IGNORED

When People Hit Into You…

dagolfer18
Note: This thread is 1472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

17 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Do you honestly think this? If so, how in the world do you go golfing? Less than 1 person per year is killed by a golf ball. Spectators get hit all the time at pro events. Get real. 

I still don't condone hitting into people but you are acting like hes randomly shooting bullets out of a rifle at you. It may be more likely for you to win the powerball than die from a golf ball. 

I don't know if you're being stupid or just trying to rile me up.  Yes, a golf ball to the head can kill someone.  The fact that the shot went OVER my head indicates it was in range to hit someone in the head.  So if you want to line up your kids or grand children on the green and let people hit shots at them, then go ahead.  But if you purposely hit at me or my kids or maybe someday my grandchildren, I'm not afraid to scream bloody murder at you.

• Upvote 2

Personally, I've been hit twice by golf balls. Oddly, both times in the left thigh. I'm sure neither time was the person trying to move me along. Both times it was because they hit a very errant shot. I honestly can't remember ever being "hit into". Every time I've had a ball come close or hit me was because the person hit the ball no where near where they were intending to hit it. 

Once last year I hit over a couple of guys on the very first tee. In fairness the starter told us to tee off not realizing there was a pair of carts still down in a little gully on the first hole. I was playing with a gentleman I'd never met before and all of a sudden this guy and his 3 playing partners kind of appear out of nowhere. He starts reading us the riot act as we are walking to hit our second shots. I tried to apologize. I even offered to pay for his round. He wasn't having it. The dude was properly pissed-off. He told me I ruined his round. I'm thinking "It's the first hole." But what ever? Some people just want to go through life angry. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, gbogey said:

I don't know if you're being stupid or just trying to rile me up.  Yes, a golf ball to the head can kill someone.  The fact that the shot went OVER my head indicates it was in range to hit someone in the head.  So if you want to line up your kids or grand children on the green and let people hit shots at them, then go ahead.  But if you purposely hit at me or my kids or maybe someday my grandchildren, I'm not afraid to scream bloody murder at you.

I think you need to check the facts on golf ball deaths. Im just trying to use reason. Obviously no one wants to be hit into, I just think you are exaggerating the risk involved.  It's hard enough for most players to hit the green, let alone a person, and depending on the club they hit into the green the biggest risk most likely is a lump somewhere. I don't know the whole situation but if that guy just caught you on the last hole, then I understand your anger. If he (or his group) had been tight behind you for more that 3 holes and there was no one in front of you, I think you are wrong for not letting them play through. I'm not trying to rile you up, just letting you know that dying from a golf ball is unlikely in the extreme. 

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

Obviously the odds of getting killed by a golf ball are pretty small, but the buggers can definitely do some damage. Certainly enough damage to make hitting into someone on purpose  unacceptable.

Last year I got hit in the shoulder when I assumed I was safe to proceed to my ball. The young guy hit what I could only describe as a reverse shank. The bastard went much further left that it did forward. Still don't know how he managed it.

My arm was funny colors for the next three weeks, Six inches up and who knows.

Edited by mcanadiens

2 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Do you honestly think this? If so, how in the world do you go golfing? Less than 1 person per year is killed by a golf ball. Spectators get hit all the time at pro events. Get real. 

I still don't condone hitting into people but you are acting like hes randomly shooting bullets out of a rifle at you. It may be more likely for you to win the powerball than die from a golf ball. 

Have you been hit by a well struck golf ball?  My college roommate had only sight in one eye from being hit by a golf ball. I have had a concussion from taking a ball to the head.  One may argue about the death rate from golf ball strikes but getting hit by a flying golf ball is dangerous to one's health.  It is bad enough that people with very low skill are accidentally sending balls all over the place. When people begin to intentionally fire shots at other players, no matter what the perceived problem, a line needs to be drawn.  Quote all the stats you want, I disagree with your attempt to minimize the danger of the situation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Brian Kuehn

Just now, bkuehn1952 said:

Have you been hit by a well struck golf ball?  My college roommate had only sight in one eye from being hit by a golf ball. I have had a concussion from taking a ball to the head.  One may argue about the death rate from golf ball strikes but getting hit by a flying golf ball is dangerous to one's health.  It is bad enough that people with very low skill are accidentally sending balls all over the place. When people begin to intentionally fire shots at other players, no matter what the perceived problem, a line needs to be drawn.  Quote all the stats you want, I disagree with your attempt to minimize the danger of the situation.

He said "easily killed", that was the only part I was referencing. If you agree with that, then I don't know what to tell you except to stay off the golf course if it's that easy to die from a golf ball. I've already said multiple times that I don't condone hitting into people

• Like 1
  • :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

7 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Admittedly OT, but just wanted to say that you have always had the best avatar - love me some Megan Fox 🤤

🍺. I'll drink to that!

But I was just wondering if they were slowing up everyone behind them.  Granted they should never hit into them, but I can see how frustration can set in if the group behind them were always waiting when the OP's group has fallen behind.  Usually, I would complain to the marshal.  But most of the marshals on public courses do not seem to do much except just driving around. 

In fact, i had some marshals tell me that even though the group in front was a hole behind, as long as they are "keeping pace" with their allotted time, it was ok.  Seriously?  Your pace of place is to keep up with the group in front regardless of what the "allotted time" is.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

DISCLAIMER:  You should never, never hit into anyone.

