IGNORED

General COVID-19 Topic

• Administrator
1 hour ago, David in FL said:

It’s worth remembering that only about 50% of the population even gets an annual flu shot.

Once the Covid vaccine becomes an annual requirement, it seems to me that compliance will likely drop significantly there too.

The question also remains, how long will the government (taxpayers) foot the bill?  

The government doesn’t pay for the flu shot. Neither do I.

And we don’t know at this point if it will become an “annual requirement.”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, iacas said:

The government doesn’t pay for the flu shot. Neither do I.

Most people pay for it indirectly through insurance premiums. Many people pay for it out of pocket because of insurance deductibles.  Regardless, that’s my point.  Once we start paying for everybody to have one vaccine, where does it stop?  A slippery slope.

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

In front of Ontario parliament building. 

BAD75287-5A33-4052-B3FD-7A50277AD73B.jpeg

Funny!  I hope he doesn't start throwing molotov cocktails or Arnold Palmers at the police.

Just now, David in FL said:

Most people pay for it indirectly through insurance premiums. Many people pay for it out of pocket because of insurance deductibles.  Regardless, that’s my point.  Once we start paying for everybody to have one vaccine, where does it stop?  A slippery slope.

It stops with covid-19, until another pandemic comes along.

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

If you find yourself saying “slippery slope,” you should just stop… 🙂

Explanation and examples about the Slippery Slope fallcy.

It’s not entirely that, but… still. Let’s see where it goes.

And insurance companies would rather pay for a vaccine than a person getting COVID.

P.S. The flu shot costs about $40.

13 minutes ago, David in FL said:

A slippery slope.

Slippery slope seems to be akin to the ol' domino theory.  I've read that it was a common term during the war in Vietnam that suggests if one county falls to communism then all the other countries will also fall.  Didn't happen.

• Administrator
original.jpg

Governments need to give Americans an off-ramp to the post-pandemic world. Ending outdoor mask requirements would be a good place to start.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:
original.jpg

Governments need to give Americans an off-ramp to the...

I love the seat belt analogy.  I still won't dine or drink indoors unless I'm sitting next to a window or an open front door. I'm an outdoor patio kind of guy.

8 hours ago, iacas said:
original.jpg

Governments need to give Americans an off-ramp to the post-pandemic world. Ending outdoor mask requirements would be a good place to start.

I was at my daughter's soccer game this weekend. Outdoors, breezy, sunny. Everyone was sitting at least 10-15 feet apart around the field. Some sort of field director came by on a golf cart and told everyone they needed to wear a mask. There were a lot of sighs and groans. In the conversation that followed we said a lot of what this article states, that requiring masks when they aren't necessary contributes to mask "fatigue". People are more willing to follow rules when they make sense. Much like the excess sanitizing that continues despite proof that Covid doesn't spread on surfaces, the use of masks outdoors, when spaced out, can come to an end and give some hope. Thanks for sharing this. 

• Administrator

I chuckle at how much cleaning occurs sometimes.

Look I’ll take cleaner surfaces, but it’s theater and old policies that nobody’s revoked. Little more.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Braivo said:

I was at my daughter's soccer game this weekend. Outdoors, breezy, sunny. Everyone was sitting at least 10-15 feet apart around the field. Some sort of field director came by on a golf cart and told everyone they needed to wear a mask. There were a lot of sighs and groans. In the conversation that followed we said a lot of what this article states, that requiring masks when they aren't necessary contributes to mask "fatigue". People are more willing to follow rules when they make sense. Much like the excess sanitizing that continues despite proof that Covid doesn't spread on surfaces, the use of masks outdoors, when spaced out, can come to an end and give some hope. Thanks for sharing this. 

If you were all watching a boring outdoor movie and normally breathing I wouldn't think masks were necessary. But it's a soccer game! Lots of cheering, screaming and shouting that can carry aerosolized droplets easily up to 15 feet. Air currents would factor in here, as well.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

15 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

If you were all watching a boring outdoor movie and normally breathing I wouldn't think masks were necessary. But it's a soccer game! Lots of cheering, screaming and shouting that can carry aerosolized droplets easily up to 15 feet. Air currents would factor in here, as well.

Overkill. 

CP17411877-e1618854024164.jpg?quality=85

With natural ventilation, UV light from the sun and now warmer weather, the risk of COVID-19 spread outside is low, research suggests.

“The biggest risk outdoors is if you’re in a face-to-face conversation with someone for a while unmasked,”

“Outside, you have perfect ventilation. Virus particles are rapidly dispersed.”

Additionally, the ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun can have a sterilizing effect, experts say.

5 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Perfect karma.

7 minutes ago, Braivo said:

Overkill. 

CP17411877-e1618854024164.jpg?quality=85

With natural ventilation, UV light from the sun and now warmer weather, the risk of COVID-19 spread outside is low, research suggests.

Did anything in that article speak to screaming and shouting? Over the course of an hour and a half?  Don't be a Ted Nugent.

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Did anything in that article speak to screaming and shouting? Over the course of an hour and a half?  Don't be a Ted Nugent.

The original article posted by @iacas and the subsequent one I posted both made the point that requiring masks in situations that don't warrant their use leads to less compliance in situations where they matter. The only evidence of outdoor transmission occurred with CLOSE, SUSTAINED contact. 10-15 feet apart, intermittently screaming, does not constitute close or sustained contact. 

On another note, my local high school is holding prom, but it's outside and no dancing is permitted. They've replaced it with lawn games like cornhole. Guess what's happening? People are hosting their own private "Prom" at homes, which is far more likely to be indoors, unmasked, etc. In other words, the public policies sometimes have unintended negative consequences. 

8 minutes ago, Braivo said:

The original article posted by @iacas and the subsequent one I posted both made the point that requiring masks in situations that don't warrant their use leads to less compliance in situations where they matter. The only evidence of outdoor transmission occurred with CLOSE, SUSTAINED contact. 10-15 feet apart, intermittently screaming, does not constitute close or sustained contact. 

On another note, my local high school is holding prom, but it's outside and no dancing is permitted. They've replaced it with lawn games like cornhole. Guess what's happening? People are hosting their own private "Prom" at homes, which is far more likely to be indoors, unmasked, etc. In other words, the public policies sometimes have unintended negative consequences. 

Just make sure you are sitting, standing upwind of those who are cheering, screaming, shouting. Stay safe, stay healthy.

15 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I love the seat belt analogy.  I still won't dine or drink indoors unless I'm sitting next to a window or an open front door. I'm an outdoor patio kind of guy.

Ditto.  I won't dine indoors but will take any outdoor patio table.