more golfers find out about it.

Also, in my area, 2 courses are closing permanently.  So when things open back up (Maybe May 5th) each remaining course will probably be busier.  And based on the economic rule of scarcity and demand, prices will probably go up.

So I'm feeling the depression, too.

I guess another result of COVID-19 will be that I will have a spray bottle of disinfectant in my bag for sure, alcohol or bleach, whatever. Not sure what golfing with a mask is gonna be like, I've already gotten used to a mask while running and biking so not a huge adjustment. I guess I will avoid the bathroom as well.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

...in my bag for sure, alcohol ...

Oh hey, I've carried alcohol in my bag for years...

To be serious, as long as you follow the social distancing rules you should be fine.  Unless you have an open cut on your hand or touch your face, you can't infect yourself.  Don't let anyone talk at you or sneeze at you from a close distance.  When I finish my round I keep hand sanitizer in my car and use it in case I've touched anything already infected.

I played early March, like a week or two before everything shutdown and I was like, should I even be out here, but I really wanted to play. Was prepared for folks in group to refrain from shaking hands, but they offered and I did. One guy made an eagle and I normally would have offered a high five, but refrained. Didn't touch the flagstick and did not putt out as much. Went straight home and washed hands.

Steve

3 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I played early March, like a week or two before everything shutdown and I was like, should I even be out here, but I really wanted to play. Was prepared for folks in group to refrain from shaking hands, but they offered and I did. One guy made an eagle and I normally would have offered a high five, but I refrained. Didn't touch the flagstick and did not putt out as much. Went straight home and washed hands.

Early March.  Ahh, you're past the 1 - 14 day incubation period.  You're good.  Go shake a hand... 😄

Edited by Double Mocha Man

36 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I hear you Bill.  We have one course that is secretly open, in defiance of the Governor's order.  Every day it gets busier and busier as more golfers find out about it.

Also, in my area, 2 courses are closing permanently.  So when things open back up (Maybe May 5th) each remaining course will probably be busier.  And based on the economic rule of scarcity and demand, prices will probably go up.

So I'm feeling the depression, too.

OK...let the cat out of the bag....what course is open?.....I assume they could be fined if found out?....but likely the green fees captured would easily offset the fine?

OK...which courses are closing permanently?

I don't know how many Canadians have been coming down to Bellingham to golf in the last few years...but the border closure must really affect all businesses in Bellingham. My wife has a Nexus card to go shopping with her gal pals.

I used to cross the border to play golf decades ago....lots of good courses across the border....but have only played once in the last 15 years??....2016 at Semiahmoo because I got a 2 for 1 coupon from a resort manager.

If you figure out a secret place...you could hop a fence and play Peace Portal....lol......about 75% of the public courses here are now open.

36 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Unless you have an open cut on your hand or touch your face, you can't infect yourself. 

I'm not aware the virus can infect you through a cut. The virus could certainly enter your body through a cut, but it has to actually attach on specific cells to reproduce, doesn't it?

31 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Went straight home and washed hands.

You would have needed to wash your hands before you went home. Preferably before you got into your car and touched your door handle, steering wheel, seat belt buckle, radio, etc.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

OK...let the cat out of the bag....what course is open?.....I assume they could be fined if found out?....but likely the green fees captured would easily offset the fine?

OK...which courses are closing permanently?

I don't know how many Canadians have been coming down to Bellingham to golf in the last few years...but the border closure must really affect all businesses in Bellingham. My wife has a Nexus card to go shopping with her gal pals.

I used to cross the border to play golf decades ago....lots of good courses across the border....but have only played once in the last 15 years??....2016 at Semiahmoo because I got a 2 for 1 coupon from a resort manager.

If you figure out a secret place...you could hop a fence and play Peace Portal....lol......about 75% of the public courses here are now open.