John, a golfing buddy was having a terrible day of golf, multiple bad shots, hot and humid summer day.  The group in front of us was deliberately slow from the first hole on, two holes behind the group in front.  On #14 John was seething and with that group 280 yards out he hit his best drive of the day... straight down the middle, about 290 yards.  When we got to the fairway John's ball was missing... no way it shouldn't be right there.  So John calls out to the group in front of us... "Did you see my ball?"  "Nope, nope, nope", they answered.  Well, John walked the 100 yards right up to them, looked the most guilty-looking guy in the face and picked up his bag, turned it upside down and shook it.  Out came John's ball.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

He said "easily killed", that was the only part I was referencing. If you agree with that, then I don't know what to tell you except to stay off the golf course if it's that easy to die from a golf ball. I've already said multiple times that I don't condone hitting into people

Let it go. Getting hit by a golf ball is extremely dangerous, even if it's only rarely life threatening.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I was playing with a Marine Colonel once in Hawaii.  A big, bulldog of a man.  Stocky build, tall, thick neck.  Well, somehow he got drilled by a 3 wood at 40 yards in the back of the neck.  Laid him out on the fairway.  Eventually he got up, rubbing his neck, and continued to play.  Marines are tough, but I bet he had a sore neck the next day...

3 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

He said "easily killed"

Easy or not, it makes no difference when you are killed. And not only don't you want to be on the receiving end of that, obviously, you don't want to be the guy that hit that shot either.

I once hit a player sitting in his cart to the left of the green, by the next hole, and caught him at the very top of his shoulder; a few inches higher and I don't know what would have happened. I yelled "fore" several times but for some reason (wind against?), he didn't hear it. I just felt gutted and even after he assured me that he was fine and told me that as a veteran he "had been shot at with worst than golf balls" (his words), I still had a very hard time continuing the round. I can't imagine what I would have felt if I actually killed the guy...

Edited by sjduffers
  • Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

2 hours ago, Yukari said:

Your pace of place is to keep up with the group in front regardless of what the "allotted time" is.

I don't really agree with this as a broad statement. What if you have a foursome and the group in front of you is a threesome? Surely you don't expect the foursome to keep up with the threesome right? Or what if the foursome in front of you are regulars who play the course every week, know the bounces like the back of their hand, rarely lose balls or hit errant shots, pride themselves on how quickly they can finish a round, and your group consists of four people playing the course for the first time and tend to be more wild off the tee, lose more balls, but still maintain a 3:45-4 hour pace. As long as that group isn't holding up people behind them, I don't see why they need to keep pace with the obviously much faster group in front of them.

I almost think it should be the other way around, your pace of play can be as slow as it wants as long as it doesn't slow down a group behind you, and if you can't/don't want to maintain a quick enough pace and the group behind you is waiting, let them through. 

Regardless of how slow a group in front of you is going, it's never justified to hit into them on purpose.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I was playing with a Marine Colonel once in Hawaii.  A big, bulldog of a man.  Stocky build, tall, thick neck.  Well, somehow he got drilled by a 3 wood at 40 yards in the back of the neck.  Laid him out on the fairway.  Eventually he got up, rubbing his neck, and continued to play.  Marines are tough, but I bet he had a sore neck the next day...

I'm sorry I had trouble concentrating after you said you were playing in Hawaii...………………...

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

50 minutes ago, klineka said:

I don't really agree with this as a broad statement. What if you have a foursome and the group in front of you is a threesome? Surely you don't expect the foursome to keep up with the threesome right? Or what if the foursome in front of you are regulars who play the course every week, know the bounces like the back of their hand, rarely lose balls or hit errant shots, pride themselves on how quickly they can finish a round, and your group consists of four people playing the course for the first time and tend to be more wild off the tee, lose more balls, but still maintain a 3:45-4 hour pace. As long as that group isn't holding up people behind them, I don't see why they need to keep pace with the obviously much faster group in front of them.

I almost think it should be the other way around, your pace of play can be as slow as it wants as long as it doesn't slow down a group behind you, and if you can't/don't want to maintain a quick enough pace and the group behind you is waiting, let them through. 

Regardless of how slow a group in front of you is going, it's never justified to hit into them on purpose.

You can only be hit into if you are holding someone up. The execption to this is if you are also being held up (not your fault). I agree woth almost everything you've said otherwise. 

• iacas changed the title to When People Hit Into You…
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

I think you need to check the facts on golf ball deaths. Im just trying to use reason. Obviously no one wants to be hit into, I just think you are exaggerating the risk involved.

Even if he is exaggerating the risk, it's > 0, so that makes it something that should not ever happen intentionally.

You've now driven three OB, @Bonvivant. I suggest you re-evaluate your strategy here.

2 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

You can only be hit into if you are holding someone up.

Untrue.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

Even if he is exaggerating the risk, it's > 0, so that makes it something that should not ever happen intentionally.

You've now driven three OB, @Bonvivant. I suggest you re-evaluate your strategy here.

Untrue.

I was just stating that he exaggerated it.

How else can you get hit into besides wayward shots and someone behind you?

Note: This thread is 1472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!