Homestead Farms Golf Course, owned by Morris Chen of B.C. is the course in question.  No flagsticks, no greens fees.  As Phil, of this forum mentioned earlier, his course, Eaglemont, has permanently closed.  The other closure, though I can't confirm it, is the aforementioned Homestead Farms.  The island 18th green will now become a fishin' hole.

28 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I played early March, like a week or two before everything shutdown and I was like, should I even be out here, but I really wanted to play. 

When I returned home after 2 months in Ontario....I felt a bit guilty playing on Mar 26...but with more courses opening up here on a week by week basis....I don't feel as guilty out playing golf.....I have played 4 other times since. Basically all courses open have full tee sheets......it is easy to physical distance playing golf....on 2 lousy weather days I played on my own.

1 minute ago, billchao said:

I'm not aware the virus can infect you through a cut. The virus could certainly enter your body through a cut, but it has to actually attach on specific cells to reproduce, doesn't it?

I'm not a scientist in that area but I'm taking no chances.  Can't even chew a cuticle on occasion anymore...

7 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Homestead Farms Golf Course, owned by Morris Chen of B.C. is the course in question.  No flagsticks, no greens fees.  As Phil, of this forum mentioned earlier, his course, Eaglemont, has permanently closed.  The other closure, though I can't confirm it, is the aforementioned Homestead Farms.  The island 18th green will now become a fishin' hole.

Unaware of my fellow countryman Vancouverite, Morris Chen, and didn't know he owned Homestead....I like Homestead.....close to the border......sounds like Homestead isn't open....just seems like golfers are trespassing..... and if indeed they are permanently closing...they can't be bothered hiring security guards.

Homestead had some good twilight rates and the Canadian peso offered at par....but still not enough incentive for me to cross the border lately.

IMO...the most boring course down there is Bellingham North...though it does have good winter conditions.

I was unaware of Eaglemont closing....only played it once...back in 2000 on a trip back home from a couples vacation trip to Sandpines on the Victoria long weekend trip. 

The Chinese bought out Point Roberts (now Bald Eagle).....I expect further financial difficulty for them....though it might be a real estate play....and so 'dirty' Chinese money.😁🤣. Played it in 2013 and it was a baked out dirt pit....ok....I forgot played there in 2013.

3 minutes ago, Mr22putt said:

Unaware of my fellow countryman Vancouverite, Morris Chen, and didn't know he owned Homestead....I like Homestead.....close to the border......sounds like Homestead isn't open....just seems like golfers are trespassing.....

I called them 2 weeks ago  and someone in the pro shop answered and said the course was open, play with social distancing rules.  She wouldn't even let me pay by card by phone.  

• Administrator

If your state has opened up, change your votes.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/22/2020 at 10:14 AM, RoberX said:

I live in Indianapolis, In. Which is located in Marion County. The Mayor of Marion County has closed all golf courses until May 1st but all surrounding county golf course are open. I live less than 15 minutes to courses that are open. I have been playing every weekend and find that the course are crazy busy! I couldn't even find a parking space last Saturday when i played! I had to park in the grass!

Don't you mean the Mayor of Indianapolis? I wasn't aware that counties had mayors. Around here, all city parks have been closed by order of the Mayor, county metroparks remain open. That's where I do my walking. 

On 4/23/2020 at 3:27 PM, cutchemist42 said:

See the thing is, with the benefits the Canadian government has been giving out, I'm not sure if it might not make sense for some courses to open.

City courses have already set their rates before this, and I'm not sure if they are allowed to adjust them as whole new green fees are likely needed to make 20 min tee times make economic sense. Semi privates might be able to accommodate it.

I just dont get the difference between groups of 4 having maybe 150 yards of clearance vs 2-3 holes or clearance?

Wow! You folks in Canada must play really fast! 2-3 holes in 20 minutes? That's getting it done! Don't get me wrong, I'd love to be able to play that fast! Hasn't happened in 40+ years since I was young, could play really well, and walked and carried. I could play 9 in an hour and 20 minutes if no one held me up! 

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!